Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can you Adam and Eve it?

Can you Adam and Eve it?

Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future
Default Can you Adam and Eve it?

I had a 500 Euro note and was shopping in Caprabo. When I came to the checkout, they said that they could not accept a 500 Euro note, maximum 100 Euro! I paid by credit card.

Yesterday I bought diesel and the same thing happened at the garage.

So, I went to my bank in Santa Ponsa to change it. At the cash desk, guess what, they said that they could not change it!!!! Maximum 100 Euro!!!!

They said that by law I had to pay in the 500 Euro into my account, then withdraw 500 Euro in smaller notes.

So that is what I did!

What the bl**dy hell is all that about???

Martin
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:18 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you Adam and Eve it?

Originally Posted by mrcusa
I had a 500 Euro note and was shopping in Caprabo. When I came to the checkout, they said that they could not accept a 500 Euro note, maximum 100 Euro! I paid by credit card.

So, I went to my bank in Santa Ponsa to change it. At the cash desk, guess what, they said that they could not change it!!!! Maximum 100 Euro!!!!

They said that by law I had to pay in the 500 Euro into my account, then withdraw 500 Euro in smaller notes.

So that is what I did!

Martin
They are only for buying houses, cars, and paying rent ;-)
Most garages only take up to 100€ notes, 500€`s is a lot of dosh to loose if its a dodgy note and they can`t trace it back to you.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:18 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

what? even at the bank they didn't want to change it?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by anabella
what? even at the bank they didn't want to change it?

Exactly! You can accept maybe a garage, or at a push a supermarket, but a bank!!

The bank would not split the note!! They said it was against the law!

It certainly is not an issue at all in Germany, Austria et all..

Martin
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:33 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly! You can accept maybe a garage, or at a push a supermarket, but a bank!!

The bank would not split the note!! They said it was against the law!

It certainly is not an issue at all in Germany, Austria et all..

Martin
I know, money laundering laws are tough aren't they??
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I know, money laundering laws are tough aren't they??

In the US for example, all transactions over $10,000 have to be notified.

In the UK, I believe it is £10,000

Spain 500 Euro?????????

Are you suggesting that Spain is concentrating on 500 Euro, while at the same time thousands of Euros are passed under the table each day in Spain in black money on property transactions?

Nothing like being able to see the big picture!!!

Martin
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

So that is what I did!

Martin
Money laundering is a possible reason, but much more likely is the worry about forged notes. There are quite a lot of forged 500 euro notes about, so they only allow you to put them in your account, then withdraw the money, if the note then is shown to be forged, they just take the money back from your account.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:46 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

In the US for example, all transactions over $10,000 have to be notified.

In the UK, I believe it is £10,000

Spain 500 Euro?????????

Are you suggesting that Spain is concentrating on 500 Euro, while at the same time thousands of Euros are passed under the table each day in Spain in black money on property transactions?

Nothing like being able to see the big picture!!!

Martin
Its less in the UK, but you have to remember that Spain was THE main place for money laundering in Europe.

As to the Black money its not legal so shouldn't really even be considered in the same sentence as the 500 euro discussion.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Its less in the UK, but you have to remember that Spain was THE main place for money laundering in Europe.

As to the Black money its not legal so shouldn't really even be considered in the same sentence as the 500 euro discussion.
It should be absolutely considered.

All money laundering is illegal.

Therefore passing thousands under the table should concentrate human resources, attention and the passing of new laws rather than the splitting of a 500 Euro note.

Once they have black money in property related transactions under control, they could then quantify the risk in splitting a 500 Euro note at the bank.

It is all about priorities.

Martin
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:59 am
Straw Man.

It should be absolutely considered.

All money laundering is illegal.

Therefore passing thousands under the table should concentrate human resources, attention and the passing of new laws rather than the splitting of a 500 Euro note.

Once they have black money in property related transactions under control, they could then quantify the risk in splitting a 500 Euro note at the bank.

It is all about priorities.

Martin
You miss my point.

While I accept that it is illegal, and something needs to be done, to discuss the fact that you cant break a 500 note AND black money in the same discussion doesnt make sense, in my opinion.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:00 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

I have read somewhere (can't remember which paper it was, probably the Costa Blanca News) but it had said that Spain is one of the EU countries with the largest amount of €500 counterfeit notes and that is why everyone is so weary.

I even refuse €500 notes given to me by the bank when making a withdrawal.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

You miss my point.

While I accept that it is illegal, and something needs to be done, to discuss the fact that you cant break a 500 note AND black money in the same discussion doesnt make sense, in my opinion.

I don't miss the point at all.

You suggested that the reason the problem exists at the bank regarding splitting the 500 Euro note is because of concerns about money laundering.

I am saying that, if you are correct and this is a money laundering issue, they should address the real massive money laundering issues in property transactions before making it unlawful to split a 500 Euro note.

As they seem to concentrate on the piddly little issues instead of the real massive issues, it is probably no wonder Spain is in your words "THE main place for money laundering in Europe"

Martin
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:11 am
Straw Man.

I don't miss the point at all.

You suggested that the reason the problem exists at the bank regarding splitting the 500 Euro note is because of concerns about money laundering.

I am saying that, if you are correct and this is a money laundering issue, they should address the real massive money laundering issues in property transactions before making it unlawful to split a 500 Euro note.

As they seem to concentrate on the piddly little issues instead of the real massive issues, it is probably no wonder Spain is in your words "THE main place for money laundering in Europe"

Martin
Your right, they should address the problem, but I would imagine that the EU told them to get their banks in order first.

That said, I am probably wrong, as it looks more likely that it is more to do with fake notes, so who the hell am I to know??!!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:53 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Over 50% of all 500 € notes in circulation across Europe can be found in Spain. As to the forged issue, it really is a non-issue. From day one most, if not all, places said they would not accept large notes (even your multinationals such as McDonalds etc...) As soon as anyone hands over a 500 € note it is met with suspicion and put under scrutiny. Only a fool would try to pass a forged one. The success of a forger is that as many of his notes as possible get accepted therefore doing forged 500 € notes makes no sense as his success rate would be low. There are far bigger problems with 5 € and 20 € notes.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:59 am
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

I have a winning lottery ticket for sale. Happy to accept payment in 500 € notes. Anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.