Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can I still Live in Spain Permanently ?

Can I still Live in Spain Permanently ?

Old Jul 9th 2017, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I still Live in Spain Permanently ?

Hi, as Bob said above, but perhaps 'fiddle' was a trifle inappropriate. It is what it is, there are many more important things in life. I can say that during all my Government Service (30 years) NOBODY explained or wrote to us to outline the situation. I also paid NI contributions as an Employee in Private Industry, followed by self employed NI after that. Just seems that the Govt touted heavily on the new Pension 'Universally' and in the end it was a damp squib for the likes of me (and Bob!). I am NOT greedy in any way, it just another thing to suck up!

Ho, hum............................................
Old Jul 9th 2017, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
Hi, as Bob said above, but perhaps 'fiddle' was a trifle inappropriate. It is what it is, there are many more important things in life. I can say that during all my Government Service (30 years) NOBODY explained or wrote to us to outline the situation. I also paid NI contributions as an Employee in Private Industry, followed by self employed NI after that. Just seems that the Govt touted heavily on the new Pension 'Universally' and in the end it was a damp squib for the likes of me (and Bob!). I am NOT greedy in any way, it just another thing to suck up!

Ho, hum............................................
I have 40 years service 22 years Forces 18 police. I never paid for military pension it was simply part of the contract so to say. I work out my saving NI on retirement from police was around £4 per month for which I lose £35 per week state pension good odds for government. Another scam with this single tier pension is that if like my wife you paid the extra for SERPs in the belief you were topping up your state pension? In fact now we know the details of how it works if your SERPs would not take you above the £155 they are simply rolled into the single tier pension, so you wasted your money paying for SERPs. You only get additional if your SERPs take you over £155. As you say Lurchio we have to suck it up so far just on this issue for wife and me around £70 per week😤
Old Jul 9th 2017, 2:49 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks chaps, I think it was just one of those things at the time that was taken as read in the public sector and so we wouldn't have received any official notification, personally. Quite simply, I guess some of us were aware of it, others not so.

Anyway, back on topic; Vince Cable reckons there might not be a Brexit after all. For all our sake, and especially the OP's let's hope he's right !
Old Jul 9th 2017, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I have 40 years service 22 years Forces 18 police. I never paid for military pension it was simply part of the contract so to say. I work out my saving NI on retirement from police was around £4 per month for which I lose £35 per week state pension good odds for government. Another scam with this single tier pension is that if like my wife you paid the extra for SERPs in the belief you were topping up your state pension? In fact now we know the details of how it works if your SERPs would not take you above the £155 they are simply rolled into the single tier pension, so you wasted your money paying for SERPs. You only get additional if your SERPs take you over £155. As you say Lurchio we have to suck it up so far just on this issue for wife and me around £70 per week😤
How anyone with the benefit of a public sector pension can complain is beyond me. It's not the £35 week you should be looking at but the benefit gained by being in a public sector scheme. How much does a police pension cost to service. c40% of salary?
I worked throughout in the private sector and also did not benefit as I had been paying serps that pushed me over the £155, effectively meaning most of my serps gave me no benefit despite paying in. I also had my pension reduced as I was contracted out for around 4 years, despite paying in from 16 to 65. Despite that I do think the overhaul of the pensions is for the good.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
How anyone with the benefit of a public sector pension can complain is beyond me. It's not the £35 week you should be looking at but the benefit gained by being in a public sector scheme. How much does a police pension cost to service. c40% of salary?
I worked throughout in the private sector and also did not benefit as I had been paying serps that pushed me over the £155, effectively meaning most of my serps gave me no benefit despite paying in. I also had my pension reduced as I was contracted out for around 4 years, despite paying in from 16 to 65. Despite that I do think the overhaul of the pensions is for the good.
I am not going into a public sector private sector argument. Someone asked a question I gave a reply. Police pensions and other public sector pensions are what they are.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ZanBee
Thank you for your posts folks.

I just don't want to live in the UK anymore and looking for something off the grid/ semi off the grid with good weather most year round, fertile land and a simple, peaceful way of life.

Andalucia has been my number 1 location, but post brexit my dream may not come true.

I have also looked at Indonesia/Malaysia but there are visa issues, making a permanent move there impossible.

Anyone got any other ideas? Have any of you researched New Zealand? South of Turkey is largely agricultural with good weather too.

I'm just desperate to get away from all the troubles of the world and create my own haven with my children.

I lived in Canada for many years. There is plenty of space there and land is relatively cheap outside of the main centres. Cold in winter but there are pros and cons as with everywhere:

https://www.dignam.com/
Old Jul 9th 2017, 3:30 pm
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not going into a public sector private sector argument. Someone asked a question I gave a reply. Police pensions and other public sector pensions are what they are.
So why are you and some of the other posters winging?
Old Jul 9th 2017, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iano
Thanks chaps, I think it was just one of those things at the time that was taken as read in the public sector and so we wouldn't have received any official notification, personally. Quite simply, I guess some of us were aware of it, others not so.

Anyway, back on topic; Vince Cable reckons there might not be a Brexit after all. For all our sake, and especially the OP's let's hope he's right !
I think that Vince Cable has a point but how come 52% of people voted to leave the EU yet over 70% want a 'soft' Brexit? Go figure? I put it down to all of those 'remainers' who never bothered to go out and vote because they thought it was a forgone conclusion we would stay within the EU.

Like Maximillian Rosbpierre said, democracy is not for the masses because they don't know what they are voting for. The UK economy is going down so that will cause many people to rethink and I would not rely on Trump either for a trade deal.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 4:09 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
I think that Vince Cable has a point but how come 52% of people voted to leave the EU yet over 70% want a 'soft' Brexit? Go figure?.
With respect, you're guilty of taking this thread even further off topic !

You might like to take a look in the 'Take it outside !' section for one, where there's an ongoing 'Post EU referendum' thread running, and probably the best place to discuss this complex subject. Think you'll enjoy taking part.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone

Yep, if it benefits the right people then it will be. I've said I am happy to suck it up, so I see that as an acceptance of the situation. I suppose we all chose our way in life, and I don't know if I could have done your job or you mine, its just the way we took ourselves as volunteers in life. As already said, arguments over Pensions are pointless, we were all volunteers and took our paths.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

What I said also applies to all contracted out private schemes. Contracting out of serps were to give equal or better benefits outside of serps by way of rebates etc. into the private scheme. You also must remember that it is not just the NI saving you made but also you never had to contribute to serps.
Generally I do believe, for a number of reasons not least fairness and of unsustainability of future costs that pensions (inc. state pensions) need overhauling, the triple lock being one example.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iano
With respect, you're guilty of taking this thread even further off topic !

You might like to take a look in the 'Take it outside !' section for one, where there's an ongoing 'Post EU referendum' thread running, and probably the best place to discuss this complex subject. Think you'll enjoy taking part.

And, given the title of the thread, you don't think people arguing the merits of public and private pension schemes is off topic? This is what happens on these threads. People like to get their opinions in somewhere especially when the original point runs out of steam anyway.

Last edited by Johnboyuk; Jul 10th 2017 at 7:51 am.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Pensions came up in thread simply because having state pension directly affects ones right to free healthcare in Spain. What other types of pension we have do not affect that. We all have what pension we have and chose what we did to earn that pension and make our way in life.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Pensions came up in thread simply because having state pension directly affects ones right to free healthcare in Spain. What other types of pension we have do not affect that. We all have what pension we have and chose what we did to earn that pension and make our way in life.
I understand and agree. I think these side issues make these threads more interesting and usually have some relevence. I am just merely making a point about other people telling posters what they should be posting and not posting. That is why we have moderators.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 8:01 am
EU hoo

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
And, given the title of the thread, you don't think people arguing the merits of public and private pension schemes is off topic?
Of course, guilty as charged !

Sorry, didn't intend to come across as a self-appointed moderator, pensions and the potential effects of Brexit are of course relevant to this thread.

P.S FWIW I fully agree with your EU referendum observations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.