Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can I still Live in Spain Permanently ?

Can I still Live in Spain Permanently ?

Old Jun 26th 2017, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

ChrisBon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I still Live in Spain Permanently ?

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone knows anything about Brits still wishing to come and live in Spain permanently ? Whilst we were in the EU it afforded us many rights and everything, but I presume British people have lived in Spain on long term basis even prior to that ?

I have been planning to move to Spain at some point in the next couple of years, but am currently full time carer for an elderly parent with a terminal illness and there is no way I intend to make the move whilst I still have that responsibility,

I'm very concerned that Brexit is going to ruin my plans. Can anyone comment on how I can deal with this or who knows what options there are / will be ?

Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2017, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I still Live in Spain Permanently ?

I think you will find there is a very large number of people sat waiting for the answer to that. Many who have planned and prepared bought property for future retirement / full time living etc but who knows we are in limbo awaiting the great brexit master plan?
Old Jun 26th 2017, 1:01 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBon
Hi all, I am wondering if anyone knows anything about Brits still wishing to come and live in Spain permanently ? Whilst we were in the EU it afforded us many rights and everything, but I presume British people have lived in Spain on long term basis even prior to that ?

I have been planning to move to Spain at some point in the next couple of years, but am currently full time carer for an elderly parent with a terminal illness and there is no way I intend to make the move whilst I still have that responsibility,

I'm very concerned that Brexit is going to ruin my plans. Can anyone comment on how I can deal with this or who knows what options there are / will be ?

Thanks
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 26th 2017, 1:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

No-one knows the answer to your question, we are all in the dark as to what will happen in the future.

Rosemary
Old Jun 26th 2017, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

ZanBee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chris. I am in the same limbo. I have been planning to move to South Spain for the past few years, but not sure where I stand post brexit. Want to make a move this year ideally, but don't want to risk any investment until I know where I stand. If you, or anyone else, come across any more information that could help, I would be really grateful if you could keep me in the loop.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by ZanBee
Hi Chris. I am in the same limbo. I have been planning to move to South Spain for the past few years, but not sure where I stand post brexit. Want to make a move this year ideally, but don't want to risk any investment until I know where I stand. If you, or anyone else, come across any more information that could help, I would be really grateful if you could keep me in the loop.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 26th 2017, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZanBee
Hi Chris. I am in the same limbo. I have been planning to move to South Spain for the past few years, but not sure where I stand post brexit. Want to make a move this year ideally, but don't want to risk any investment until I know where I stand.
You are in my opinion correct re holding of any property purchase (I won't say investment given state of Spanish property market). Unfortunately we bought pre the crisis and subsequent brexit vote intending to retire around 2012 when I retired. However with the rapid changes that our great government made to female pensions my wife who when we bought had the 30 required years for pension but then had to work 5 more to meet changed criteria. That alone pushed back our plans as we had planned on free health on her 60th birthday. On top of that they also pushed her pension age from 60 to 66 again very short notice. So we had been planning to probably move full time next year pay for health cover for a year then when I get state pension get us both covered free on that, we could manage on my pensions untill my wife gets hers on a frugal lifestyle. Now we see that May is proposing rights for those with 5 years residency including health care? So that looks like because we have had to meet the changed pensions criteria delaying our retirement we could lose out on the health care for retirees as can't now meet the residency criteria. It is a very worrying time and no doubt there are many in same position as myself who tried to plan their retirement within the EU. We just seem to me to be collateral damage in this mess. David Davies did mention on Sunday morning when interviewed that they were hoping to retain the EHIC system? If they could? No mention of continuance of health care for retirees only the proposal of the 5 year residency. So we must wait and see again.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
As mentioned by others, nobody knows yet and a lot can change in the next few years. I don't see too much change in relation to healthcare, as it's still cheaper for the UK to pay for treatment in Spain.

Spain is also not paradise all year round and it's actually nice to leave Spain during the busy/hot summer months. Worst case scenario, you spend a few months here and a few months there. Could be a lot worse.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 3:06 pm
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

we have started to look where else we might go, if it dont work out well for us.
might be moving further afield.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeikeundAlan
we have started to look where else we might go, if it dont work out well for us.
But I doubt it will be easier further afield and why should you worry? From the names I get you are German, so no issues there:-)
Old Jun 26th 2017, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

ChrisBon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, can you let me know where else you are looking that has similar or lower cost of living please Heike & Alan ? I just don't want to live in the UK any more. Its a pit..
Old Jun 26th 2017, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, can you let me know where else you are looking that has similar or lower cost of living please Heike & Alan ? I just don't want to live in the UK any more. Its a pit..
I'll just drop a little link in here for you

Visit Gibraltar - The Official Gibraltar Tourist Board Website
Old Jun 27th 2017, 5:31 am
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
But I doubt it will be easier further afield and why should you worry? From the names I get you are German, so no issues there:-)
German born british passport, we looking outside europe, been checking up on cape verde and further afield. Maybe should ask mama merkel if I can have my birth right back?
Old Jun 27th 2017, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

German born british passport, we looking outside europe, been checking up on cape verde and further afield. Maybe should ask mama merkel if I can have my birth right back?

If your parents were German or they lived in Germany long enough, certainly an option. I don't know why people worry so much about Brexit etc. as it still doesn't mean you can't live in Spain and nothing is clear yet.

As said, further afield you also need visa/income and probably have less social security, more uncertainty.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately it would seem that those in the EU are insisting that any EU citizens in the UK should receive greater benefits and protection (through the EU Court of Justice) than British citizens ordinarily resident here. I suspect that is not going to happen. As an example the UK is currently paying out over £58million ( so it is estimated) to Polish parents for their children most of whom have never set foot in the UK. It would seem that the EU still wants to take advantage of the cash cow they made of the U.K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.