Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can I re-register my English Car

Can I re-register my English Car

Old Jun 4th 2010, 8:47 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I re-register my English Car

Originally Posted by Rotor
At the moment maybe but unfortunatley some jobsworth will pick up on it eventualy.
ITV tests are definatley getting stricter , the testers are making extra work to avoid job cutbacks.
My headlight are clear and ungrooved ... they just needed adjusting
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point

Now i'm really worried.

Marcello says it's okay and can do it no problems.

However, my husband has called another Engligh guy who advertises in the local press as a Metricutator and he says it can't be LEGALLY done for various reasons, the main one being the fact that we are already on the Padron. If we hadn't been then it could have been done as an initial incomers package.

What do we do now Pay Marcello 1,100 euros plus the the headlights cost on the hope that it's not Illegal.

Who do we believe
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polly.walker
Thanks again Mitzyboy,

I have contacted Marcello and he was very helpful.
I have also found someone who can adjust the headlights to comply. The only problem with him is that he is quite a distance away and needs the car for two days. I might try and find someone a little closer to home.

Many thanks
Polly

Someones having a turkishTwo days to adjust head lights , IF its possible should not take more than an hour.

When its supposedly been done then take your car to a ITV station to see if they comply , if they are pickey they may fail you for not having the E marking on them ,dont waste money with a gestor until you get this area sorted , also remember your fog and reverse lights will be on the wrong sides so may also need replacing,check at the ITV station, again they may not be available ,Jap import cars car be a problem here when they have never been manufactured for a lhd european country.

LIKE I SAID BEFORE DONT PAY YOUR GESTOR A BEAN UNTIL THE LIGHTS ISSUE IS RESOLVED AS GESTORS GENERALLY DONT DO REFUNDS! LISTEN TO SOMEONE WHOS WORKED IN THE SPANISH GARAGE TRADE!

Last edited by Rotor; Jun 4th 2010 at 9:55 am.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 2:32 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

In 200+ cars we have never had an "adjusted" headlight pass the ITV with two notable exceptions.

They both had four headlights not two and had changed the bulbs. The problem is that "English" lights light up the kerb with a stray "lifted Light". the cut off is not straight across.

Get the lights sorted first. Yes you can import a foreign right hand drive car even if you have been on the padron for years (our last guy dated back to 2003) - our current guy has been on the padron since 2007

Davexf in Cádiz
Old Jun 4th 2010, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

thesimmokid is an unknown quantity at this point

Previous poster is correct. You can register an imported vehicle any time you like. If it is from the EU then there is no import tax. The tax paid here in Spain is a 'registration tax'. It is based on the age/power/fuel-type of the vehicle. On top of that you will pay the local car tax for the forthcoming year (noting that each town sets its own rate), the cost of the ITV, the cost of the plates plus any gestor fees. By the way, Marcello is excellent. I have used him twice without problems.

In your specific case, you should have paid an import tax when the car came in to the UK from outside the EU. At that time, you might have been given the technical specification document for the car. If you have this - plus any other documents from that initial import into the EU - it will help now.

My final advice is to speak to somebody who does all this day in, day out for a living. Also, do not confuse the padron with the ability to register a non-Spanish vehicle in Spain. It is not unfeasible that Spanish folk get vehicles from, say, Germany, and pay the fees.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 6:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thesimmokid

My final advice is to speak to somebody who does all this day in, day out for a living. .
Which is what I suggested.

The Gestor I mentioned has matriculated Japanese Grey import cars before. He has sorted headlights before
He doesnt ask for money until the job is done
He has been doing this for years
He sets out what is needed before he starts
If you dont have what is needed, he will tell you.

It makes not a bit of difference if you are already on the padron and on the foreigners list, just means you may end up paying the import registration fee