Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can I Get A Pension

Can I Get A Pension

Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

jackandjill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I Get A Pension

Hello. I am married and my husband is self employed. We have lived in Spain for 8 years. In the UK over the years I worked for approx 11 years. I have not worked in Spain as I have been looking after the children. I don't think I will be working in the future as we manage on OH income, also I want to be available to look after future grandchildren while the parents are working. I have children with quite a large age gap. I want to know is there any possibility at all that I would get any sort of pension either from the UK or Spain (I can't imagine I would get anything from Spain as I have not paid into the system here) I know my husband will get a pension as he has always worked in the UK and Spain. I am 48 years of age.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I Get A Pension

Originally Posted by jackandjill
Hello. I am married and my husband is self employed. We have lived in Spain for 8 years. In the UK over the years I worked for approx 11 years. I have not worked in Spain as I have been looking after the children. I don't think I will be working in the future as we manage on OH income, also I want to be available to look after future grandchildren while the parents are working. I have children with quite a large age gap. I want to know is there any possibility at all that I would get any sort of pension either from the UK or Spain (I can't imagine I would get anything from Spain as I have not paid into the system here) I know my husband will get a pension as he has always worked in the UK and Spain. I am 48 years of age.
My sister spent a lot of her life bringing up the kids and only worked "seriously" in later life. She discovered that her pension will be a pittance because of this.

The answer is that you will get a pension due to what you have contributed to the system in the UK, but it wont be much and the way things are going you may have to wait until you are 70 to collect it!

I believe you can buy extra years, last I heard it was about £350 a year
Old Apr 5th 2011, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

BillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by jackandjill
You can get a forecast from the UK. Details here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...st/DG_10014008

You have to apply by post if you live in Spain. They will also tell you if you can buy any years, I'm not sure you'll be able to if you've lived here 8 years. In addition to the years you have worked you might also qualify for HRP (Home Responsibilities Protection) which gives you credit whilst you are looking after children.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Can I Get A Pension

Originally Posted by BillyJo
You can get a forecast from the UK. Details here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...st/DG_10014008

You have to apply by post if you live in Spain. They will also tell you if you can buy any years, I'm not sure you'll be able to if you've lived here 8 years. In addition to the years you have worked you might also qualify for HRP (Home Responsibilities Protection) which gives you credit whilst you are looking after children.
To get HRP you have to have been paying full stamp (NI contribution) when you finished working if you were you can claim a lot say if you have 2 children 3 years apart and do not work again until the youngest is 11 years old. It could add 14 years to your record.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Apr 5th 2011 at 8:31 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

You will qualify for a UK pension if when you worked there, however briefly, you paid NI contributions. The amount will be a pittance. You can pay volontarily to make up years; and that is in fact a good investment. My wife worked for less than two years in the UK, 47 years ago; and receives approx 70 Eurines a month.
'o nonno
Old Apr 8th 2011, 7:55 am
Just Joined

BillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by ononno
You will qualify for a UK pension if when you worked there, however briefly, you paid NI contributions. The amount will be a pittance. You can pay volontarily to make up years; and that is in fact a good investment. My wife worked for less than two years in the UK, 47 years ago; and receives approx 70 Eurines a month.
'o nonno
There were some changes in April 2010 which means you now only need 30 years contributions (including HRP) to qualify for a full pension, whereas before that it was 39 years for a woman and 44 for a man. This is one of the reasons for the increase in the retirement age. So if you have 11 years of contributions, at current rates this is about £37 a week.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillyJo
There were some changes in April 2010 which means you now only need 30 years contributions (including HRP) to qualify for a full pension, whereas before that it was 39 years for a woman and 44 for a man. This is one of the reasons for the increase in the retirement age. So if you have 11 years of contributions, at current rates this is about £37 a week.
She will only get it when she is old enough though.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 5:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
She will only get it when she is old enough though.
And also if the changes relate to you depend on your date of birth