Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can I as a disabled person live in Spain?

Can I as a disabled person live in Spain?

Old May 28th 2012, 11:29 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I as a disabled person live in Spain?

I went to Albania once, it has some lovely forests and coastline. Will she still want you though if there is no visa
Old May 28th 2012, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

newlight1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I knw so many British people who are married to Filipino, Thai etc wifes and they have been married for years very happily together and good for them. Not all are just in it for a visa, only a minority.
Old May 28th 2012, 11:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newlight1
Just want to be with the woman I love, don't want any money from any government, not a penny. Not from the UK government that I worked and paid my taxes to. Due to being disabled I may need a little extra help though but that is just until we are able to get on our feet. Not much to ask for is it.
Just came here to ask for a little friendly advice but what I have got from most people is certainly not that. Just because a disabled person wants to be with the woman he loves and is finding it difficult due to the UKs governments financial requirements, should he just give up? Are there any other minorities that some of you dont like?
Points in bold...You can't have it both ways. Either you want money (i.e. "a little extra help") or you don't. Which is it?
Old May 28th 2012, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Points in bold...You can't have it both ways. Either you want money (i.e. "a little extra help") or you don't. Which is it?
Not wanting any money is different from needing help. Why would you deprive a disabled person from needing help and if that help is to be with their partner why is that a bad thing?

Thats what we have things for like Legal Aid for people who need help who need it for legal matters.

Basically, you object to a disabled person needing help with accommodation in a part of the EU in which he is a citizen of and has paid taxes in for a short time until he is no longer in need help. That's the truth!
Old May 28th 2012, 11:48 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to be with the woman I love, don't want any money from any government, not a penny. Not from the UK government that I worked and paid my taxes to. Due to being disabled I may need a little extra help though but that is just until we are able to get on our feet. Not much to ask for is it.
Just came here to ask for a little friendly advice but what I have got from most people is certainly not that. Just because a disabled person wants to be with the woman he loves and is finding it difficult due to the UKs governments financial requirements, should he just give up? Are there any other minorities that some of you dont like?
I don't think this is a knocking session at you (personally) or you as a disabled person.
It is a question of reality.
Spain is in my experience a long way from the Uk in providing financial or any other forms of support for the disabled. Probably why in a place like Granada with lots of hills and mountains there are very very few disabled visiting.
Although the town centre buses are fully equiped to provide entry/egress for wheel chairs, anyone living in the cheaper outskirts and villages, as I do, will find it difficult in even getting a bus driver to offer any form of assistance.

The shops, offices, banks etc in the city centre mostly have steps in/out with no thought as to providing ramps for wheelchairs or providing a smoother regular surface for those who are ambulatory. Huge Santander has about 8 steps up to the main banking hall. No alternative.

The Spanish are very miserly with their financial support when compared to the (over generous) UK, it is generally left to the family to provide support, very much in the Asian manner. Which is why so many small houses have 2 or even 3 families living there.

So, to sum up, just take it that other considerations apart, moving to Spain may prove good for your health but not for your wallet. You need to live, if you have little or no income then you will starve. Even in rich places like Madrid and Barcelona there are soup kitchens running full pelt.

as I said earlier - it is a question of reality.

Old May 28th 2012, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Domino, yes and thats the information that I needed to know, the reality no matter how unfair it is.

The reality is, I as a disabled person could NOT live in Spain as there would not be the help I would require in Spain as unfair as this maybe that there is just simply not the support needed in Spain for me, like here where there is the supported housing, carer assistance etc.
Old May 28th 2012, 11:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

That is exactly true and the very reason we were looking to go to SPain, not that we want too at all, but its or only option.
I thought it had already been established that you wouldn't have enough income, also there's the problem of your friend getting across the Schengen frontier and finding well-enough paid work to keep you both (in a country with one of the worst unemployment rates in Europe).
The above figures for the financial requirements in Spain are a little less than the official French "poverty threshold" (= minimum monthly income for a couple to SURVIVE). Bear in mind that southern Europeans have their families to care for them in times of financial or physical stress - you would only have your girlfriend, in a foreign land where you apparently don't speak the language....
As suggested, go to Albania on holiday, meet your girlfriend face to face, and THEN decide what to do about the future.
All our advice and/comments are pointless if you discover that you aren't made for each other...
P.S. Just read your last post. Glad to see that you are being realistic, at least as far as Spain is concerned!

Last edited by dmu; May 28th 2012 at 11:59 am.
Old May 28th 2012, 12:01 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I know its different, but not that different. I've always insured my car, I've religiously paid an insurance company every year since I first bought a car - Unfortunately, the minute I stop paying, I'm not covered, no one gives a hoot how much I paid previously and i cant get any money back just cos I didnt claim during those years.

I'm not having a go, but sometimes when you stop paying insurance and you venture out of the territory on your own, you cant always be assured of protection!!! Anyway, I've not read thu all the posts so I dont know what has been said, but you can take the DLA with you I believe.

Stay in the UK and you will be looked after, for that be glad - the UK is a good place to be if you need help!

Jo xxx
Old May 28th 2012, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Not wanting any money is different from needing help.

Basically, you object to a disabled person needing help with accommodation in a part of the EU in which he is a citizen of and has paid taxes in for a short time until he is no longer in need help. That's the truth!
Simple help with accommodation would, in my book, consist of information about how to go about renting/buying, finding somewhere, availability of adapted accommodation if needed, and so on. However, asking if your rent would be covered by UK benefits (or Spanish ones) does of course involve money, for however long a period might be involved.

As others have said, there is no such assistance in Spain. All the disabled people I know of live with family members who also provide the vast majority of the care they need. That's how it is here, and as the country is basically broke there is no prospect of things changing any time soon.

There is little likelihood of Spain being sympathetic to a non-EU citizen moving here and wanting to work, when unemployment amongst the Spanish is 24% overall and 50% of those aged between 16-25.
Old May 28th 2012, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I know its different, but not that different. I've always insured my car, I've religiously paid an insurance company every year since I first bought a car - Unfortunately, the minute I stop paying, I'm not covered, no one gives a hoot how much I paid previously and i cant get any money back just cos I didnt claim during those years.

I'm not having a go, but sometimes when you stop paying insurance and you venture out of the territory on your own, you cant always be assured of protection!!! Anyway, I've not read thu all the posts so I dont know what has been said, but you can take the DLA with you I believe.

Stay in the UK and you will be looked after, for that be glad - the UK is a good place to be if you need help!

Jo xxx
Yes the UK has some of the best support for the disabled in the world, the way we help disabled people with sheltered housing and supported living and DLA is good. Realistically even though we are all part of the EU state I could not live in Spain as there's not the help that a disabled person needs. So unless I had a family member there already who was willing to let me live with them, then theres no way.
Old May 28th 2012, 12:18 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Domino, yes and thats the information that I needed to know, the reality no matter how unfair it is.

The reality is, I as a disabled person could NOT live in Spain as there would not be the help I would require in Spain as unfair as this maybe that there is just simply not the support needed in Spain for me, like here where there is the supported housing, carer assistance etc.
you will see another thread about 34% of expats returning home - some (not all) are returning home due to bereavement and because they have lost their partner who has been their carer.

it can be difficult for those who suddenly find they need help and support that we have been brought up to expect more and more from The State when living in another part of our homeland and want to be near family and loved ones.
it can be nigh on impossible if you are in a foreign country, no matter how high the limbo pole is across the EU's borders (except in the UK), to get any help and support even if you have lived there for decades and paid all taxes on time.

as I have said earlier, the UK provides probably the highest level of support in the world for disabled (and elderly), inciting reporting of non-compliance with the DDA, getting councils and public bodies to become accessible.

No matter how you may feel about a person or the benefits you are on the latter is what keeps you alive - you will not get that anywhere else, whether you have paid in or not.
Old May 28th 2012, 12:33 pm

Yes the UK has some of the best support for the disabled in the world, the way we help disabled people with sheltered housing and supported living and DLA is good. Realistically even though we are all part of the EU state I could not live in Spain as there's not the help that a disabled person needs. So unless I had a family member there already who was willing to let me live with them, then theres no way.
and you won't get the same in any other EU country

Old May 28th 2012, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Simple help with accommodation would, in my book, consist of information about how to go about renting/buying, finding somewhere, availability of adapted accommodation if needed, and so on. However, asking if your rent would be covered by UK benefits (or Spanish ones) does of course involve money, for however long a period might be involved.

As others have said, there is no such assistance in Spain. All the disabled people I know of live with family members who also provide the vast majority of the care they need. That's how it is here, and as the country is basically broke there is no prospect of things changing any time soon.

There is little likelihood of Spain being sympathetic to a non-EU citizen moving here and wanting to work, when unemployment amongst the Spanish is 24% overall and 50% of those aged between 16-25.
considering that Spain (as well as Italy) has had a bumper olive crop the price for olives and oil derivatives has plummeted and money is being spent on that good old EU standby - Intervention...

I have seen one huge field that has been ripped up nearby and awaiting to see what happens to it.
So it would appear that even the olives round here are just as redundant as the workers
Old May 28th 2012, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thats Global Capitalism for ya, boom and bust is always the merry go round.
Old May 28th 2012, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Newlight you say about people on the forum not being sympathetic re your disabilities and that the UK penalise you re your "relationship with this female" you then go on to admit that the UK provides generously for people with disabilities. To me you seem either by accident or intention to confuse the issue. I would imagine that the majority of people would agree that with your disability's you need financial support and housing assistance. However when you are not in a relationship at the time of the disability causing you to need support/stop working why should the UK government/tax payers seek out to fund your love life? that has nothing to do with your disability. You keep mentioning the taxes you paid into the system well I would probably say that would apply to just about all on the forum however you have probably and rightly received more of yours back than many of us. How long did you manage to work how long have you been not working and receiving the disability allowances? I wonder actually what age you are to be so smitten by someone that it would appear you have never met. No my friend I'm afraid your love life is something that you as an individual need to sort out not the Government of any country or their tax payers. Like I said before please do not let your heart rule your head you may well live to regret it. One thing though at least you now accept that Spain is not the answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.