Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can I as a disabled person live in Spain?

Can I as a disabled person live in Spain?

Old May 27th 2012, 5:44 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I as a disabled person live in Spain?

Originally Posted by newlight1
I don't want to leave the UK, but my Partner is not from the EU and the only way her and I can be together as I dont have an income to meet the UK requirments to sponsor my partner is to live in another EU country.

Yes I get NHS care every week. I just want to be with the Woman I love and be happy, even though I am disabled. Not much to ask for in life really.
Yes a problem indeed ?
Ah got it !, go and live in Albania.
Old May 27th 2012, 7:30 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to leave the UK, but my Partner is not from the EU and the only way her and I can be together as I dont have an income to meet the UK requirments to sponsor my partner is to live in another EU country.

Yes I get NHS care every week. I just want to be with the Woman I love and be happy, even though I am disabled. Not much to ask for in life really.
So sorry to hear of your plight. People have right of movement within the EU but not the right to live whereever they want to if they cannot support themselves fully. If you do not meet the requirements to sponsor her to live in the UK I am sure that moving to another EU country would not make any difference. UK people moving to Spain are now required to prove that they have sufficient funds to live on.

Can I ask you what sort of medical help you receive in the UK to enable you to live your life? Here in Spain the family do the caring so if you need physical help it would be down to your partner. There is no benefit system to help people so she would need to work full time to keep you both and the employment situation here is dire for the Spanish people therefore foreigners are finding it even harder to gain work. Are you both fluent in Spanish?

If she has work in Albania then you would probably be better off thinking about moving there as she will know what help is available for you and she speaks the language. I am sorry to bring a sour note into this but think carefully before committing to a person who you have not met and jelled with as there are so many people trying to leave their own country by any means and do not care who they hurt in the process.

Rosemary
Old May 27th 2012, 8:32 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
In Spain, Malta and Cyprus there is no rent allowance, they don't pay your 'council tax' etc.

So to answer your question, no, you really can't live abroad on the income your would receive.

Update:

I just read on another of your posts that your true love is from Albania and you have not yet met the girl and she does not meet the requirements to enter the UK? Not being funny but what will she contribute to the UK should she be allowed through customs? So your question should be "Will the UK government/tax payers fund me and an Albanian enough so we can live in the sunshine"........I'll stop there as your being a bit cheeky expecting us too pay for you AND her.
Old May 27th 2012, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

SpanishAngel will become famous soon enoughSpanishAngel will become famous soon enough

This sort of thing makes me so angry. I flew to the UK a few days ago and the couple sitting next to me were openly bragging that they live in Spain full time but nip back to the UK every so often for cash in hand work that's not declared in the UK or Spain and they go for ongoing NHS hospital treatment AND GET BENEFITS PAID.
Old May 27th 2012, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

So just feel like I shoud be allowed to move to another member state like all others who are citizens of Europe, and just because I am disabled why should I not be able too? .
Presumably because you can't afford to. Lots of able bodied people would also like to move to Spain but it's not an option as they can't afford it, with no savings and no hope of a job. I have great sympathy with the disabled, a very good friend of mine is a lot worse than you, but he knows he can't afford to move to Spain as the benefits are nowhere near as good as he gets in UK. He wants for nothing in UK, knows it would be impossible to live in Spain, so gratefully accepts it and gets on with his life. It's at times like this that we see how good the benefits system is in UK, and although it is often abused, if you're disabled, you are well looked after. That's something to be grateful for, I'd have thought.
Old May 27th 2012, 10:00 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpanishAngel
This sort of thing makes me so angry. I flew to the UK a few days ago and the couple sitting next to me were openly bragging that they live in Spain full time but nip back to the UK every so often for cash in hand work that's not declared in the UK or Spain and they go for ongoing NHS hospital treatment AND GET BENEFITS PAID.
that makes me angry too

the OP was only asking though, if it was possible - if he doesn't ask, he doesn't find out

he isn't the first & for sure won't be the last to think that it's the same in Spain as the UK, as far as benefits are concerned
Old May 27th 2012, 10:18 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

People (disabled and able-bodied) DO have the right to live anywhere they wish in the EU.

But only if they can afford it.

Just to recap, you can (usually) take your ESA and DLA Care component with you from the UK when you move to an EU country.

You can receive State Pension and Second State Pension anywhere in the world and in the EU it has the same rises as in the UK. You cannot, however, export Pension Credit.

Your host country will not usually pay your rent and Council Tax and neither will the UK if you move abroad.

If your partner has a place in Albania, why not live there?
Old May 27th 2012, 10:42 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe more to the point, how wheelchair friendly is Spain?
Old May 27th 2012, 11:01 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Maybe more to the point, how wheelchair friendly is Spain?
my town's pretty good - very few shops & bars/restuarants aren't wheelchair friendly - we could do with more disabled parking spaces though

recently built public buildings have no stairs - ramps between floors

of course, just the fact that a lot of areas have very steep streets/hills could be a bit of a problem
Old May 27th 2012, 11:09 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

The whole of my town is relatively flat but I notice that wheelchair users tend to use the roads due to the difficulty of very narrow pavements.

Rosemary
Old May 27th 2012, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

newlight1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnxa
that makes me angry too

the OP was only asking though, if it was possible - if he doesn't ask, he doesn't find out

he isn't the first & for sure won't be the last to think that it's the same in Spain as the UK, as far as benefits are concerned
I was only asking exactly. There is no harm in that. I have spent time in person with her who happens to be from Albania. My Grandfather fought in world war two for this country so you and I can have the freedom to have a partner and someone to love, and fought against Hitlers treatment of disabled people as well as other minorities. Just think of it as it is, how would you like it if you worked hard for a long time in the most awful demeaning jobs, sometimes for 7 days a week with a disability even, most times in a lot of pain until you can no longer work due to the disability controlling your whole life, then you happen to fall in love with someone who happens to be from another piece of land you are from and you are told by your government that your Grandfather fought for, the government you worked hard for and paid your taxes too that you can not be with the Woman you love and you can not live in another EU Country as you can not work and earn money and her country has none of the medical care that I need so you are in a position where you can not be with the person you love. I don't expect anything from anyone and she also knows this and is prepared to work wherever we lived. Honestly, Im not implying to anyone here but some people hear my difficulty and have zero compassion and just have an attitude like so what.

I have been offered sheltered accommodation here in this country and supported housing in this country. I was just asking to see if there was any possible option, which I can see now there isn't.

Last edited by newlight1; May 27th 2012 at 12:01 pm.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Newlight I don't think you can expect any EU Country to just subsidise you to live where you want with a woman from outside the EU who at best from what you say you barely know disabled or not. As for the history of your grandparents service well personally I served 40 years in uniform for my country and would not expect to be subsidised to live anywhere. I scrimped and saved to buy a little house in Spain to retire to with my wife and pay all my dues to both UK and Spain which is only right. Up to you but what is said in telephone calls e mails and letters surprisingly is not always true, my advice would be stay in the UK and be careful do not let your heart rule your head.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

rosario will become famous soon enough

I was only asking exactly. There is no harm in that. I have spent time in person with her who happens to be from Albania. My Grandfather fought in world war two for this country so you and I can have the freedom to have a partner and someone to love, and fought against Hitlers treatment of disabled people as well as other minorities. Just think of it as it is, how would you like it if you worked hard for a long time in the most awful demeaning jobs, sometimes for 7 days a week with a disability even, most times in a lot of pain until you can no longer work due to the disability controlling your whole life, then you happen to fall in love with someone who happens to be from another piece of land you are from and you are told by your government that your Grandfather fought for, the government you worked hard for and paid your taxes too that you can not be with the Woman you love and you can not live in another EU Country as you can not work and earn money and her country has none of the medical care that I need so you are in a position where you can not be with the person you love. I don't expect anything from anyone and she also knows this and is prepared to work wherever we lived. Honestly, Im not implying to anyone here but some people hear my difficulty and have zero compassion and just have an attitude like so what.

I have been offered sheltered accommodation here in this country and supported housing in this country. I was just asking to see if there was any possible option, which I can see now there isn't.
Newlight. You are benefiting by what your grandfather fought for. The Welfare state was formed because of the sacrifices of the two world wars.
You have health care and income however small and an offer of housing. If you have already met your love how was that possible how was that paid for? Give it time and maybe a solution will be found but most people on an expat site have lived and worked in places where the population really suffer and would find it hard do understand why you feel so hard done by. Look at the news today from Syria for an example!
Old May 27th 2012, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

newlight1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes this is true. All I want is to be with the woman I love. Just trying to find a way to make that happen is all without having to get help from anyone.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

rosario will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Can I as a disabled person live in Spain?

Yes this is true. All I want is to be with the woman I love. Just trying to find a way to make that happen is all without having to get help from anyone.
Ah well true love will find a way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.