Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can I as a disabled person live in Spain?

Can I as a disabled person live in Spain?

Old May 26th 2012, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

newlight1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I as a disabled person live in Spain?

Basically I would like to live in Malta, Spain or Cyprus as a EU and British Citizen, but I am disabled and unable to work and don't have much savings. Is it possible for me to live in Spain under those circumstances?
Old May 26th 2012, 7:15 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I as a disabled person live in Spain?

Originally Posted by newlight1
Basically I would like to live in Malta, Spain or Cyprus as a EU and British Citizen, but I am disabled and unable to work and don't have much savings. Is it possible for me to live in Spain under those circumstances?
some benefits for the disabled are exportable from the UK - http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...fits/benefits/

if you can live on those then I guess you can live in Spain - subject to the new requirements of proof of income & healthcare

interestingly.... the 'healthcare' section of the UKinSpain website is down atm
Old May 26th 2012, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

if you can live on those then I guess you can live in Spain
Basically I get my Employment And Support allowance which is £105 per week and thats all. Do you think that would be enough? How would I afford rent? I dont really have any savings?

- subject to the new requirements of proof of income & healthcare
Would my ESA be proof of Income?
Old May 26th 2012, 7:46 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Basically I get my Employment And Support allowance which is £105 per week and thats all. Do you think that would be enough? How would I afford rent? I dont really have any savings?

I think you've answered your own question really - you couldn't really live on that, could you?

Could you live on it in the UK?
Old May 26th 2012, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

I think you've answered your own question really - you couldn't really live on that, could you?

Could you live on it in the UK?
Not unless I got the rent covered, as a disabled person could I?
Old May 26th 2012, 8:08 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Not unless I got the rent covered, as a disabled person could I?
as far as I know - 99% certain - no, there are no facilities for government help towards rent payments

the benefit system here is very different to the UK - if you don't pay in, you don't get to take anything out - & even dole payments for those who have paid in are time limited

you won't have paid anything in, so you won't be able to take anything out, even if it were available
Old May 26th 2012, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

So basically, I would have no way to pay rent then. So therefore I couldn't move to Spain
Old May 26th 2012, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

What is you disability?
Old May 27th 2012, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

So basically, I would have no way to pay rent then. So therefore I couldn't move to Spain
You will get no help with rent/accommodation in Spain and quite frankly why should you?

Stay in the UK you will be better off
Old May 27th 2012, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

You will get no help with rent/accommodation in Spain and quite frankly why should you?
But as a disabled person under EU Disability rights I am disadvantaged so why not?
Old May 27th 2012, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

What is your disability?
I have a few one is diaphyseal aclasis and Scoliosis, hearing Impared aswell as another couple sadly. I was working for sometime untill a couple of my disabilities made it impossible to work anymore. So just feel like I shoud be allowed to move to another member state like all others who are citizens of Europe, and just because I am disabled why should I not be able too? If I could still work I would still work and move there but because I cant and am disabled why should I not have any help in doing that as I am disadvantaged.

A society is measured by how it treats its weakest members - Churchill

Last edited by newlight1; May 27th 2012 at 1:27 am.
Old May 27th 2012, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

But as a disabled person under EU Disability rights I am disadvantaged so why not?
I'm not sure what EU disability rights are. Spain cannot afford to lok after many of its own people right now. Your conditions are clearly serious and I presume you are receiving care from the NHS. Spain is not so generous to people in your situation, only certain benefits are exportable.
Why do you wish to leave the UK?
Old May 27th 2012, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

I don't want to leave the UK, but my Partner is not from the EU and the only way her and I can be together as I dont have an income to meet the UK requirments to sponsor my partner is to live in another EU country.

Yes I get NHS care every week. I just want to be with the Woman I love and be happy, even though I am disabled. Not much to ask for in life really.

Last edited by newlight1; May 27th 2012 at 1:43 am.
Old May 27th 2012, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

If you don't have the income in the UK how on earth do you expect to have it anywhere else?

The UK has one of the most generous benefit systems in Europe, is that why your lady friend wants to be with you here?
Does she have a job?
Old May 27th 2012, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

In Spain, Malta and Cyprus there is no rent allowance, they don't pay your 'council tax' etc.

So to answer your question, no, you really can't live abroad on the income your would receive.

Update:

I just read on another of your posts that your true love is from Albania and you have not yet met the girl and she does not meet the requirements to enter the UK? Not being funny but what will she contribute to the UK should she be allowed through customs? So your question should be "Will the UK government/tax payers fund me and an Albanian enough so we can live in the sunshine"........I'll stop there as your being a bit cheeky expecting us too pay for you AND her.

Last edited by bob_bob; May 27th 2012 at 5:20 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.