Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can anyone give some advice please?

Can anyone give some advice please?

Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:46 am
Just Joined

carcuscrae is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone give some advice please?

Hi All

Sorry for this message but my partner & I are considering moving to Spain and would like some advice about buying a property.

I know the Spanish market is awash with properties at the moment and there are so many sites out there it is hard to know where to start.

Basically can anyone suggest the best areas to buy in, we don't want to live in a ghost town, so we don't want to consider properties in areas where there are more empty properties than full ones.

Secondly can anyone recommend some good/legit property sites to search that anyone has used to find a property.

Many Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2011, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can anyone give some advice please?

Trawl through previous posts with regards to property in Spain at the moment, best advice would be forget buying blind, move out and rent first for at least the first 12 months as I doubt the property deluge will suddenly disappear and that gives you time to look at what you are buying as often what you think you want is very different from what you actually need or end up with.

A house is often for life in Spain as they do not move particularly quick so take your time and do not believe anything an agent says, always question what is told to you and when you find one you like visit it lots of times at different times of day and talk to neighbours, what is a dry river in summer may be flooding during the winter, quiet during the day may have a noisy bar near at night and consider your age as you will be tying up money in equity and it is a renters market, there are really good properties at low rentals so there is NO HURRY to buy invest and live off the returns for a few years.

Main advice take your time, do your research, do more research and go into it with your eyes open, Spain has lots of issues at the moment so if your banking on working to support you stay in the UK.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Alpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really nice

A general comment that may help you. Over the years I have noticed that there has been more trouble with new property than with old. So My advice would be
  • first find a town you like - only you can do that not people on a forum
  • Then look for property that's mature ie older than would be expected to be involved in some developer/ayuntamiento scam.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:28 pm
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alpujarra
A general comment that may help you. Over the years I have noticed that there has been more trouble with new property than with old. So My advice would be
  • Then look for property that's mature ie older than would be expected to be involved in some developer/ayuntamiento scam.
How old would a property need to be to be in that category?
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:49 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

In which case be sure to stay outside of the known earthquake zones, as the older ones are probably not designed to handle them.
I noticed a few such properties were damaged just last week by minor tremors.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Alpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really nice

Originally Posted by Library Ticket
Impossible to specify I know, but the type of property I mean would be obviously mature, not being sold by a developer, and be part of a community established for say, more than 50 years. ie a typical house in town centre or village or old rural property.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

Impossible to specify I know, but the type of property I mean would be obviously mature, not being sold by a developer, and be part of a community established for say, more than 50 years. ie a typical house in town centre or village or old rural property.
what absolute rubbish,here on the cds there are loads of bargains to be had,just as said find an area you like,rent for a bit then buy a place you like,its easy,all this crap about the spanish housing market doestn't help,and now we have earthquakes
lol,yeh 3.9 or something,1 brit shit paper prints something and you think an eq is coming tomorrow
Old Mar 12th 2011, 8:19 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

[*]Then look for property that's mature ie older than would be expected to be involved in some developer/ayuntamiento scam.[/LIST]
Err ... or maybe get yourself a good independent solicitor just as you would if you were living in the UK and get everything checked out properly. A new property doesnt have to be involved in a developer scam
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:13 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Err ... or maybe get yourself a good independent solicitor just as you would if you were living in the UK and get everything checked out properly. A new property doesnt have to be involved in a developer scam
true - & being on an older urb doesn't make it immune to problems either

I knew some people who did just as suggested - bought a 40+ year old house on an old established urb

planning permission was given to build a new urb further up the hill & the access road went straight through this old urb - these people & some of their neighbours all lost part of their land & had to pay for the priviledge under the LRAU thingy

I know that's not quite the same as discovering that your house is illegal - but it still caused financial hardship & untold stress
Old Mar 12th 2011, 12:04 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Library Ticket
Some older properties come with their own unique legal problems. They do have character and charm which can be appealing but I would suggest modern properties are better built.

Any decent solicitor will help you avoid buying a house with legal issues. All of the people I know who bought property with legal issues were well aware but thought they could somehow get round the spanish system.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

We had no problems whatsoever when buying our house, the whole process took 4/5 weeks.

I think the reasons for that were:-

i) Old house (c1887) in established town, so no boundary disputes or possible land grab problems

ii) Helpful established Estate Agent.

iii) Good local Lawyer recommended by the Estate Agent.

iv) Luck. We did not know ii) and iii) from Adam when we started the process, although I did check out the Lawyer through another source.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

iii) Good local Lawyer recommended by the Estate Agent

that is the worst thing you can ever do

sorry just read point v,fair enough

Last edited by sensationalfrog; Mar 13th 2011 at 12:18 am. Reason: didnt read full post