Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Camino de Santiago?

Camino de Santiago?

Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Carrizos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Camino de Santiago?

Coast of Galicia good choice, any idea which bit? Shame you got so much rain it has not been too bad up here North of Santiago; mostly only half days of rain and fairly warm. The snow just touched us only just though. http://aviewfromvaldovino.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your camino project it sounds a worthwhile idea that could change people's lives.

Talking of which my own campaign is to somehow embarrass Mr Bean Zapatero into noticing that his education system is appalling and a good 30 years behind the UK; at least that is how it is up here. My children have been attending school for over a year they have had an average of 1hour of extra support a week to help them learn castilian and galician, this term there is no support at all. The English teachers can't speak English as well as my friends 2 year old can. The only progress my children have made in English is to learn how to construct sentences badly and with a deep Spanish accent. In the UK the older one was achieving two years ahead of his age now he is well behind where he should be. The are no support teachers available and no money to fund them. Meanwhile a new port that no one wants is being built in Ferrol, new roads are being built to support the nearly empty ones that already exist, industrial estates are being built yet existing ones are half empty and emptying further still.

Before we came out here we read literally hundreds of posts from people saying the educations system out here was great and their children were making good progress etc etc -it actually sounded better than the UK. The system we experience is really awful ICT just isn't there at all, the idea of a school VLE or electronic submission of homework, interactive whiteboards, laptops for children or even teachers is not part of their world although the professors are passionate about their work and would love to get into technology. It will be education and the antiquated medical system that drives us back to the UK unless we can get something done.

ooh didn't realise I was in rant mode ah well.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carrizos
Coast of Galicia good choice, any idea which bit? Shame you got so much rain it has not been too bad up here North of Santiago; mostly only half days of rain and fairly warm.....snip....rant...snip...
I'm hoping to find a suitable place in either Laxe, or Camelle. Totally fell for that stretch of coast when I walked last summer. Breath taking natural beauty and extremely varied from bay to bay.

Still raining here in Santiago. Had a bit of snow a few days ago. A rare occurrence judging by the number of people out and about early morning with their new Christmas digital cameras. My plan is to complete a huge painting of the cathedral and sell to the highest bidder to help get my next project started (a project that I believe will help people a great deal). But, it's a very weather dependent plan. Hence, I need help.

As for education in Spain; most of the middle class Spanish people I speak to (I am often offered work teaching their children English because they know they're not being taught correctly at school) send their own children to International schools, or even German schools where the option exists. Generally, wherever I have been in Spain the education system is not considered to be good. There are exceptions. I know a few English teachers over here who are employed by the British Council to teach English in schools at primary level. Those schools are considered to be good state schools.

I don't have children myself, but if I did their education would be the primary factor in my decision to move abroad (theoretically - plenty of other considerations for a family). As I've been walking caminos I've met many young adults who have come from fairly comfortable backgrounds from countries all over Europe. They were walking camino to try and find work and homes in Spain. Effectively homeless due to a 'messed up' education resulting from a family move to Spain in their mid-teens. Bright, clever and often very likeable people who just don't have the qualifications/family connections/financial lift that it takes to get yourself established in Spain.

I then met a young Belgian who was on camino with a bit of financial assistance from family and an organisation in Belgium. Again, a very bright, clever and likeable person who achieved highest levels in junior sports, but had strayed a little during late teenage life. His attitude and approach to his journey impressed me greatly. That's why I would like it to be available to 'troubled' teenagers in the UK and ex-pat family members here.

Hope you get your own childrens schooling sorted. Summer camps are supposed to be excellent for English and for getting your kids in the 'right' circles IYKWIM.

Thanks for the rant

John.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

How long are you in Santiago? we are planning to be in A Coruna next weekend visiting the science museum but have been thinking of popping over to Santiago some time soon maybe the week after.

My boys are 6 and 8 so hopefully will have time to get to grips with the education by the time it gets critical ...if we stay.

I was part of the team who set up notschool in the UK back in 2001 or so - an online alternative to school for school refusers, the expelled, the lost and forgotten as well as those with long term illness. Some of those who could not be taught have gone on to attain impressive HE qualifications,one getting an award for the highest undergraduate results in their university. There are people out there for whom the standard provision just does not work, there are many lost children who can be found and lead to a bright future - have you trawled the European funding pools In know we are in a crisis but you might be able to get some assistance setting this up.

I was beginning to suspect that all the good reports about hospitals and education were referring to private provision. From what you say it might well be that way.

ciao

Last edited by Carrizos; Jan 17th 2010 at 1:04 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

How long are you in Santiago?...
As long as it takes!

I'm reluctant to return to Granada (where I have lived for the past 3 years, or so) and dig into the few savings I have. Can't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to raise enough cash here in Santiago to move onto my next project. Most of my sponsorship comes from the web anyway.

Probably Two to Three weeks. If I'm not here, I'll only be a short bus ride away anyway. If you fancy meeting up let me know. Be forewarned - I'm a bit of an artist 'scruff shyster' in appearance

The rain ceased this afternoon. Sold a couple of sketches and picked up a commission. A few more days like this and I could be heading to the coast a bit sooner.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

The exterior is of no importance, the world doesn't need decorations it needs sorted by people with generous hearts.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

The exterior is of no importance, the world doesn't need decorations it needs sorted by people with generous hearts.
I take that as a compliment. Thanks. Unfortunately the exterior is of great importance in today's society. I am as guilty as anyone else of judging people by appearances. It's one of the reasons I like the idea of my next web based project - I'll be a bit more visually annonymous than I am working on the streets. Painting on beaches with no Policia Local, or Nacional to bow to. No having to fill in forms and queue just to get permission to sketch in a public place.

To be fair, I have been greatly surprised by the number of donations, and support I have received on the street. Not sure I would trust my Fiver to the unshaven, scruffy man with a Half Litre of San Miguel in one hand and an L&M Rojo in the other
Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:07 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
I take that as a compliment. Thanks. Unfortunately the exterior is of great importance in today's society. I am as guilty as anyone else of judging people by appearances. It's one of the reasons I like the idea of my next web based project - I'll be a bit more visually annonymous than I am working on the streets. Painting on beaches with no Policia Local, or Nacional to bow to. No having to fill in forms and queue just to get permission to sketch in a public place.

To be fair, I have been greatly surprised by the number of donations, and support I have received on the street. Not sure I would trust my Fiver to the unshaven, scruffy man with a Half Litre of San Miguel in one hand and an L&M Rojo in the other
Yeah, I was a bit worried when I met you
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yeah, I was a bit worried when I met you

I probably look far worse ATM! Hole in the knee of my jeans, coat falling apart at the seems (new just 2 months ago). Haven't cut my hair since setting out on my marathon walk in September 2008. Recovering from a stinking cold with bright red nose.

Hardly surprising I get so much hassle from Policia Local and struggle to get permission sorted. Here in Santiago it seems the 'Street Art Activities' officers job is a seasonal one because no-one wants to work here in wet January. I can't get a permit because the office is closed, but police insist I need one First question they asked me when I enquired initially at the council was "do you have money?"

Despite relentless rain (16 days and 16 nights) there is actually money to be made on the streets here in January. All the other street artists are just lazy f***s who expect to much for to little

I would bet all I have (the townhall was right - it's not very much in pocket) that if I looked the part I would have no trouble at all getting a permit. Probably without paying.

Time to get professional again. There is a nice job in this for me. Money is being raised for worthy causes. People like what I do. I need to establish a charity based here in Spain. I don't have a clue. I'm happy to throw €5,000 into the start-up pot myself, but I expect it's going to be far more complicated and expensive than my naive optimism expects!

I have actually picked up a good deal of contacts on my journey and have been offered a bit of support from Spanish companies. I would like British ex-pat families who need it to receive a bit of help from the new charity. I would also like a few Brit run businesses here (in Spain) to help. They will get very favourable publicity in return. Not expecting anything financially until everything is up and running and I've proved it's value. But, I'll keep asking because 'if you don't ask - you don't get'!

Hope you're good and well in the sunny bit of Spain. I seem to remember some idiot here telling me Galicia wasn't wet No change forecast yet Santiago is up there with Dublin as a contender for Europe's wettest city.

Last edited by TheLostPhotographer; Jan 22nd 2010 at 12:12 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Cheer up mate, weather is crap here too, been about 5 days out the last month where it hasn`t rained.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

its been peeing it down today but we are about an hour north of Santiago and have had pretty good weather this week. It was suposed to rain yesterday but we had dry weather and a fair bit of sunshine. I have a colleague very close to Dublin, we mention weather in our good morning thread every day - I reckon Dublin maybe gets more rainy days but Galicia might get more volume. Dublin does not get 16C in January very often though :-) My boys were splashing about in rock pools and the sea last weekend - even back in Cornwall that would have been a wetsuit/blue/shivering job in January. Looks like I am working again this weekend and next. We will get to Santiago eventually..we would have visited with the striking teachers yesterday but I had to work unfortunately.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

its been peeing it down today but we are about an hour north of Santiago...
I'm actually heading your way if all goes to plan. Looking for a place to rent for a year (at least) somewhere close to Laxe/Camelle. Totally fell for the place last summer.

The striking teachers (and their Thousands of pupils) had a good day and helped me out a fair bit also.

Weather is looking AOK for tomorrow and Monday. My first sunshine for weeks Despite the rain, I am actually on target to hit the coast and start house hunting next week.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:26 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this guy can give you some ideas!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...-without-money
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Maybe this guy can give you some ideas!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...-without-money
Hi,

3rd sunny day in a row today!

Interesting story. Living with no, or very little cash can actually be a very liberating experience.

I've put my own 'cashless living' plan on hold (or, possibly even forgotten it). Seems to be a very overdone story during recession.

I'm just trying to find someone to pay my rent for a year
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

anthony32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Camino de Santiago?

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
I'm hoping to find a suitable place in either Laxe, or Camelle. Totally fell for that stretch of coast when I walked last summer. Breath taking natural beauty and extremely varied from bay to bay.

Still raining here in Santiago. Had a bit of snow a few days ago. A rare occurrence judging by the number of people out and about early morning with their new Christmas digital cameras. My plan is to complete a huge painting of the cathedral and sell to the highest bidder to help get my next project started (a project that I believe will help people a great deal). But, it's a very weather dependent plan. Hence, I need help.

As for education in Spain; most of the middle class Spanish people I speak to (I am often offered work teaching their children English because they know they're not being taught correctly at school) send their own children to International schools, or even German schools where the option exists. Generally, wherever I have been in Spain the education system is not considered to be good. There are exceptions. I know a few English teachers over here who are employed by the British Council to teach English in schools at primary level. Those schools are considered to be good state schools.

I don't have children myself, but if I did their education would be the primary factor in my decision to move abroad (theoretically - plenty of other considerations for a family). As I've been walking caminos I've met many young adults who have come from fairly comfortable backgrounds from countries all over Europe. They were walking camino to try and find work and homes in Spain. Effectively homeless due to a 'messed up' education resulting from a family move to Spain in their mid-teens. Bright, clever and often very likeable people who just don't have the qualifications/family connections/financial lift that it takes to get yourself established in Spain.

I then met a young Belgian who was on camino with a bit of financial assistance from family and an organisation in Belgium. Again, a very bright, clever and likeable person who achieved highest levels in junior sports, but had strayed a little during late teenage life. His attitude and approach to his journey impressed me greatly. That's why I would like it to be available to 'troubled' teenagers in the UK and ex-pat family members here.

Hope you get your own childrens schooling sorted. Summer camps are supposed to be excellent for English and for getting your kids in the 'right' circles IYKWIM.

Thanks for the rant

John.
Hi If you need any Assistance With Laxe please PM Me as my Family are from there, I can give great advice and people to talk too...

My Parents live (Dad Is English Mum is Spanish) Live in Laxe there 5 mins from Soesto and Traba...

So if anyone want advice in these areas please feel free to contact me!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anthony32
Hi If you need any Assistance With Laxe please PM Me as my Family are from there, I can give great advice and people to talk too...

My Parents live (Dad Is English Mum is Spanish) Live in Laxe there 5 mins from Soesto and Traba...

So if anyone want advice in these areas please feel free to contact me!
Good to know. Thanks.

I'm looking for a cheap (I don't mind how basic, or rough and ready) place to rent within walking distance of either Laxe, or Camelle. At least 2 bedrooms, preferably 3. One room to use as studio. Probably taking a day to ask around on Monday. Any local knowledge would be a great help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.