Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Camino de Santiago?

Camino de Santiago?

Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:40 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camino de Santiago?

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
One really tough day over a mountain pass in blizzards.

Still planning my next trip. Most likley going to be Alicante to Santiago via Toledo and Salamanca.
Cebreiro?

Toledo is a wonderful city

It's nice to hear that you've enjoyed it so much, thank you for keeping us updated, I've been looking forward to reading your posts and your thoughts about your pilgrimage...
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:45 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Well done…..

Well the wind and rain has been all over Spain, well almost so you have not missed anything.
For those of you who do not know what SdC looks like here is the web cam pointing at the front of the cathedral.
http://www.crtvg.es/camweb/index.asp?id=9&mn=COR
you can see more by opening up the list of the left of the live feed. A Coruña is where Santiago is situated. There is even a webcam in the Cathedral.
Also there is a webcam at the highest point of the Camino in Galicia.
Here http://www.crtvg.es/camweb/index.asp?id=17&mn=LUG
But at the time of writing it is not working because of the snow the village is without power.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Cebreiro?
No. I was pretty lucky with Cebreiro. Walked from Rutalan (sp?) via a motorway bridge I wanted to photograph, over the pass through dense fog and drizzle with occassional blasts of windy rain, but no snow. That was a 45KM day. I got the blizzards between Astorga and Ponferrada. Very tough. Another long hiking day, but once over the summit it was mostly downhill. The 3KM over the summit was very much "don't stop now, or you're gonna die" sort of blizzards. Head on wind, head down and nose to the grindstone with an occassional glance up to make sure I was still walking within the marker poles. Couldn't see anything for much of the time, but; **** yeah! I did it. Imagine my dissapointment on reaching the albergue in Ponferrada only to discover I had been beaten to the best beds by an English woman and a Korean family of 7 that included a young girl no older than 5! I'm not saying anyone cheated, but...

Well the wind and rain has been all over Spain...
Beautiful, sunshiney day today, and I have to admit that Santiago looks to have the edge on Granada for what I want out of a city. Making good contacts and picking up good work already. I'm extending my plan of stay here and already nosing in estate agent windows. I like it very much indeed. Good cheap bars, tolerant and progressive culture, plenty of money to tap in to...

Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update to let anyone interested know...

Currently in Barcelona trying to make enough money to buy new boots and take a bit of cash in pocket for route 2 from Alicante, but it's proving to be very difficult.

I'm pretty much expecting anything that can go wrong to do so now! Illness, bag (with ID and lots of other stuff) stolen. Can't get permission to work the streets.

But, hey! It's sunny and I'm in a beautiful city. I've already missed Two start dates from Alicante. Think I'm realistically looking at beginning in Two weeks time unless I get really lucky before then. Very little cash about for art ATM it seems.

A big gay carnival in Sitges this weekend. I'm planning to try my hand at sand sculpture to raise some money. I'm thinking naked volleyball - lesbians V gays. That wouldn't be wrong would it?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

JI'm planning to try my hand at sand sculpture to raise some money. I'm thinking naked volleyball - lesbians V gays. That wouldn't be wrong would it?
Seems like a good idea to me ..... I told you sand sculpture would work
Sorry to hear about your troubles ... maybe the lift wasnt such a good idea
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

We have just walked The Via de La Plata, 44 days wonderful days, beginning Dec 10th. Fabulous journey, Sevilla to Santiago. We camped for the majority of nights and walked at our leisure during the day. Can't wait to begin the next one!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:08 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avocados
We have just walked The Via de La Plata, 44 days wonderful days, beginning Dec 10th. Fabulous journey, Sevilla to Santiago. We camped for the majority of nights and walked at our leisure during the day. Can't wait to begin the next one!
Would love to hear your stories...do you have a blog?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by avocados
Beautiful isn't it!

When I returned to Granada I bored all my mates stupid telling them they just had to do it. One of the best moves I've ever made in life - a fantastic experience.

Clocking up work in Barcelona currently to start from here next week. Finally have new boots and replaced all that was stolen. Just need a bit of cash in pocket to see me safely on my way to Santiago once again. Big change in plan and route, but I really can't wait to start walking again.

Everyone should do it!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

We don't have a blog, but when we get home, maybe we will create something for the benefit of others that wish to camp, rather than use albergues. We would also like to highlight the benefits of walking in winter, etc.

At the moment, we are in Fuerteventura, having arrived via England, Ireland, England, Lanzarote. Home hasn't arrived yet as my mate is waiting on a job offer, which decides where we will live for the near future.

So, holidays continue, for now.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Update.

I'm currently making my way along the 'main' camino - Camino Frances. In a very interesting small town named Estella. This will be my last walk to Santiago before taking a 12 month break from hiking (an opportunity arose) to try living without any cash whatsoever for a full year.

Looking for sponsors to pay for a GPRS connection for a year so that I can blog from a secret mountain wilderness.

Don't think I'm breaking any forum rules with this:

I'm looking for a sponsor for my next (photographically documented and blogged) project. Once I've finished this Camino to Santiago I'm going to remain static for 12 months living in the mountains, in a teepee, or wattle and duab hut surviving self-sufficiently - 100% without cash.

I'll be growing stuff, gathering stuff, fishing, preserving, dealing with my own waste etc. But, there's a slight concession to 21st Century technologies: I'll be maintaining a blog and website from which I'm allowed to exchange absolutely anything I can make for anything I may need/want. Ceramic art, sketches, paintings, food stuffs - chutneys and other preserves will be offered in exchange for a fishing rod for example.

Hoping to sort out all legalities and permissions by June. I'll have missed the planting season, but I plans, skills and a world of knowledge at my fingertips (Hopefully).

I obviously can't pay Telefonica, or Movistar with sketches. I need a laptop and digital camera on loan for 12 months. Anything that functions reliably. And, service costs covered for 12 months. On top of that, if the site generates exceptional buisiness for the sponsor it would be nice to see a bit of cash go to charity if I manage to survive the full year.

I suspect during times of economic crisis the project will get a lot of interest. My current blog has plenty of regular readers. This one will be far more interesting and feature much more photography. Shooting film whilst continually on the move proved unviable time and pocket wise.

Fully appreciate what I'm letting myself in for. Well researched and fairly confident even if it's going to be very tough and cold at times. Not sure I'm capable of nobbling a trout if it looked me in the eye never mind wringing a chickens neck, but necessity may well dictate.

It's all for a good cause (and my own fun). I will be starting with just the rucksack I currently carry and a First Aid kit. Everything else will come from scratch. A small solar panel to power batteries is obviously a priority.

Anyone interested? Leave a post here, or contact me via my website/blog.

http://www.thelostphotographer.co.uk

http://www.thelostphotographer.blogspot.com

I should possibly add that I'm more than happy to give up editorial control if past outburst and hissy fits scare anyone away.

Posting this on various forums. In the meantime I'm making my way to Santiago via Logroño, Burgos, Leon and Ourense.

The sun is very hot in Navarra during March. The rivers are not. No matter how tempted, or if you're as stupid as me - don't. It hurts! I think that was 26 degrees to a tad above 0 in 0.0001 seconds

Still taking pledges on my blog.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Update for anyone interested.

I'm currently in Burgos. It's an incredibly beautiful city full of very friendly people. Should be high on anyones list of places to visit. I have a free bed and a free daily meal! So, I shouldn't have any problem saving enough cash to get me to Leon - a long, bleak walk so I'm told.

Self-sufficient project is on hold. After reaching Santiago this time I will head to San Sebastian and try to sand sculpture my way to Santiago once more along the north coast.

Building a carousel is becomming a bit more than just an idea in my head. That may well be my next project.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 10:45 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently in Burgos. It's an incredibly beautiful city full of very friendly people. Should be high on anyones list of places to visit. I have a free bed and a free daily meal! So, I shouldn't have any problem saving enough cash to get me to Leon - a long, bleak walk so I'm told.

Self-sufficient project is on hold. After reaching Santiago this time I will head to San Sebastian and try to sand sculpture my way to Santiago once more along the north coast.

Building a carousel is becomming a bit more than just an idea in my head. That may well be my next project.
Burgos is indeed a wonderful city, we have fond memories of our stay there and their friendly people.

I must say, I was wondering how you were going to recharge the lap top batteries if you went off to the teepee for a year.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 5:22 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm.... making me jealous again?!!

(I'll be there at the beginning of May, do you think you'll be in Leon then? I'd love to meet you)
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anabella
Hmmmm.... making me jealous again?!!

(I'll be there at the beginning of May, do you think you'll be in Leon then? I'd love to meet you)
Possibly. My only time plan is to meet up with friends very close to Leon in the first week of May for a bit of a break. I already have knowledge and contacts in Leon. Rough plan is to spend a week, or Two there sketching in front of the cathedral from late April. Very likely that I will be in Leon for a couple of weeks. I really like it there. I also owe a big thank you and a meal to someone.

I lost my Leon umbrella somewhere in Sitges. I refused an offer of €200 for that at one point. Oh well, for as long as Leon is there I can always sketch a new one.

PM me, and I'll give you my mobile number. If I'm not in Leon, I'll be just a short bus ride/hike away.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 2:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just so you recognise him if ever you pass a man walking on the road, this is him when I met in Alicante earlier in the year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.