Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Calling all car buying experts

Calling all car buying experts

Old May 28th 2011, 9:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all car buying experts

Originally Posted by Saxy
I did say get more than one opinion. the reason being, that you then get a concensus of opinions and can make a decision on the most recommended.

John.
you'd need to go to more than one bar then

what tends to happen, around here anyway, is that there are cliques in the brit bars who will recommend each other

if you walk into another brit bar you'll find another clique who will recommend someone else & bad mouth the one you were just recommended!

I tend to avoid exclusively brit bars - can't stand the cliqueyness (sp??)
Old May 28th 2011, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you'd need to go to more than one bar then

what tends to happen, around here anyway, is that there are cliques in the brit bars who will recommend each other

if you walk into another brit bar you'll find another clique who will recommend someone else & bad mouth the one you were just recommended!

I tend to avoid exclusively brit bars - can't stand the cliqueyness (sp??)
It would make sense to base your selection based on those who had actually bought cars from and were recommending a business. That's how I wound up for the last 4 years with a reliable car, i.e. being an ex-hire car it had been well maintained.
As for British bars, when you are new to Spain, these are the people who know the ropes and unless you have access to a forum like this, you need them. You are right they can be cliquey but you have to start somewhere.
Apart from my bowls club, my time is mostly spent playing tenor sax with Spanish bands, in Spanish bars. Had I not got information & introductions from british musicians in a british bar, it might have taken some time to integrate.

John

Last edited by Saxy; May 28th 2011 at 10:58 am.
Old May 29th 2011, 10:45 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

As for British bars, when you are new to Spain, these are the people who know the ropes and unless you have access to a forum like this, you need them. You are right they can be cliquey but you have to start somewhere.
John
I take your point, but my limited experience of bar talk tends to be that they think they know everything, and when a suggestion is made that they might be wrong (cars and residencia being the main ones) they get incredibly arsey.

Like the lady who told me that they dont need to take out residencia or padron in Spain (even though they have lived here permanently for 5 years) because they still own a house in the UK.
Old May 29th 2011, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Like the lady who told me that they dont need to take out residencia or padron in Spain (even though they have lived here permanently for 5 years) because they still own a house in the UK.[/QUOTE]

Yes we all know and avoid the type, but there are also good'uns there as well.
They helped us settle in very quickly.
I would still recomend this particular car hire firm without hesitation, and will buy my next car from them

John.
Old May 29th 2011, 11:24 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I would still recomend this particular car hire firm without hesitation, and will buy my next car from them

John.
I think Mitzy's point (correct me if I'm wrong) - & certainly my point, is that when you first come here (both to the forum & to Spain) you don't know who to listen to - so you go with the opinion that is the most convincing/comes from the person who has been here the longest/is nearest to what you want to hear..........

as you said - get more than one opinion

Last edited by lynnxa; May 29th 2011 at 11:53 am.
Old May 29th 2011, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

John.
[/QUOTE]I think Mitzy's point (correct me if I'm wrong) - & certainly my point, is that when you first come here (both to the forum & to Spain) you don't know who to listen to - so you go with the opinion that is the most convincing/comes from the person who has been here the longest/is nearest to what you want to hear..........

as you said - get more than one opinion[/QUOTE]
It can be easy to rush into things when you are new.You think you are doing the right thing but it can end up being the worst decision you have made.

And it dosent just apply to cars.

Just dont rush into something.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 29th 2011 at 12:19 pm.
Old May 29th 2011, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Oops! The quote went funny.
Old May 29th 2011, 11:53 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Oops! The quote went funny.
I've sorted mine out - if you're quick, you can edit yours!!