Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The caliphate of Andalus.

The caliphate of Andalus.

Old Jul 7th 2014, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The caliphate of Andalus.

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
At my age, "impossible"!! No, seriously, my son, who lives here also & is 34 speaks it fluently, but then he has youth on his side, & works for a Basque company.
I can get by, having been to evening classes, but the problem with it is that there's no reference to other languages, where sometimes you can half guess.
For instance, the word "eskuma" means 'right' (direction). In Spanish it's 'derecha', French = 'droit' & German 'rechts'. So with the Basque 'eskuma' you haven't a clue because you're clueless!! Wait till you get to the verbs.
They have what's known as the 'ergative' case, which means that if the verb is transitive (e.g. to buy) the "I" as in I bought an apple" takes a 'k', so it becomes 'nik sagarra bat erosi dut'. And if you said 'I bought 6 apples' boy, do you need to stop & think!! You now have apples in the plural & accusative case, so the participle of the verb is also plural!! 'Nik sei sagarra erosi dituzte'.
Are you still there or asleep??!!!!

And I'm supposed to be retired, having an easy life!!!!
Sorry to put you through that, but many thanks.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
Would you not agree Matt that at least Christianity has moved forwards as regards to the interpretation of its teaching?

Modern Christianity no longer calls for or demands some of the barbaric whereas modern Islam calls for even harsher interpretations than previously imagined.
Wotylwa and Ratzinger agreed that the ideal scenario for the Catholic church would be a return to the 16th century (Inquisition?). The problem is they just can´t get away with it, they even have to accept Sodomy as normal practice today.
The Muslims are locked in a lingual time warp which will last for eons at the present rate. The punishments are listed in the Koran which also allows that the punishment fit the crime.
As for Atheistic morals it´s common sense, something sadly missing in most religions.
M
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:00 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this thread had come to the end of its life, until I read the adjacent, extremely sad account of people’s actual experiences during the 7/7 suicide bombings in London nine years ago. I have many colleagues who were and are involved in the war against terror which is how I regard what happened when young and misguided Islamist, British born suicide bombers blew themselves up and killed many innocent Londoners in an attempt to establish an Islamist state, a Caliphate.

These misguided extremists have their Caliphate now in Iraq and Syria and many British born Jihadists have gone there to continue their fight.

We are again sitting on our hands waiting for them to come home before trying to find and arrest them. This is not the right strategy, these young people have all committed criminal acts of incitement and conspiracy to murder and we should go after them now, arrest them in their new Caliphate and bring them home to face trial.

We have the forces to easily get a hold of these young fools before things start to escalate again and their blowing of innocent British people at home again.

We now have a country to declare war against, within the rules, and internment of a few thousand unlawful combatants will make our country much safer.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Biology and experience?

I mean, why would your answer be "a supreme being"? What evidence is there for that? So far, your arguments are based on the negative - "I can't explain this adquately so it must be a supreme being."
There's no 'scientific proof' that we're born with abstract things like instinct, love, a soul even. But I'm more than happy to believe that they form part of our imprint & make up by a creator (the Christian God in my terms).
Nobody teaches a calf to suckle but it knows "instinctively" where the milk is. Experience doesn't because the cow can't reach those parts!!
Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:28 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Biology and experience?

I mean, why would your answer be "a supreme being"? What evidence is there for that? So far, your arguments are based on the negative - "I can't explain this adquately so it must be a supreme being."
Yes -that was the point of the last part of my question - "Why"?
Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

There's no 'scientific proof' that we're born with abstract things like instinct, love, a soul even. But I'm more than happy to believe that they form part of our imprint & make up by a creator (the Christian God in my terms).
Nobody teaches a calf to suckle but it knows "instinctively" where the milk is. Experience doesn't because the cow can't reach those parts!!
So what?
Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

pedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt very much if it would make any difference if there was any proof, even conclusive proof.

Yet we are on the way to identifying the DNA that instills instinctive behaviour, instinct, in the human genome. When it is identified and shown to map our primal behaviour will you then say that you got that bit wrong? Of course not, there are way too many others things waiting for that admission.

You also conveniently side step the point that if love is imprinted in us, so is the ability to hate. You know, that every action has an equal and opposite reaction thing. Was this imprinted by God as well? Part of our ability to choose between loving God or burning in hell for eternity? Some choice eh?

There are reams of text on instinct and behaviour that we do not have the capacity to go into here and it would be pointless anyway. None of it points to an imprint by God, more an evolutionary trait whereby those that behaved this way succeeded where others did not. If it were an imprint by God, would there be bad mothers and fathers? Would children be abused, would there be paedophiles? If mental imbalance, pure evil mindedness or social conditions can create these things, it cannot possibly be an imprint from God!

As for a soul, what exactly is that? On second thoughts, it's ok, I know what the answer is, the trouble is, it isn't an answer.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that Islam is still on the learning curve for them this is the 15th century and they still have a long way to go to match the Christians.. The Christian Church in the 15th century was busy burning people at the stake, hunting witches, heretics, perfecting torture and consolidating it's power base and dogma for the atrocities it was yet to commit....
M
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
The Christian Church in the 15th century was busy burning people at the stake, hunting witches, heretics, perfecting torture and consolidating it's power base and dogma for the atrocities it was yet to commit....
M
It's not far off that in the south of the US today.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's not far off that in the south of the US today.
LOL Kind of a sweeping statement there Sally

How far is not Far?
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mfh
LOL Kind of a sweeping statement there Sally

How far is not Far?
Not far
Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:20 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

As a firm believer in Live and Let Live, I’m always encouraged by what others may assume to be daft posts. That Sally person’s video is a perfect example.

It’s irrelevant to the topic under discussion, but there could be many reasons for that. I don’t want to insult anyone, but certain medical conditions preclude the sufferers from being able to partake in proper discussions through no fault of their own.

Live and let Live, that’s my take on life.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

pedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond repute

The word 'Soul', in a far more fitting context!
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
As a firm believer in Live and Let Live, I’m always encouraged by what others may assume to be daft posts. That Sally person’s video is a perfect example.

It’s irrelevant to the topic under discussion, but there could be many reasons for that. I don’t want to insult anyone, but certain medical conditions preclude the sufferers from being able to partake in proper discussions through no fault of their own.

Live and let Live, that’s my take on life.
My thoughts as well. There are many on here who want to have a meaningful debate, whether I personally agree with them or not.

Others seem to want to make some sort of point via an abstruse comment, image or video that they think puts them on a higher intellectual plane.
These same people take every opportunity to espouse anti Christian or anti western views on any topic they can twist.

As you say, maybe they have issues.

By the way. Having travelled the Southern States fairly extensively, I take great exception to the sweeping statement made in an earlier post.
Another example of twisted views I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.