Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Caja Murcia bank

Caja Murcia bank

Old Nov 18th 2008, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all
Default Caja Murcia bank

Has anyone got an a/c with this bank? It has many branches over Alicante. It also has home & health insurances. I wonder if they're good. Doesn't look like they have maintenance fee & pension can be paid directly to the a/c without fee.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all
Default Re: Caja Murcia bank

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Has anyone got an a/c with this bank? It has many branches over Alicante. It also has home & health insurances. I wonder if they're good. Doesn't look like they have maintenance fee & pension can be paid directly to the a/c without fee.
HI I have been with Caja Murcia for about 3 years, with one private account and on biz account,

I find their charges like everone elses, but have noticed that if Igo in and challenge them on a regular basis they reduce them, seems like alot of control is wielded by the local manager, which is really helpful,

I hve set up some loans for customers through them and it has been painless and quick,

Most branches I have used seem to have an english speaker available, but this is not always the case when you get more Rural particularly in North Murcia,

I find their online banking excellent with a site in English also,, you also get a direct line telephone number to your branch which I think is unusual but has turned out to be a great advantage,

I have other accounts with Bancopopular, which I hate with a passion I used to reserve solely for Telefonica, and with La Caixa who are pretty good , but always seem to have endless queques that dont move very fast.

All in I find them pretty good, and would say a cut over the others I have used.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 9:15 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take care taking out insurances with a bank.

I did it when I first came here for ease, but beginning to see the error of my ways. They can be quite expensive.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I would be very wary of any bank that starts with 'Caja'. We have been with Banco Popular for several years with excellent service and virtually no charges. I also have several investment accounts of various types with them all of which have performed well and, at the moment, are continuing to do so.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Thank you all for your replies.

Has Banco Popular got a branch in Alicante & what's wrong with caja?

I don't know how much they charge for insurance as it's not mention in their site
& I guess it will be more expensive than sanitas for healh insurance.

Has anyone got a good recommendation for house insurance?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

You can find out all you want to know about Banco Popular, including a list of branches, here:

http://www.bancopopular.es/eng/

There are at least ten branches in Alicante.

Last edited by Beachcomber; Nov 18th 2008 at 10:39 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
You can find out all you want to know about Banco Popular, including a list of branches, here:

http://www.bancopopular.es/eng/

There are at least ten branches in Alicante.
Thanks for the link. They have so many branches in Alicante but not in Almoradi. I suppose the nearest one to Almoradi is Elche.

You said "virtually no charges" in your previous post but I can't see any fee/charges being mentioned in their site. Do you mind posting their maintenance fee?

Also for their club senior a/c, they don't mention the age as long as the pension is paid to the a/c. This is what it says:
"Just have your pension deposited directly into your account, and you will become part of our exclusive club, which offers a wide range of financial benefits and complementary services".

I haven't reached pension age but I got a private pension. Do you know if I can open the club senior a/c if I've my pension paid to it?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

I had my private pension paid into Banco Popular before reaching 60 and continue to do so,as a result I do not incur any charges or fees for running the account but do get charged 36 euros per year for their club senor visa card. I believe most of the major banks are much the same so convenience for visiting the branch plays a big part in choice.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I am charged for my Visa card and Mastercard but these charges are beyond the control of the bank.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gardner8
I had my private pension paid into Banco Popular before reaching 60 and continue to do so,as a result I do not incur any charges or fees for running the account but do get charged 36 euros per year for their club senor visa card. I believe most of the major banks are much the same so convenience for visiting the branch plays a big part in choice.
Thanks for your reply. I suppose this is not bad compared to SOL bank. How do you withdraw your pension from the ATM machine? Do they provide a card & is this card free or is it like the visa card where you get charged 36 euros?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Diddy Di will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'd take care taking out insurances with a bank.

I did it when I first came here for ease, but beginning to see the error of my ways. They can be quite expensive.

Ah the font of all knowledge, whos the best for insurances on swimming pools.
If anything should go wrong with them i mean?
Our builder vanished & the artitect has refused to give us a final debra so need to get some kind of cover.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:10 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddy Di
Ah the font of all knowledge, whos the best for insurances on swimming pools.
If anything should go wrong with them i mean?
Our builder vanished & the artitect has refused to give us a final debra so need to get some kind of cover.
Surely it is the responsibility of the architect to get it finalized if he was overseeing the job for you.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:19 am
Just Joined

pmitchell is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived and worked in spain for over 25 years and Cajas are great, dont be put off by any other comments on the subject. They are not on the stock exchange and are mutuals, much like the good old British (soon to be extinct?) Building Society. Like all business dealings if you dont ask - you dont get, thefore negotiate on the charges and you will get a good deal. I have found them to be very competetive on charges although as I run a national company I stopped using Caja Murcia from a business point of view as they didnt have enough branches outside of the Valencia/Murcia regions. Try La Caixa, not only are the Spains larges bank, they are also a Caja (caixa being Catalan for Caja), they have an excellent branch network and a great internet banking system in English.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pmitchell
Like all business dealings if you dont ask - you dont get, thefore negotiate on the charges and you will get a good deal. I have found them to be very competetive on charges although as I run a national company I stopped using Caja Murcia from a business point of view as they didnt have enough branches outside of the Valencia/Murcia regions. Try La Caixa, not only are the Spains larges bank, they are also a Caja (caixa being Catalan for Caja), they have an excellent branch network and a great internet banking system in English.
I didn't know you can negotiate on the charges as I thought they are fixed like any bank. Are the charges for La Caixa good or reasonable & is the site in English for online banking or does the staff speak English? Do they have branches near/in Almoradhi?
Old Nov 28th 2008, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

I didn't know you can negotiate on the charges as I thought they are fixed like any bank. Are the charges for La Caixa good or reasonable & is the site in English for online banking or does the staff speak English? Do they have branches near/in Almoradhi?
You would be surprised at the level of autonomy that even the Cashier has here in matters like charges etc, Just "ask and ye shall receive". seems to work pretty well at all levels.