Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cafe Opening Times

Cafe Opening Times

Old May 22nd 2011, 8:35 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cafe Opening Times

I'm going to lower my defences to reply to this interesting thread properly, it deserves it.

I bought a discothèque as a business venture, with my eyes wide open. It had a high turnover, but had a history of trouble, of the worst kind, with a high possibility that it would lose its licence - which is why it was going cheap.

I changed the staff, decorated the place to make it more attractive to the kind of customers I wanted, or imagined I wanted, and stood outside on the opening night with my bouncers and spies to vet the incoming hordes.

My spies pointed out the troublemakers and I banned them, I remember banning the first 32 customers that arrived because they were all junkies. None of them went quietly, but I had a high builder's skip outside and put the idiots into it, they were too befuddled to climb out.

The police arrested me at 2am, allegedly for my own safety, or something to do with the builder's skip.

That calmed me down and I was forced to get rid of the people skip. My takings went down to zero and I realised my business plan wasn't going to work, or I wasn't going to live long enough to see it through.

It was time for plan B. I got a licence to open for longer than any of the other discos around and let it be known that junkies would be welcome again, the whole town was full of them. I even provided a 'cool' room for them at the back in case they overdosed.

Finally, I employed ten of the sexiest barmaids around and encouraged them to dress appropriately.

My takings went through the roof, but I had trouble sleeping at night (during the day), even with a shotgun under my bed. I spent my time watering down the spirits (as an act of kindness) and counting money and got thoroughly miserable.

I came to Spain to escape and opened a disco in Estepona . . .
Old May 22nd 2011, 8:35 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Good link - I noticed on that page there's a link to the Jamaica Coffee Shop franchise, which is the one I was thinking of in Madrid. There was an outlet on Sol if I remember correctly. It seems they intend to open 100 outlets in China over the next 4 years!

http://www.infofranquicias.com/fd-16...ffee-Shop.aspx
There are two in a shopping complex in a nearby town and never seem to have more than a couple of customers.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2011, 8:40 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
There are two in a shopping complex in a nearby town and never seem to have more than a couple of customers.

Rosemary
I can believe that. As I mentioned earlier, I feel these type of places work better in the bigger cities, and I don't think they can normally have much success in towns. Although the likes of Starbucks and Cafe Nerro perhaps prove me wrong.
Old May 22nd 2011, 9:14 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
In your situation, ie not planning to work and build the business up yourself, I would sell or rent it out, and not bother with all the hassle.

You seem to have no intention of living in Spain, and doing a projectlike that could take quite a while.

Leaving the place empty gives you a bigger scope for renting / selling.

As the saying goes if in doubt-do nowt.
Sound advice. I know someone who has a comfortable living from renting out some locales. Businesses keep going bust but along comes another sucker paying a premium for the lease and he has no risk whatsoever.

I can't see the concept working in Spain.
Old May 22nd 2011, 9:32 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

In most cases getting a franchise is a mugs game.

I know of a few who have come unstuck, the criteria as regards town size were quite strict in the past.

More recently they will allow outlets in smaller towns, or have sold more frachises in bigger ones where the original franchonse owners were told there would not be anymore.

Also the goalposts are often moved, ie Mcdonalds, now open for breakfast, at 6am I think.
More products more packaging, all bought from the franchise company, exta staff needed for the extra opening hours, in some cases not enough custom to cover the costs, so profits get eaten into.

When telepizza first started, the prices were much higher than now, I have seen a pizza plus 2 cans of Mahou fpr 9euros, unheard of in the past.

The sales may increase with the offers, but more staff are probably needed than before and the takings may not have varied much.

They bring out new products all the time,McChicken wings etc, some may need more kitchen equipmant and so on.

They have got you by the short and curlies and there is nothing you can do, every move you make is dictated by a higher power, target to reach etc.

It can and does work for a great number of people, but there are just as many trapped after investing heavily in so called ready made gold mines.
Old May 22nd 2011, 9:54 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

They have got you by the short and curlies and there is nothing you can do, every move you make is dictated by a higher power, target to reach etc.

It can and does work for a great number of people, but there are just as many trapped after investing heavily in so called ready made gold mines.
I think the worst aspect of it, is you are tied to the popularity of the chain, and if the management of the chain take the wrong path, you have no way of escaping the sinking ship. McDs have shown themselves to be adaptable in recent years - at one point business analysts were predicting their demise, but they came back stronger. I wonder about Nandos, which has been very popular in the UK, but depends very strongly on people eating chicken.
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

wolf727 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=HBG;9380142]I'm going to lower my defences to reply to this interesting thread properly, it deserves it.
QUOTE]

I have to reply back to you just to say thanks for sharing your interesting experience. After all, as you said, you lowered your defences to share that experience, so I owe it to you to get back to you on that and say thanks.

I hope you have better times now, less stressful and smooth running. That is what I try to look for these days...if possible.
Old May 22nd 2011, 4:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
In most cases getting a franchise is a mugs game.

I know of a few who have come unstuck, the criteria as regards town size were quite strict in the past.

More recently they will allow outlets in smaller towns, or have sold more frachises in bigger ones where the original franchonse owners were told there would not be anymore.

Also the goalposts are often moved, ie Mcdonalds, now open for breakfast, at 6am I think.
More products more packaging, all bought from the franchise company, exta staff needed for the extra opening hours, in some cases not enough custom to cover the costs, so profits get eaten into.

When telepizza first started, the prices were much higher than now, I have seen a pizza plus 2 cans of Mahou fpr 9euros, unheard of in the past.

The sales may increase with the offers, but more staff are probably needed than before and the takings may not have varied much.

They bring out new products all the time,McChicken wings etc, some may need more kitchen equipmant and so on.

After selling out of my business in the UK I bought and ran a franchise for 4 years before I came to Spain. It was very successful. Choosing your franchise carefully is the trick, and speaking to other franchisees to see how they are treated
Old May 22nd 2011, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynnxa
that's because most of us are enjoying the best weather we've had since September!!

do you mean a non-licensed-no-alcohol-type-place?

there's one in Jávea - it's a brit run bakery come cafe - I think it opens about 9.30 am. I'm not sure what time it closes, but it certainly isn't usually open in the evening, except perhaps high summer season

it pretty much open to a UK timetable
I think they are closed at 15.00!!
Old May 22nd 2011, 6:28 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reggiedh
I think they are closed at 15.00!!
even earlier than I thought!!