Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cadiz, Chiclana area

Cadiz, Chiclana area

Old Aug 27th 2015, 1:50 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cadiz, Chiclana area

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You're welcome and we all different opinions and views. I'm sure there are many happy people in that area and It's just the information I have. If you move over permanently, life can be completely different. It's just more noticeable in the smaller towns down south.
Hola

Perhaps anyone actually coming to Chiclana will be PLEASANTLY surprised by the friendliness of the people; whether they be Spanish or ex-pats.

I challenge Moses to publish "It's just the information I have" - with sources that can be verified. Opinion is one thing but facts are there for everyone.

Davexf
Old Aug 27th 2015, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Perhaps anyone actually coming to Chiclana will be PLEASANTLY surprised by the friendliness of the people; whether they be Spanish or ex-pats.

I challenge Moses to publish "It's just the information I have" - with sources that can be verified. Opinion is one thing but facts are there for everyone.

Davexf
I've been to Chiclana three times, on holiday. There is a reason we keep coming back - playa barrosa and the nearby hotels are wonderful, some of the best in Spain

However, Chiclana the town is a dump and the urbanised area behind the hotels is rundown because it is illegal so nobody is maintaining it. The beach and the immediate area is fantastic, but that area is miserable and the town itself has a very depressed run-down feel

So for me, the area is fantanstic for a week holiday in the summer. If I were to live there, I think I would be bored and depressed in a couple of months

Also worth noting, is the whole coast outside of summer can be very windy. The Atalantic Coast of Cadiz and Huelva is fantastic and in my opinion almost as good as the Asturian and Galician coast, but out of season, I am not so sure
Old Aug 27th 2015, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Davexf
That's why I said the information I have from others and you just have to look at the Spanish newspapers too. This forum is to help people and as mentioned I'm sure there are many happy people in the area. Personally I have to agree with cricketman and for a holiday the beaches are great, however I would not want to spend my retirement in that area. Compared to the Costa Brava, it looked very rundown and I can't imagine it in winter. Again it is always personal choice. Somehow there are still people willing to live in a high-rise in Benidorm, so maybe I just don't fit in.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 4:33 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

I think those of us that live in Chiclana could tell you numerous times that it is not as others seem to say a dump apart from the beach but the only way you will find out is to go and rent there for some months before you buy.

Hopefully you will find it as I do a great place to live in all seasons with plenty going on locally and in nearby towns and villages. I do think the town has improved quite a lot over the past few years.

"urbanised area behind the hotels is rundown because it is illegal so nobody is maintaining it"
The area behind the hotels is Novo Sancti Petri and it is far from rundown and not illegal. Wish I could afford to buy one of the houses there! The majority of holiday homes in the Chiclana area are Spanish owned and the majority of summer visitors are Spanish as well so it can't be all bad.....
Old Aug 27th 2015, 7:10 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YMF
I think those of us that live in Chiclana could tell you numerous times that it is not as others seem to say a dump apart from the beach but the only way you will find out is to go and rent there for some months before you buy.

Hopefully you will find it as I do a great place to live in all seasons with plenty going on locally and in nearby towns and villages. I do think the town has improved quite a lot over the past few years.

"urbanised area behind the hotels is rundown because it is illegal so nobody is maintaining it"
The area behind the hotels is Novo Sancti Petri and it is far from rundown and not illegal. Wish I could afford to buy one of the houses there! The majority of holiday homes in the Chiclana area are Spanish owned and the majority of summer visitors are Spanish as well so it can't be all bad.....

Thanks YMF, I did think that Cricketman was being harsh and I wonder how long it has been since he´s been here. As I said in my earlier post, things have changed in the time that we´ve been here. xx
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh

Thanks YMF, I did think that Cricketman was being harsh and I wonder how long it has been since he´s been here. As I said in my earlier post, things have changed in the time that we´ve been here. xx
Last time I was in Chiclana was last year in June. Actually we go to Novo Sancti Petri every year or so. But it is all pretty close. The hotels are great, but the rest of the area is soulless

Just to say that all areas have their good and bad points, I can see why some people would like to live in the area, it is still nicer than the Costa del sol in my opinion
Old Aug 28th 2015, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YMF

We're all different and have opinions. It's best if people find out for themselves anyway. I can't imagine that Novo Sancti Petri is expensive unless sellers are trying their luck and it's just like an urbanisation you'd find all over Spain. The houses look the same to me and I can imagine that it's pretty dead in winter, but maybe I'm wrong. It's a buyer's market and being open to different areas is the key.