Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cadiar (Costa Tropical) - Good Move or Not

Cadiar (Costa Tropical) - Good Move or Not

Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Cadiar (Costa Tropical) - Good Move or Not

Have the chance to move to Cadiar, can anyone advise me on whether it is an up and coming area or hasbeen area.

I am looking for somewhere that has personality but also the with the chance to start a business, that might at least have half a chance of getting going.

Would love to speak to people within the region to find out how it really is, not just what you read on the internet.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:09 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cadiar (Costa Tropical) - Good Move or Not

Cadiar is not exactly on the Costa Tropical. In fact it is 1000m high up in the mountains and it is 70km from the coast.

It gets very cold in winter with frequent snow. It's a relatively large village for the area, about 1600. The only real opportunities would be in rural tourism. What type of business might you be considering?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

I know it is not exactly on the Costa and the resrarch I have done I know it can get snowy during the winter.

I had a retail craft shop, so ideally my customers would be expats within the area that either do craft or wish to start a new hobby, crafting is not age or sex specific, anyone can give it a go. As a crafter I know that crafters travel even when we are on holiday, we make a bee line for the nearest craft shop , so a it is also be aimed at holiday makers, passer bys as well.

I know that it may be better to incorporate it with other products aimed at the expat market as well.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:05 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think you need to spend some time up there to get a better feel for the area. I doubt that more than a handful of expats live up there - it's too cold and far from anywhere.

You might get some passing trade in the summer from tourists but if you are looking for year round business you will need to be much closer to the expat areas - ie. on the coast.

I live in a coastal expat area, fairly close (80km) to Cadiar and I cannot think of anything that would convince me to drive up to Cadiar just to buy something!
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:21 am
Just Joined

janatfold is an unknown quantity at this point

hi found this site (Great) as I was looking for the phone number of the english shop in Cadiar. (cant find it on the net).To see if I could get in touch for a place to rent for a week. We first visited Cadiar last year, I found there to be alot of English people there in reply to some ones question. It was very relaxing and could let the kids go at night. Apparently there is a new swimming pool being built or bulit near the footabll ground, the other one was disgusting and we had to travel every day higher up for a swimming pool it was worth it very nice.
There used to be alot on e-bay lets but cant find anything in our price range.
Hope some one can help please need to get away for a break found flights this morning £6 each ok + taxes but cheap.
jan
Old Jul 5th 2009, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by janatfold
hi found this site (Great) as I was looking for the phone number of the english shop in Cadiar. (cant find it on the net).To see if I could get in touch for a place to rent for a week. We first visited Cadiar last year, I found there to be alot of English people there in reply to some ones question. It was very relaxing and could let the kids go at night. Apparently there is a new swimming pool being built or bulit near the footabll ground, the other one was disgusting and we had to travel every day higher up for a swimming pool it was worth it very nice.
Hope some one can help please need to get away for a break found flights this morning £6 each ok + taxes but cheap.
jan
Hi jan, you on about the first one you come to as you drive into cadiar. Has a little bit of everything in it? They are building a new pool I was their last week and moving over in permanantly in 3 weeks. I did find it relaxing and looking forward to it.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 11:27 am
Just Joined

You lucky thing I hope you enjoy. In my younger days I lived in lancara cyprus
i really enjoyed it. i was going to get carried away then and tell you my life story!! Yes the shop yes its the first one on the right as you come in do you know the phone number?
Where are you going to live in cadiar? we rented down La Real last year off the square very nice apartment but two cats went with it! love cats but they were too much in your beds!
Has the Spar shop moved yet? they were going to bigger premises last year.
jan
Old Jul 5th 2009, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

You lucky thing I hope you enjoy. In my younger days I lived in lancara cyprus
i really enjoyed it. i was going to get carried away then and tell you my life story!! Yes the shop yes its the first one on the right as you come in do you know the phone number?
Where are you going to live in cadiar? we rented down La Real last year off the square very nice apartment but two cats went with it! love cats but they were too much in your beds!
Has the Spar shop moved yet? they were going to bigger premises last year.
jan
Did not come across a spar, there was an empty british supermarket long story as to why that closed, when are you traveling?. I stayed in an apartment above a lovely restaurant, the lady was called anita.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 3:53 pm
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

We have a holiday home in cadiar, been there 3 years now and plan to retire there. Great place, a lot of Brits in spite of the location, all very friendly and helpful.

We like it because, to us, it is a great location, long country walks, skiing in winter and 30 minutes to the beach. Way cooler in summer and fantastic snow in winter.

As ever, the locals are lovely people provided you make an effort with the lingo.

Quite a few bars and one or two moderate eateries, nothing to get excited about though.

Things a bit tight just now due to downturn in building work which almost all the Brit expats are involved in.

As an example of the economy even the Romanians have moved out!

Very safe little town, our kids leave in the morning, meet up with a big gang of kids and we don't see them until evening.

A great school, Spanish only, a fantastic medical service, 24 hour manned clinic with ambulance and air ambulance to Granada if needed.

Re the English shop, it closed down but another shop selling more or less the same cropped up overnight in the square near the fountain, coffee shop, crocery and even wifi internet at 1 euro per hour!

Get in ther as soon as you can and advertise with them, I'd say nearly all the Brit expats drift in and out of there at some time of the day.

Re crafts, I suggest getting into stuff tourists would want to buy as there is very little on offer. Of all the trips into Cadiar all we ever came away with was a salt and pepper set in the shape of 2 ghosts with "Cadiar" written on them. Still don't get it!

Good luck to you, I'm sure you will enjoy it, we'll probably bump into each other at some stage.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 4:04 pm
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

[QUOTE=janatfold;7725028]hi found this site (Great) as I was looking for the phone number of the english shop in Cadiar. (cant find it on the net).To see if I could get in touch for a place to rent for a week. We first visited Cadiar last year, I found there to be alot of English people there in reply to some ones question. It was very relaxing and could let the kids go at night. Apparently there is a new swimming pool being built or bulit near the footabll ground, the other one was disgusting and we had to travel every day higher up for a swimming pool it was worth it very nice.
jan[/QUOT

Email these guys in Cadiar, they usually have holiday lets listed.

http://www.sunshine-property.com/
Old Jul 5th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eylesda
We have a holiday home in cadiar, been there 3 years now and plan to retire there. Great place, a lot of Brits in spite of the location, all very friendly and helpful.

We like it because, to us, it is a great location, long country walks, skiing in winter and 30 minutes to the beach. Way cooler in summer and fantastic snow in winter.

As ever, the locals are lovely people provided you make an effort with the lingo.

Quite a few bars and one or two moderate eateries, nothing to get excited about though.

Things a bit tight just now due to downturn in building work which almost all the Brit expats are involved in.

As an example of the economy even the Romanians have moved out!

Very safe little town, our kids leave in the morning, meet up with a big gang of kids and we don't see them until evening.

A great school, Spanish only, a fantastic medical service, 24 hour manned clinic with ambulance and air ambulance to Granada if needed.

Re the English shop, it closed down but another shop selling more or less the same cropped up overnight in the square near the fountain, coffee shop, crocery and even wifi internet at 1 euro per hour!

Get in ther as soon as you can and advertise with them, I'd say nearly all the Brit expats drift in and out of there at some time of the day.

Re crafts, I suggest getting into stuff tourists would want to buy as there is very little on offer. Of all the trips into Cadiar all we ever came away with was a salt and pepper set in the shape of 2 ghosts with "Cadiar" written on them. Still don't get it!

Good luck to you, I'm sure you will enjoy it, we'll probably bump into each other at some stage.
Did not come across the one by the fountain either, ah well will have a good nose round and not at 8.30 in the morning, when I am settled.

Found the one as you go into Cadiar, nice group of people and good selection of brit styled food as well as clothes, dvds, books and a cafe.

May well see you in there Jan.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 6:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jay01
Did not come across the one by the fountain either, ah well will have a good nose round and not at 8.30 in the morning, when I am settled.

Found the one as you go into Cadiar, nice group of people and good selection of brit styled food as well as clothes, dvds, books and a cafe.

May well see you in there Jan.
Go to the town square with the fountain to your left the bank to your right, turn right and walk between the church and the fish market and it is straight ahead of you.

Fantastic bacon sarnies and coffee, best consumed at 8.30 in the morning!
Old Jul 5th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eylesda
Go to the town square with the fountain to your left the bank to your right, turn right and walk between the church and the fish market and it is straight ahead of you.

Fantastic bacon sarnies and coffee, best consumed at 8.30 in the morning!
Saw the church walked past it several times, maybe did not go far enough, thanks for the advice will check it out.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

What a fanastic site this is I bet you feel at home already jay.
We will be going out August 5th? 6th? I am praying hope to see you there jay
But I will keep looking on site just in chance any thing else comes up. Looked at that sunshine prop.... site some looked lovely but aliitle outside our price bracket.
jan
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

What a fanastic site this is I bet you feel at home already jay.
We will be going out August 5th? 6th? I am praying hope to see you there jay
But I will keep looking on site just in chance any thing else comes up. Looked at that sunshine prop.... site some looked lovely but aliitle outside our price bracket.
jan
If you contact jan at sunshine property she may be able to arrange something for your holiday. She is really nice and very knowledgable. I am going out at the end of this month, with whom did you find your flights?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.