Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

C E recycling bins

C E recycling bins

Old Sep 4th 2015, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sue and Barry will become famous soon enoughSue and Barry will become famous soon enough
Default C E recycling bins

Hi. We have noticed different rubbish bins on CE. They appear to be for the usual plastics/bottles/card and paper, plus a new orange-topped one for food and garden waste. Any idea where we are supposed to leave 'general' rubbish which can't be recycled please?! Thank you
Old Nov 8th 2015, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

flashyblade is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: C E recycling bins

Has anyone worked out the answer to this question yet? We were there last week and we were left with a bag of rubbish that didn't fall into any particular category. Was a leaflet ever handed out to give more precise instructions? I'm very happy to recycle, but it's bloody hard if you don't know what to put in which bin.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by flashyblade
Has anyone worked out the answer to this question yet? We were there last week and we were left with a bag of rubbish that didn't fall into any particular category. Was a leaflet ever handed out to give more precise instructions? I'm very happy to recycle, but it's bloody hard if you don't know what to put in which bin.
Hi, all that has changed is that the orange bins have replaced the old green bins that used to be in the fenced area. So, anything that can't be recycled goes in those, regards Bryony.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Where I am there are three new, coloured bins. The orange is for organic only, one lady told me she had asked at the Ayuntamiento and told that. may of course be different other places.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

flashyblade is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the orange bin that is confusing. They seem to be filled with random rubbish and not organic material. And there's always some material that doesn't fit a category. Where do you put that waste?
Old Nov 9th 2015, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Aye think I will get in contact with the Ayuntamiento and ask.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

JeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, the "organic" ones replace the former green containers. I will try to check with the town hall.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

MKABZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Good morning all,
Can anyone confirm as yet whether the orange organic bin replaces the old green general rubbish bin or not? It is very confusing.

Mary.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Answer=Yes

"En la fracciĂ³n de orgĂ¡nica se incluyen alimentos, materia orgĂ¡nica, restos de comida, restos textiles, pañales, toallitas de aseo y otros residuos no considerados envases. De otro lado, se entiende por envases ligeros los desechos procedentes de bricks, botellas y botes de plĂ¡stico, latas de bebida y conserva, film transparente, papel de aluminio, bolsas de plĂ¡stico o vasos de yogur."

Giahsa dispone el operativo de recogida de RSU en el litoral para Semana Santa

Don't be fooled by the photo. If the beach area has only 2 of the older looking bins, then yellow=packaging (other than paper/cardboard), and green=organic.

However, in town (urbano) and Costa Esuri, the newer "Nord" type bins are grey with coloured lids. There are one or two dome shaped bins around still.

(Naranja)Orange Bin = Organic (O=O)

Foodstuff, Garden waste*, Textiles, Nappies/Diapers, Toilet Paper, and any other unpackaged organic waste...
* eg. smaller tree branches

(Amarillo)Yellow Bin or Dome = Light weight Packaging/Containers

(Empty) Tetra paks, plastic bottles and containers, cans, tins, cling film, aluminium foil, plastic carrier bags, yoghurt pots (even those terracotta ones but not the glass ones), crockery (non glass) & cutlery...

(Verde)Green Bin or Dome = Glass (clear and coloured)

(Azul)Blue Bin = Paper/Cardboard

Ok so far? Are you still with me?

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residu...%B3lido_urbano

Lastly, CERA has issued good advice on the disposal of larger items of rubbish.

hth
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Answer=Yes

"En la fracciĂ³n de orgĂ¡nica se incluyen alimentos, materia orgĂ¡nica, restos de comida, restos textiles, pañales, toallitas de aseo y otros residuos no considerados envases. De otro lado, se entiende por envases ligeros los desechos procedentes de bricks, botellas y botes de plĂ¡stico, latas de bebida y conserva, film transparente, papel de aluminio, bolsas de plĂ¡stico o vasos de yogur."

Giahsa dispone el operativo de recogida de RSU en el litoral para Semana Santa

Don't be fooled by the photo. If the beach area has only 2 of the older looking bins, then yellow=packaging (other than paper/cardboard), and green=organic.

However, in town (urbano) and Costa Esuri, the newer "Nord" type bins are grey with coloured lids. There are one or two dome shaped bins around still.

(Naranja)Orange Bin = Organic (O=O)

Foodstuff, Garden waste*, Textiles, Nappies/Diapers, Toilet Paper, and any other unpackaged organic waste...
* eg. smaller tree branches

(Amarillo)Yellow Bin or Dome = Light weight Packaging/Containers

(Empty) Tetra paks, plastic bottles and containers, cans, tins, cling film, aluminium foil, plastic carrier bags, yoghurt pots (even those terracotta ones but not the glass ones), crockery (non glass) & cutlery...

(Verde)Green Bin or Dome = Glass (clear and coloured)

(Azul)Blue Bin = Paper/Cardboard

Ok so far? Are you still with me?

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residu...%B3lido_urbano

Lastly, CERA has issued good advice on the disposal of larger items of rubbish.

hth
Can I just say that I answered this question at the top of the thread. All you need to do is ignore the word organic and just put anything that can't be recycled in there. Regards Bryony.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Oo-er Bryony,
I think the tricky word here is "recycled".
Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

MKABZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Carol&John,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my spanish is not up to reading the web page, though I could translate some of it. I know the obvious items and which bins they go in, what i am not sure about is items which do not fall into any of these categories, eg. foam or polystyrene from packaging. Would these go with the plastic?
I realise Bryony already said everything else goes in the organic bin but as you mentioned, that negates the bin being for organic items.
It just seems quite different from our recycling bins in Scotland.

Mary.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, foam & polystyrene go in the yellow bin as packaging.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MKABZ
Carol&John,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my spanish is not up to reading the web page, though I could translate some of it. I know the obvious items and which bins they go in, what i am not sure about is items which do not fall into any of these categories, eg. foam or polystyrene from packaging. Would these go with the plastic?
I realise Bryony already said everything else goes in the organic bin but as you mentioned, that negates the bin being for organic items.
It just seems quite different from our recycling bins in Scotland.

Mary.
Hi Mary, I'm sure that if you are new to CE or just come out on holidays the bin system can be confusing. I have been living there (until last September) for the last 8 years and I can assure you that the 'orange bins' just replaced the old green ones and everything else remains the same. Most of the non organic waste you have will go in the yellow bins, apart from glass, paper and card, cooking oil, batteries and light bulbs. These go in special bins dotted about in various places. Regards Bryony

P.S I think the reason there is confusion is because of the word 'Organic' on the bins. It wasn't on the green ones and in some cases now it is taken too literally. B

Last edited by MikeCol; Apr 27th 2016 at 8:37 am.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Hi Mary, I'm sure that if you are new to CE or just come out on holidays the bin system can be confusing. I have been living there (until last September) for the last 8 years and I can assure you that the 'orange bins' just replaced the old green ones and everything else remains the same. Most of the non organic waste you have will go in the yellow bins, apart from glass, paper and card, cooking oil, batteries and light bulbs. These go in special bins dotted about in various places. Regards Bryony

P.S I think the reason there is confusion is because of the word 'Organic' on the bins. It wasn't on the green ones and in some cases now it is taken too literally. B
Hi Bryony & Mary,

Good of you to mention the batteries (pilas) and the cooking oil (aceite), Bryony. Where does one recycle lightbulbs (bombillas)?

The batteries can be recycled in most supermarkets, Leroy Merlin, and possibly chemists.

I'm guessing most restaurants and churrerĂ­as will recycle cooking oil, but I've never had the need to recycle this at home (just do not pour it down the drain). However, the charity Madre Coraje does recycle cooking oil, and clean used clothing. The latter at several points in Ayamonte:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...w.kJwSZ7-Dk064

hth