Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying used motorbike in UK and importing to Spain.

Buying used motorbike in UK and importing to Spain.

Old Jan 19th 2014, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

calidana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying used motorbike in UK and importing to Spain.

As per title. Am looking into this due to high prices and poor quality in Spain. I plan to buy one unseen (most likely from a dealer) and have it shipped down. I would likely get a gestor to take care of things here but what documents etc would I need to have included with the bike? It would be a model which has been sold in Spain, so is approved for use.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying used motorbike in UK and importing to Spain.

Missile will be along to give the full rundown no doubt. However will it be new or used? If used it will need an ITV etc for it to be registered dependent on age, Be aware that there is some argument over bike headlights and legality.

I looked at bringing out my hayabusa, some said the headlight is a direct beam and should pass, others argue that it still needs to dip to the nearside to pass.

Quite how you get a flat beam direct headlight to dip to the nearside is beyond me. I'm sure if you compared part numbers of a spanish headlight to a UK equivelent they would be the same. Lighting technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years, so unless its a really old bike then don't worry too much.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for reply. It will be a used but not abused bike (2008 model). I am not too worried about the headlight. Have even heard of some getting through the ITV without changing it over. I am more concerned about the registration document. Does it have to be changed over to my name before the bike leaves the UK? Other things I have heard about are a "bill of sale" and export document?
Old Jan 19th 2014, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes when I rode over last year I was confused about the headlight thing made worse by having twin headlights mine are direct lights Dont dip either way. I left well alone and took a tape on converter in case I got stopped which I didn't, I will do the same this summer when I ride over. Of course I wasn't importing it permanently. I believe motorbike insurance in Spain is quite expensive which would put me off if I was living there full time. Currently fully comp for a Triumph Tiger 955i with full European cover and breakdown cover I only pay £124
Old Jan 19th 2014, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Some modern bike you just change the bulb so when on dip it dips to the opposite side, DRZ400 is one, cheap and easy
Old Jan 19th 2014, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully will have a big British bike for sale come March, already on spanish plates. Might be an option ?
Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Paperwork. As I understand it a vehicle has to be registered to you as owner for a period of not less than 6 months before you can avoid import costs.

Basically any paperwork that covers a car is also true for a bike. I think this forum has a section on vehicles in the free beer thread, you could do worse than check out those.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

I did a three week tour around Spain a couple of years ago on my Yamaha Dragstar. I checked on headlight dipping and was told that adjustments were not needed on bikes as they neither dip left or right! (you needed spare bulbs though and tools to fit them) also you require a GB sticker.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:49 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Paperwork. As I understand it a vehicle has to be registered to you as owner for a period of not less than 6 months before you can avoid import costs.
That only applies if you are bringing it with you when you come to live permanently in Spain and wish to avoid the matriculation cost (there are no import fees as such).

As the OP already lives here the full matriculation tax would apply anyway.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
That only applies if you are bringing it with you when you come to live permanently in Spain and wish to avoid the matriculation cost (there are no import fees as such).

As the OP already lives here the full matriculation tax would apply anyway.
Correct .

Plenty headlight info above .

It is the paperwork which concerns me most though .

What documents do I need to accompany the motorbike ?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 11:34 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

If you are buying a bike in the UK and getting it shipped over immediately, and you are going to change it onto Spanish plates, you simply need the Vo5C logbook (in your name) and possibly a bill of sale but normally the bill of sale is not necessary. Everything else can be purchased here.

If you can get the "Certificate of European conformity" then that will save you money. You do not need an English MOT test certificate as you will get a Spanish one during the process. No one will check whether it is insured or not.

You will need to be able to prove you are "you" - your passport will suffice, you will need an NIE and padron to place you in a particular property in Spain. You can get on the padron with a rental agreement.

Davexf
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

If you are buying a bike in the UK and getting it shipped over immediately, and you are going to change it onto Spanish plates, you simply need the Vo5C logbook (in your name) and possibly a bill of sale but normally the bill of sale is not necessary. Everything else can be purchased here.

If you can get the "Certificate of European conformity" then that will save you money. You do not need an English MOT test certificate as you will get a Spanish one during the process. No one will check whether it is insured or not.

You will need to be able to prove you are "you" - your passport will suffice, you will need an NIE and padron to place you in a particular property in Spain. You can get on the padron with a rental agreement.

Davexf
Bingo! That is just what I was after - many thanks. I have been here 14 years, just new to this site.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Quick follow up question.
Can my name be transferred onto the logbook by the current owner (or garage) without me being there and then the document sent to me?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:38 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola
yes in theory but don't do it. Make sure all "I's" are dotted and "t's" crossed and all bookwork is correctly completed. Don't even think about trusting someone you don't know.
David
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

OK thanks. So I should have the log book delivered to Spain with the previous owner's name still on it?

What are the main things to check in the paperwork - besides the chasis number?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.