British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Buying a used car in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/buying-used-car-spain-938448/)

Sandm4n May 4th 2021 10:47 am

Buying a used car in Spain

Hi all,

I would like to buy a second hand car in Spain (once I arrive there), it would be probably from a car trader.
1. What do I need to know about buying a second hand car from a trader?
2. Do I need to register the car or is it something that the trader suppose to do?
3. Do I need to pay a road tax like in the UK?
4. How does the MOT called in Spain?
5. I noticed that most of the traders offer 1 year guarentee, does anyone had previous experience with this kind of guarentee?
6. Does anyone had any experience buying a car from 'Flexi car" company? they seems to be a big one in Spain.
7. Anything else that I need to know?

Thanks

Chipmonk May 4th 2021 11:13 am

Re: Buying a used car in Spain

You will need an NIE number and possibly need to be on the padron. Yes there are MOTs called eeettttyouvi (ITV) plus road tax etc. If you plan to live in Spain and hold a UK licence then you will unfortunately need to do a Spanish licence test within six months. And that means you need to speak Spanish!!. If you are only here as non resident then you dont need a Spanish licence. Think very hard about this if you are thinking of being a resident as life without a car could be impossible

Sandm4n May 4th 2021 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Chipmonk (Post 13002201)
Yes there are MOTs called eeettttyouvi (ITV) plus road tax etc.

Do I need to pay the road tax after I buy the car (non transferable like in the UK) or is it something that need to be paid anually with no relation to the sale?

If you are only here as non resident then you dont need a Spanish licence.

I haven't arrived to Spain yet, just planning ahead.

If you plan to live in Spain and hold a UK licence then you will unfortunately need to do a Spanish licence test within six months. And that means you need to speak Spanish!!

Well...That's something I'll have to deal with once I arrive to Spain.

Thanks

Loafing Along May 4th 2021 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sandm4n (Post 13002186)
Hi all,

I would like to buy a second hand car in Spain (once I arrive there), it would be probably from a car trader.
2. Do I need to register the car or is it something that the trader suppose to do?
5. I noticed that most of the traders offer 1 year guarentee, does anyone had previous experience with this kind of guarentee?
6. Does anyone had any experience buying a car from 'Flexi car" company? they seems to be a big one in Spain.

Thanks

If you buy from a dealer they should do the documentation for you
Yes there is an annual road tax
No experience of the guarantee , bought from a dealer,came as part of "package" but never needed it .
Other questions answered by a previous post.

missile May 4th 2021 3:01 pm

1. Just like UK, Buyer beware.
2. It is your responsibility, but most traders will do it for you
3. Road tax is paid by whoever owns the car on January 01st and it stays with the car and transferred to new keeper
4. The MOT equivalent is ITV, see here How To Get a Mot in Spain (ITV in Spain) - Expat Agency (spain-help.com)
5. Just like UK, any guarantee is only as good as the trader or the insurance company who provides the cover.
6. No
7. It is legal to drive a Spanish car on UK license, for not more than 6 months. I was told it is not legal to drive it, if you own the car. This may be an urban myth?

Barriej May 4th 2021 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Sandm4n (Post 13002186)
Hi all,

Thanks

I purchased a used car last year and collected it in August when we came over so.

You will need a NIE but if you are not resident you DO NOT need the Padron, We didn't you just have to show proof of a Spanish address (the padron is easiest for them to ask for, rent contract or deeds will do)

1. Look around and compare prices (same as UK) Dont just go to a British dealer as sometimes you will get mistreated (although I did but the dealer has a couple of thousand good reviews and a local mentioned him as well)
2. Most larger places will do this and the paperwork should be in the car when you collect it (I would actually wait to make sure it is). Unlike the Uk you must keep the paperwork in the vehicle. You will get a green paper 'Permiso de circulation' which is the logbook. There will also be another card (with a paper attached depending on age) with all the ITV stickers in it (also check the ITV sticker in the top right of the windscreen)
3. Road tax, as stated whoever was the owner on Jan 1st is responsible. Ive just paid this years and it was €47 for a 2007 Citroen C4 1.4l petrol car. If you are in the Alicante area you can check SUMA to see when it is due.
4. ITV. Had mine today. Easier than the Uk MOT in my view (I've done loads with classic cars). This is government controlled so there isn't one on every corner like in the UK. You stay with the vehicle and it takes about 15mins. Also not as comprehensive as the UK. I have an oil leak but they just noted the engine was dirty. You get a sticker for the car (you are supposed to remove the old one).
New cars dont need an ITV for the first 4 years and then its bi annual until 10 years. Then its every year. *Be careful if you are buying a van type car or an MPV, these are sometimes given a different classification and need to be ITV'd every 6 months*
5. Warranty is the same everywhere, check the small print...
6. Nope never heard of them. Are they like the car warehouse? if so Buyer beware.
7. Research, just like you would in the UK. Dont listen to the dealer. Check everything. Milage (or KM) here is recorded on the Permiso at the last owner change, so its more or less guaranteed.
Service history is nice, dont worry about the small dents etc, just a fact of driving here.

Second hand cars here are a good 30% plus dearer than the UK, but little rust or corrosion to worry about and the higher prices are due in part to the low uptake of new cars being traded in and people here just keep cars longer. Unless they are Brits or Germans who tend to change every couple of years. :)
My one would have been about £2000 in the Uk but was €3500 here but its in much better condition than the same one would have been in the UK and it has low milage for its age.

Hope this helps.

Sandm4n May 5th 2021 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Barriej (Post 13002321)
I purchased a used car last year and collected it in August when we came over so.

You will need a NIE but if you are not resident you DO NOT need the Padron, We didn't you just have to show proof of a Spanish address (the padron is easiest for them to ask for, rent contract or deeds will do)

1. Look around and compare prices (same as UK) Dont just go to a British dealer as sometimes you will get mistreated (although I did but the dealer has a couple of thousand good reviews and a local mentioned him as well)
2. Most larger places will do this and the paperwork should be in the car when you collect it (I would actually wait to make sure it is). Unlike the Uk you must keep the paperwork in the vehicle. You will get a green paper 'Permiso de circulation' which is the logbook. There will also be another card (with a paper attached depending on age) with all the ITV stickers in it (also check the ITV sticker in the top right of the windscreen)
3. Road tax, as stated whoever was the owner on Jan 1st is responsible. Ive just paid this years and it was €47 for a 2007 Citroen C4 1.4l petrol car. If you are in the Alicante area you can check SUMA to see when it is due.
4. ITV. Had mine today. Easier than the Uk MOT in my view (I've done loads with classic cars). This is government controlled so there isn't one on every corner like in the UK. You stay with the vehicle and it takes about 15mins. Also not as comprehensive as the UK. I have an oil leak but they just noted the engine was dirty. You get a sticker for the car (you are supposed to remove the old one).
New cars dont need an ITV for the first 4 years and then its bi annual until 10 years. Then its every year. *Be careful if you are buying a van type car or an MPV, these are sometimes given a different classification and need to be ITV'd every 6 months*
5. Warranty is the same everywhere, check the small print...
6. Nope never heard of them. Are they like the car warehouse? if so Buyer beware.
7. Research, just like you would in the UK. Dont listen to the dealer. Check everything. Milage (or KM) here is recorded on the Permiso at the last owner change, so its more or less guaranteed.
Service history is nice, dont worry about the small dents etc, just a fact of driving here.

Second hand cars here are a good 30% plus dearer than the UK, but little rust or corrosion to worry about and the higher prices are due in part to the low uptake of new cars being traded in and people here just keep cars longer. Unless they are Brits or Germans who tend to change every couple of years. :)
My one would have been about £2000 in the Uk but was €3500 here but its in much better condition than the same one would have been in the UK and it has low milage for its age.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer, it helps a lot.