British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Buying Spanish registered car in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/buying-spanish-registered-car-uk-658597/)

stuart from barnsley Mar 9th 2010 7:20 pm

Buying Spanish registered car in UK

Hi what would I need to do if buying a Spanish registered car in the UK to take to Spain? Thanks Stuart.

twistedmelon Mar 9th 2010 11:40 pm

Re: Buying Spanish registered car in UK

Originally Posted by stuart from barnsley (Post 8407895)
Hi what would I need to do if buying a Spanish registered car in the UK to take to Spain? Thanks Stuart.

Firstly, make sure the seller is legit, are they private or trade?
Knowing what paperwork you'll need is vital and you'll have to do your homework on that as it's not straightforward.
There are mixed opinions here as to the value of doing it and a lot does depend on the seller and the price. I lean towards don't personaly but that's only my opinion.

sensationalfrog Mar 9th 2010 11:51 pm

could be a lot of tax and fines owed on it

to clarify,i know loads of people that dont pay their car tax as it is from the local council,same with parking fines etc,you can get away for years without paying,you buy the car tho,i guess you will have probs if you register it in your name,if not,who knows if you get stopped,bye bye car

spainrico Mar 10th 2010 7:23 am

The short answer is don't - you could end up with a load of expensive problems.

Rotor Mar 10th 2010 8:45 am

Originally Posted by stuart from barnsley (Post 8407895)

Dont touch it until youve had a Spanish gestor varify the docs etc .

carter71 Mar 10th 2010 11:56 am

You'll pay a premium in the UK and there will be almost no choice. Even if you buy from a dealer, what are they going to do if you have problems 1.500 miles away.

Buy from a local dealer when you get here. Much more choice, the car will be legit and legal. Lots of good car dealers around with stock they need to sell!

Don't buy from eBay in Spain or any other website. Or from an individual unless you know them, or know about cars. Individual sellers think anything under 10 years old is nearly new, and anything older is a classic!

Rotor Mar 10th 2010 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by carter71 (Post 8409718)
You'll pay a premium in the UK and there will be almost no choice. Even if you buy from a dealer, what are they going to do if you have problems 1.500 miles away.

Buy from a local dealer when you get here. Much more choice, the car will be legit and legal. Lots of good car dealers around with stock they need to sell!

Don't buy from eBay in Spain or any other website. Or from an individual unless you know them, or know about cars. Individual sellers think anything under 10 years old is nearly new, and anything older is a classic!

Buying from ebay is fine in Spain if you know what your doing, the same as in the UK ,never pay more than 100,00 deposit on line and pay the balance when you collect it ,after youve checked the description etc is correct,

You can also get some good deals from www.autoscout24.es , dealers will charge you at least 25% more than a private seller.

carter71 Mar 10th 2010 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 8409984)
Buying from ebay is fine in Spain if you know what your doing, the same as in the UK ,never pay more than 100,00 deposit on line and pay the balance when you collect it ,after youve checked the description etc is correct,

You can also get some good deals from www.autoscout24.es , dealers will charge you at least 25% more than a private seller.

Individuals seem to have unrealistic expectations for their cars and you often see listings that have been up on eBay and autoscout for more than a year! :eek:

Veleta Mar 10th 2010 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by carter71 (Post 8410162)
Individuals seem to have unrealistic expectations for their cars and you often see listings that have been up on eBay and autoscout for more than a year! :eek:

Very true. My OH advertised his Audi on Autoscout for a while. He wanted at least 3000-4000 euros more than it was worth. Described it as "new" (it was 9 years old at the time), and described it as in "perfect condition". That is of course if you don't count all the scuffs and scrapes on every bumper, etc, etc.

Unsurprisingly he had very little interest and couldn't sell it. So did he reduce the price? No, he just took it off the market after about 6 months and he still has it.:rolleyes:

Sometimes I find it impossible to understand him!

Casa Santo Estevo Mar 10th 2010 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Veleta (Post 8410271)
................ Described it as "new" (it was 9 years old at the time), and described it as in "perfect condition". That is of course if you don't count all the scuffs and scrapes on every bumper, etc, etc...............

That is for a Spanish car.
Back to the OP, I too would not do it. purchase a LHD UK registered car if need be; but with a Spanish one you will need to have in all in your name to drive on any UK, French or Spanish roads. So you have to register it before you leave the UK.

stuart from barnsley Mar 10th 2010 5:54 pm

Thanks for all your advice.