Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a property in Spain. What are the pitfalls? Where's best?

Buying a property in Spain. What are the pitfalls? Where's best?

Old Jun 16th 2019, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

John Swimm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a property in Spain. What are the pitfalls? Where's best?

Hi,

Myself and partner are going to buy a property in Spain to live in. Ideally we want a finca or villa detached as we have several animals and don't want to be overlooked. Want the property to have about 1,000 sq MTRS land, three bed with two bathrooms and a swimming pool. Up to twenty mins inland or less with €150,000 to spend. From everyone's vast experience please could you advice on best areas near descent beaches and a mix of locals and Brit expats. Also what's the best way to come across good property prices? Bank repossessions or estate agents?

All experience advice greatly appreciated

Many thanks

John
Old Jun 16th 2019, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a property in Spain. What are the pitfalls? Where's best?

What area of Spain? You are expecting a lot for your money from what you say.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bobd22
What area of Spain? You are expecting a lot for your money from what you say.
Any of the the following areas;-
Costa Blanca
Costa Calida
Costa Del Sol

i have been checking on rightmove and there’s properties out there. Just wanted some experienced advice. Where would you suggest? What’s the best way to purchase? Bank repossessed? Property Auctions? Estate Agents? All advice greatly appreciated
Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

You have obviously seen such properties advertised. All I can say is in decent parts of the areas you mention that is very cheap for the type of property you mention. Certainly in the area of costa del sol I live but I live in a pueblo not Campo. Pitfalls could be legality of the property? Condition of property etc. Many Campo houses do have legal issues hanging over them so beware. Only way you will really know is looking at them taking independent legal advice.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 1:49 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to see links to those properties. IMHO your chances of finding a decent property to meet your specification are slim. A three bed two bathroom house with a pool for 150,000€, will have issues = e.g. in an undesirable location / in need of substantial renovation, illegal and subject to fine / demolition order.

Good luck :-)
Old Jun 17th 2019, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
I would like to see links to those properties. IMHO your chances of finding a decent property to meet your specification are slim. A three bed two bathroom house with a pool for 150,000€, will have issues = e.g. in an undesirable location / in need of substantial renovation, illegal and subject to fine / demolition order.

Good luck :-)
Hi Bodd,

Are you by any chance an estate agent?
Try Inland Villas, Rightmove and A Place in the Sun. There are quite a few properties listed on there in the bracket I have mentioned. Most of which are not in need of renovation etc..

Okay posing the same question again but with a bracket of 150,000 to 200,000 euros what can you and others please advise.
All advice greatly appreciated

Many thanks

John
Old Jun 17th 2019, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi All,

Will ask the question in a different way. Who out there is prepared to share their bad Spain property purchasing experience so as to prevent others including ourselves doing the same.
And those of you that made a substantial saving then please share this so as to enable ourselves to benefit.
All advice greatly appreciative.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 7:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Your budget is far too low for any of the popular Costas. All you will get for that is a two bed 1 bath terraced house on a small plot.

Old Jun 17th 2019, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.azaharproperties.com/?s=...ice&order=desc
Old Jun 18th 2019, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Swimm
Hi Bodd,

Are you by any chance an estate agent?
Try Inland Villas, Rightmove and A Place in the Sun. There are quite a few properties listed on there in the bracket I have mentioned. Most of which are not in need of renovation etc..

Okay posing the same question again but with a bracket of 150,000 to 200,000 euros what can you and others please advise.
All advice greatly appreciated

Many thanks

John
We bought land ourselves and don't live in Spain. We didn't have much cash anyway, so our idea was always to buy land when the prices were low and place a modular home on the land at later stage but that's a different story. However, prices have certainly gone up over the years and it's not really the time to find bargains. There are certainly properties within that price bracket and it's always personal choice anyway, but at least where we are it would be about compromise. Here is one with pool and nearly 1000m2 but it comes at a higher price and the house might be too small for you and would need updating like most do anyway https://www.idealista.com/en/inmueble/82601014/ The other is cheaper, doesn't have the pool and is on a smaller plot with more renovation needed https://www.idealista.com/en/inmueble/35091653/ but it is possible. It won't help you much, as you are looking at the other Costas but idealista would be a good website for properties.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why buy when you can rent ?
Old Jun 18th 2019, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Why buy when you can rent ?
With animals it will be very difficult to find rental and then expect to pay at least €900 for the type of property they want. I suppose it depends what age they are, might be personal preference, so you could also say why rent when you can buy? In 10 years they would pay 110K on rent alone (excluding rental increases).
Old Jun 18th 2019, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Rent is Spain for at least a year and look around for property. €150k is not a lot of money to buy what you want.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you are thinking"English".Rural Spain is not like rural Britain,& I say this as someone who has operated a good business involving animals in UK & Spain.I am retired now & live in a town but my business was in a rural situation,lots of land,very difficult to cultivate most of it if you think"Oh yes,I can grow my own,be self sufficient" It's a dream.Think rather along the lines of no mains water,a deposito which the lorry will come to you for refills & it depends on the price whether you are business rate or for private,electricity by generator although we did get solar power.Maybe no telephone line but you can use a mobile if you can get a signal.But perhaps most of all when you have care of animals,you must consider the protection needed against parasites,a dab of something on the back of the neck I can tell you does not suffice especially up in the hills where you can experience a whole nasty insect world who just love new blood There are diseases unheard of in Britain..Also this applies to humans,I have the scars even yet to prove it.However I would not like to put you off,just giving you some details to consider.And I was running a business which required such a location.There are a lot of other points which others may well help you with.The swimming pool is a great benefit but remember you need to cover it later in the year & it is a big cost to maintain anyway I believe, the reason being it is a wonderful site for breeding Mozzies.Just think things realistically,part of my business was returning pets to their home countries,mostly to UK though,for owners who sadly found that it just didn't come up to the vision as seen on "Get a lovely life here in the sun"type programmes.And you will have to grapple with a new language in a foreign country that has it's own rules & regulations which will apply to your family.I am still here,in with the bricks I suppose but your situation may be quite different.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dougal03
Perhaps you are thinking"English".Rural Spain is not like rural Britain,& I say this as someone who has operated a good business involving animals in UK & Spain.I am retired now & live in a town but my business was in a rural situation,lots of land,very difficult to cultivate most of it if you think"Oh yes,I can grow my own,be self sufficient" It's a dream.Think rather along the lines of no mains water,a deposito which the lorry will come to you for refills & it depends on the price whether you are business rate or for private,electricity by generator although we did get solar power.Maybe no telephone line but you can use a mobile if you can get a signal.But perhaps most of all when you have care of animals,you must consider the protection needed against parasites,a dab of something on the back of the neck I can tell you does not suffice especially up in the hills where you can experience a whole nasty insect world who just love new blood There are diseases unheard of in Britain..Also this applies to humans,I have the scars even yet to prove it.However I would not like to put you off,just giving you some details to consider.And I was running a business which required such a location.There are a lot of other points which others may well help you with.The swimming pool is a great benefit but remember you need to cover it later in the year & it is a big cost to maintain anyway I believe, the reason being it is a wonderful site for breeding Mozzies.Just think things realistically,part of my business was returning pets to their home countries,mostly to UK though,for owners who sadly found that it just didn't come up to the vision as seen on "Get a lovely life here in the sun"type programmes.And you will have to grapple with a new language in a foreign country that has it's own rules & regulations which will apply to your family.I am still here,in with the bricks I suppose but your situation may be quite different.
As far as I can read is that the OP isn't looking for loads of land and has no intention to live in the middle of nowhere. He's just looking for 1,000 sq MTRS land for small animals.
A property like this has 950m2, so wouldn't be too far off https://www.idealista.com/en/inmueble/82601014/ and it's certainly not in the middle of nowhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.