Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

buying in moraira, javea, denia area on northern costa blanca

buying in moraira, javea, denia area on northern costa blanca

Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

sortedtoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: buying in moraira, javea, denia area on northern costa blanca

Had a look at moraira / javea area prices seem stable at the mo, don't think there are many buyers through.

Anyone know what type of offers people are taking to get make sales?
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a villa overlooking Oliva on the hills. We spent the best part of a year or so looking at different areas. We decided Denia & Javea were overpriced, and eventually settled on Oliva.
The climate is good, the beaches are fantastic and the people we have found to be very friendly. Oliva is historically an agricultural town and there is a large market there every Friday morning. Gandia is a short distance away and indeed Valencia is only a 40 min train ride.

I'll pm you the name of the agent who eventually found us a place. He wasn't pushy and has stayed in touch with us now even 18 months after the purchase.

Cheers
JJ
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I have a villa overlooking Oliva on the hills. We spent the best part of a year or so looking at different areas. We decided Denia & Javea were overpriced, and eventually settled on Oliva.
The climate is good, the beaches are fantastic and the people we have found to be very friendly. Oliva is historically an agricultural town and there is a large market there every Friday morning. Gandia is a short distance away and indeed Valencia is only a 40 min train ride.

I'll pm you the name of the agent who eventually found us a place. He wasn't pushy and has stayed in touch with us now even 18 months after the purchase.

Cheers
JJ
thanks - most helpful, how much cheaper would you say oliva is compared with say a 400k javea/denia villa
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Darren Carter
Where some of the responses have been, go here, and go there it is cheaper, there is a reason for the price difference. Moraira and Javea are excellent places to retire, they have good infrastructures where as in Denia, Gandia, Oliva less people (hardly any) in the last two destinations speak English.

Do you want to be able to buy your english newspaper or do you want to sit in a bar surrounded by locals, who dont know what you are saying? Also the orientation of places, Denia, Oliva, Gandia are north facing locations, Javea and Moraira are south.
Oh come on now, why not advise people to integrate? There is so much more to Spain if you make the effort rather than try to recreate England somewhere sunny.

What you say may be true, with respect to area price differentials, but to condone an isolationist attitude only leads to long-term problems and divisions.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Blimy you'd get a mansion for that in Oliva :-)

Seriously, we didn't consider it necessary to spend that much for a place when we were looking, so all I can tell you is we paid the same in Oliva for a place that we saw in Denia, but ours is detached villa, has a fantastic view and a swimming pool. The place in denia was a town house with a shared pool
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:07 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Oh come on now, why not advise people to integrate? There is so much more to Spain if you make the effort rather than try to recreate England somewhere sunny.

What you say may be true, with respect to area price differentials, but to condone an isolationist attitude only leads to long-term problems and divisions.
I'd totally agree with you ... thats what I intend to do. Thankfully my neighbours are Spanish!
However we're not all the same, and I have had to accept after many discussions like this on forums that some Brits just like to be with others
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by sortedtoo
Had a look at moraira / javea area prices seem stable at the mo, don't think there are many buyers through.

Anyone know what type of offers people are taking to get make sales?
I would personally either rent, or buy somewhere small that where you would not get your fingers burned too much if the market suddenly re-adjusted. In the meantime you could look around to find somewhere you would be happy with long-term.

If the academic experts are to be believed, 2006 will see a 10% rise in property values and 2007 probably a corrersponding fall, with a continued fall in 2008 and 2009 (in real terms).

I do not believe that you can compare the Spanish house price market to the UK. The UK did not see anywhere near a 200% increment in property values over the last 6 years, as far as I know, but I will stand corrected as this is off the top of my head.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
in case you didn't see it i've copied my reply to your other question here........

In my experience of living in Javea for over 2 years most property in this area is waaaaaaaay overpriced but so many foreigners are buying at the silly prices. Better to go a half an hour north or south & even just a bit inland for a much better deal.
Having said that I wouldn't live anywhere else - I just won't buy here.
Also depends if you're looking for a property rent out or to live in full time. If it's for holidays & rental you may be better off looking at an apartment or townhouse in a community then you don't have to worry about looking after the garden & pool while you are away. No land grab probs either. Land grab is a real concern & some of my friends living in the foothills of Montgo have had this happen to them even though where they live already seems fairly densely populated.
I've lived in the villa in the hills but give me a smallish community near the beach & the port any day!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 5:45 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - are you seeing things still waaaaaaaay overpriced or are peolple getting more realistic - just wanting to get a feel for the market from a local - thanks

still overpriced, we're still not buying yet
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 8:29 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lynnxa
still overpriced, we're still not buying yet
I would also agree - I keep waiting for things to slow down but while the big rises seem to have cooled off, people are still asking crazy prices.

A couple of estate agents I know seem to think things have picked up since a year ago when they seemed quite worried. Yet I would have expected prices to have come down since then - doesn't look like it!

Mark
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

ok, how about 'better than average' estate agents

Hiya,

We are going to buy in Oliva within the next couple of months......we are getting help from Parasol Networks, Sam and Jane are English, and Wen is Spanish ....they are lovely, REALLY helpful and are not Estate Agents so will not sell you anything that isn't suitable ....www.parasolnetworks.com....

Tried Spanish Full Monty but found them a bit amatuerish and was put off that they showed us properties that did not suit our needs at all, bearing in my mind we had emailed all details over.....bit of a waste of our breif time in Spain....

Saying that, it's each to their own, quite a few posts have recommended them ...but thought I'd just share my experience.

Best of luck to you

Mich