Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying LHD vehicle in UK to Bring over to Spain

Buying LHD vehicle in UK to Bring over to Spain

Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

nx1106 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying LHD vehicle in UK to Bring over to Spain

too easy to say, difficult to do! there must be a way around this. i will keep trying. thanks anyway. unless you fancy a trip to Spain taking my car!!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nx1106
too easy to say, difficult to do! there must be a way around this. i will keep trying. thanks anyway. unless you fancy a trip to Spain taking my car!!
I would come and get it for a small fee! Just as long as it is legal!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Yes bought the car from the LHD Leeds they say they have done a HPI on the car and there is no outstanding loans or taxes owed. They are going to give me a certificate of the HPI Check. I have looked for a company that does an HPI for EU cars but cannot find one.
hmmm never heard of a Spanish eqv to HPI... I would contact a gestor in Spain with the reg and get them to check it out at traffico so be on the safe side..but maybe too late as you have already bought it, what paperwork have you got from the dealer with the car, did he do a Spanish contract ? to get the name changed you need all sorts of paperwork and assuming the car is not in the dealers name has he given the paperwork to you ?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

nx1106 is an unknown quantity at this point

only paid deposit picking up at weekend. he has the log book, the nie number and a photo copy of the last owner
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:35 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

only paid deposit picking up at weekend. he has the log book, the nie number and a photo copy of the last owner
Surely the last owner is the dealer, who should of put it legal before selling it on ?
Old Jun 18th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cymruambyth
Pete_I,

Sorry do not know the answer to that question. My LHD Car purchased from Kilrush cars was ex Belgium lease car, imported into UK and placed onto UK plates. I then owned it for 6 months before driving to Spain and registering in the normal manner (using an excelllent lady called Amanda). Cost in total about 750euro. Saved myself 80euro by having a Certificate of Conformity with the car which meant no need for an ITV technical inspection report (just had to put it through the ITV).
I bought my LHD on ebay 12 months before driving to Spain, shopped around when I got here to have it changed over and also used Amanda - cheapest I found. Took car to her house, lights changed then on to ITV station same day, she took my documents and a few days later all was legal, no hassle, no running around, everything done for me. She is in Costa Blanca South (Torrevieja) PM me for her details if required, my total cost was just under 800 euro
Old Jun 19th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

This is normal practice ,saves paying transfer fees twice.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:38 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
This is normal practice ,saves paying transfer fees twice.
Don't you need the owners signature on the transfer documents? How else can you prove that it's not stolen?
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi Chiclanagir,

Yes read the local "Baywatch" and look for the add "LHD 4 Spain", both Gilly & Sjoren are trustworthy.

If you are looking to do it yourself, send me a pm again and I will send you our costs and procedures; Mike & I have done over 200 cars

There is no difference between re-plating LHD or RHD except perhaps the lights. However a LHD van is a different matter and should be considered impossible.

Davexf
Hi
You do know all the ins and outs of this complex subject. Thanks for your P.M. If one can only stay in Spain for 180 days on U.K. plates, how long can one stay in the U.K. on Spanish plates?
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Location: In a cardboard box soon if I dont find anywhere to rent!
sparkplug will become famous soon enoughsparkplug will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by olivia
Hi
You do know all the ins and outs of this complex subject. Thanks for your P.M. If one can only stay in Spain for 180 days on U.K. plates, how long can one stay in the U.K. on Spanish plates?
what car is it? got a transporter coming down on a one way trip thats only gonna have my motorbike on it. provided its not a massive car then it can go on the trailer if you are willing to strap it down securely
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by sparkplug
what car is it? got a transporter coming down on a one way trip thats only gonna have my motorbike on it. provided its not a massive car then it can go on the trailer if you are willing to strap it down securely
Not bought one yet! We are going to get a small LHD camper. We hope to buy a new one for our retirement. I am getting to know the law and can only spend 180 days in Spain on English plates. How long can we spend in the U.K. on Spanish plates? Not sure at this stage how our time will be split.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:18 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivia
How long can we spend in the U.K. on Spanish plates? .
It says here register ASAP. (what ever that time is!!!)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022583
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Surely any insurer would ask if the vehicle was owned by you, and was roadworthy i.e. has an ITV.

I have always been asked to fax copies of the actual papers before getting insurance cover in Spain. These do not appear to be with this car.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
It says here register ASAP. (what ever that time is!!!)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022583
Six months as long as it is taxed in the country of origin and insured for use in the UK. HERE
Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
Six months as long as it is taxed in the country of origin and insured for use in the UK. HERE
Thanks JDR
So its the same timescale. So we have to decide where we are going to spend most of our time. At this moment in time I think only 3 months in the U.K. So Spain it is. If circumstances change we have to re register? expensive in Spain? cheap in U.K? [If thats right its the only thing that is]
Next question = cost to run!
Tax & Insurance Spain with U.K. cover 'v' Tax & Insurance U.K. with Europe cover.
I'm keeping you bussy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.