Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

buying a leasehold bar but still in uk

buying a leasehold bar but still in uk

Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of
Default Re: buying a leasehold bar but still in uk

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
We moved here 3 years ago ..its cheap to live here if you go were the spanish go to shop and eat.. rent per month with water and electric..450 to 500 euro and all year sunshine.. today its 23* nice and warm..
I've been over 8-10 times, love the place. Its the type of place where you can live as cheaply or expensively as your taste or budget dictate. I was seriously ill and my recovery has been long and slow but if all goes well I'd like to live out there for half the year in a rented apartment or maybe a bungalow. PM me if you have any letting agent details.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:14 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tex_ritter
I've been over 8-10 times, love the place. Its the type of place where you can live as cheaply or expensively as your taste or budget dictate. I was seriously ill and my recovery has been long and slow but if all goes well I'd like to live out there for half the year in a rented apartment or maybe a bungalow. PM me if you have any letting agent details.
The secret is to come on a weeks holiday and see all the empty places ..then rent one you like from the owner...or just Google... apartments to rent Playa del Ingles.. Gran Ganaria..
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

louisephillips is an unknown quantity at this point

well thanks to everyone,it all seems negative though,has anyone got anything positive to say because if not it sounds like a no no
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:31 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Add up your monthly overheads - rent, electricity, autonomo, water, basura, ice, car costs, anything else you can think of. multiply it by 2.5 - that is the turnover you need to achieve to survive (not make money). How many tubos do you need to sell per day to achieve that? And ask to see the utility bills - they will amaze you.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:43 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisephillips
well thanks to everyone,it all seems negative though,has anyone got anything positive to say because if not it sounds like a no no
When buying a bar or such, a few tips would be to pass lots of time in there as an observer, watching the customers, what are the key times of business, what are they eating/drinking.

Get as much info as possible, as to if they are singles, twos, bigger groups ie familes. Although it seems irrelevant, it could give you and insight into how things could be changed and improved if you decide to buy.

Seating for singles and twos, is not the same for a place catering mainly for families, as more smaller units will be needed so as not to tie up all the tables that accommodate 4 people, with a single diner for example.

What type of food is served, what is the average spend of the customers, if you know all this then you will not have any surprises when opening the doors to trade.

Ask if you can "work" and have access to all areas, for a few weeks, if the place claims to sell lots of meals, take a look at the gas/electric bills, small bills usually show that they are not selling many meals.

If it is a coffee bar that claims to sell loads of coffee, look at the machine, if it is old usually that shows, that they are not very high up in the pecking order for a new or newish machine from the coffee company who supply them.
It means they are not buying much coffee, so cannot be selling much either.

Look at the orders that are being delivered, look at the sell by date on the fruit juices or more exotic drinks on the shelves, if they are old, it shows that they are not selling and when negociating the stock price it gives you something to haggle with.

Look at the kitchen equipment, if they claim to make so many meals/roasts/breakfasts, a day, look at the size of the ovens/fryers/fridge space etc.

Look in the toilets, in lots of cases, if they have small domestic toilet rolls form LIDL or such, it usually does not bode well, one would ecpect to see they larger rolls in an industrial holder.

Look at the hand drying facilities, if the hot air hand drier is unplugged or broken, that is a bad omen.

Dont believe a word they tell you, check for yourself, the more the better.

all this aside from the paperwork, of course, staff levels, there should be records of contracts going back, see if there is more or less staff, look to see if they work more or less hours

I could go on and on

Last edited by JLFS; Jan 10th 2012 at 5:45 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:04 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

That is good advice.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

yes i agree good post jiminato and jlfs some good advice and some we have already asked ,as for the figures we have done the x2.5 and it only fails in feb and march as sugguested,can i ask did you do that when you purchased your bar ? or have you learnt your lessons along the way?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:59 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Well sorry. Unfortunately we had mpre than our fair share of hospital and doctor visits and each time and every place, including the Xanit (private) asked for them and took photocopies of them, In fact the surgeries in both Alhaurin de la torre and in Torrequebrada wouldnt let us join without them, I didnt question the reasons why, but could it be that my husband worked in the UK and paid NI there???

Jo xxx
So you don`t have Andalucian Tarjeta Sanitaria that covers you ?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

?????????? explain further please
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:06 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

yes i agree good post jiminato and jlfs some good advice and some we have already asked ,as for the figures we have done the x2.5 and it only fails in feb and march as sugguested,can i ask did you do that when you purchased your bar ? or have you learnt your lessons along the way?
I dont have a bar, never had one and dont want one........And the 2.5 figure does not work out across the board.

It depends more on what you are selling and in what proportion of the take is in food, drink.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:27 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
So you don`t have Andalucian Tarjeta Sanitaria that covers you ?
I dont think so, no one asked for that either???! Just our EHICs. I had a social security number, altho I didnt have that initially and at the time of our last injury (my son broke his arm at school which was covered by their insurance), we used the Xanit - for which they wanted to see and photocopy his passport and............ his EHIC!!!.

Jo xxxx
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

?????????? explain further please
The post was for Jo.

It is a card that is issued by the Spanish Social Security to allow you to sign on at a doctors and get medical cover.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

i realise now sorry
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I dont think so, no one asked for that either???! Just our EHICs. I had a social security number, altho I didnt have that initially and at the time of our last injury (my son broke his arm at school which was covered by their insurance), we used the Xanit - for which they wanted to see and photocopy his passport and............ his EHIC!!!.

Jo xxxx
Ah that is why they wanted the EHIC then, but I would of thought the UK would of given you the forms to take to SS and get a card simular to us pensioners.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:38 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Ah that is why they wanted the EHIC then, but I would of thought the UK would of given you the forms to take to SS and get a card simular to us pensioners.
Oh, well they didnt and it didnt matter

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.