Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Old Oct 29th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Originally Posted by Mama_Carol
I bought my Kindle in Tesco when I was in UK in May.

If I lived in UK with access to a good library I would probably not bother with a Kindle but living in Spain it is wonderful. Instead of being limited to reading English books found in charity shops etc I now have access to almost anything I want to read.
I used to think that and looked at buying a kindle but have no UK address or account to use so would have to get one through the Amazon.com site. However now that Amazon deliver free to Spain on orders over £25 I have just kept on buying books from them. They are cheaper than the kindle versions, get here in about 3 days and as someone else pointed out - can always be passed on to others. (although as an aside I have never seen a charity shop here in Girona Province)
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I bought mine from Amazon.co.uk used a delivery address in the UK but paid for it with my Spanish bank card. I use it all the time.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your helpful information, special thanks to Mitzy and Rosemary for extra info in PMs.

I'll be going to the UK shortly for a visit so I'll order a Kindle and have it delivered to our sons address.
As it's for my husbands use I'll get the 3G version, that way he can download books direct without having to ask me to do it for him on the PC....he's a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to computers!
Old Oct 29th 2011, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

Originally Posted by megmet
Thanks all for your helpful information, special thanks to Mitzy and Rosemary for extra info in PMs.

As it's for my husbands use I'll get the 3G version, that way he can download books direct without having to ask me to do it for him on the PC....
He can download direct using wifi on the kindle, if you have a wifi router in your house, you do not need to use a computer. No need for the extra cost of 3G!
Old Oct 29th 2011, 7:50 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, 3G isnt really worth the extra cost unless you are travelling a lot
Old Oct 29th 2011, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by searcher48
He can download direct using wifi on the kindle, if you have a wifi router in your house, you do not need to use a computer. No need for the extra cost of 3G!
No I don't have a wifi router... and even our mobile phones only just work in the house and then only in certain parts of it!

I'd rather pay the extra and have it work, I'm not sure the less expensive one would. ???
Old Oct 30th 2011, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

If you have problems with mobile phones you have to ask would the 3G work at your house or would you then have to travel to use it ?

With the cheaper one you can download from your computer.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Mama_Carol is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought the 3G because I travel a lot and like to be able to get more books while I am away.

Not only can you download your books you can also pick up your emails. Although, I wouldn't recommend typing much of an email as the keys are very small.

I don't know how much cheaper the version without 3G is but if you can I would say get the 3G one.

Also, I would recommend getting the case with the light. You can then read without turning on the light and disturbing others.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I bought the 3G because I travel a lot and like to be able to get more books while I am away.

Not only can you download your books you can also pick up your emails. Although, I wouldn't recommend typing much of an email as the keys are very small.

I don't know how much cheaper the version without 3G is but if you can I would say get the 3G one.

Also, I would recommend getting the case with the light. You can then read without turning on the light and disturbing others.
You can do that with the cheaper one too if you have Wi-Fi. Re having the light I didn´t bother as I don´t tend to read late at night.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Mama_Carol is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends if you have constant (and free) access to WiFi. I am often in situations where there is no internet connection.

The point I was making is that if you are, or could be, in a similar situation it is worth spending the extra money.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:38 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Don´t forget the other problem downloading hundreds of books, it is so easy to become carried away with free ones but it does fill up your Kindle index so it becomes easier to keep them on the computer and transfer them as and when. When it is possible to download 3000+ books in one go it becomes more manageable.

Graham
Old Oct 30th 2011, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Originally Posted by megmet
No I don't have a wifi router... and even our mobile phones only just work in the house and then only in certain parts of it!

I'd rather pay the extra and have it work, I'm not sure the less expensive one would. ???
If you have trouble with mobiles are you sure hat you cant get 3G?
Old Oct 30th 2011, 3:45 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Sunday Times today had an article where they were claiming the Kindle gets heavier the more books you put on it. So the exercise of lifting weights may be an unrealised benefit.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by John & Kath
If you have trouble with mobiles are you sure hat you cant get 3G?
It wouldn't be a problem, we could do just as we do with the mobil....we go out onto the terrace.
It's just these thick walls in our old house that seem to be the problem, outside works just fine.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

It depends if you have constant (and free) access to WiFi. I am often in situations where there is no internet connection.

The point I was making is that if you are, or could be, in a similar situation it is worth spending the extra money.
I don't think there is much wifi around here, I certainly don't know anyone who has it, apart from down on the coast which is an hours drive away from us!
I'm going to order the 3G....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.