Reload this Page >

Buying Indian Restaurant?

Buying Indian Restaurant?

Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

godfather3886 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying Indian Restaurant?

Hi guys

I've really wanted to relocate out to Spain for ages,the Costa del Sol to be more precise.

I have'nt got many qualifications,so getting a job is out of the question.
So the plan I've come up with is buy an existing business.

I really want to buy an Indian restaurant,because I'm asian,so understanding curry's comes naturally and I just like the lifestyle that comes with running a restaurant.

At the moment I just want to keep the cash in my pocket,and let the recession knock down prices on everything.

I suppose what I really want to know is can it provide me with enough income to sustain me and my gorgeous wife?m not interested in the Jetset life,but I just want life to be a little bit more sunny and simple.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:14 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Indian Restaurant?

Hi

If you're wise then you will wait for all these businesses to go bankrupt / close down at the end of the lease. There are many restaurants that are not taking sufficient money to cover their overheads, let alone turn a profit.
Times is hard everywhere, and I would rspectfully suggest, better the devil you know.
Stay put until you can see a light at the end of the tunnel

Davexf
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

This topic has been discussed before and there are some ideas here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578401

I wouldn't recommend jumping straight in. Test the market first.

And Costa Del Sol is a tough market, specially around Marbella and Puerto Banus, if that is what you are thinking. In the marina in Puerto Banus alone there are two Indian restaurants, one at either end.

If you can provide something different, like authentic home cooked style food, then you might have a chance.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

"I just like the lifestyle that comes with running a restaurant"....errr...you're new to this, aren't you? How much experience do you have in the business? How good is you Spanish? Most "ethnic" type restaurants survive because they are family owned and run...that is, all the family is involved. This keeps the cost down. Look, most expat bars find the going tough, and there's usually just a husband and soon to be ex-wife. But adding in all the stress that comes with running a restaurant, well, either your gorgeous wife will be less and less so after spending days in the kitchen, or she's remain gorgeous in the arms of another (less stressed) man!
(SNIP) So the answer is "NO".

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Mar 1st 2009 at 12:42 pm. Reason: comment removed
Old Mar 1st 2009, 2:47 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

The two Indian restaurants close to me have both recently closed down much to my horror!!!! I dont know how you would find out about buying or leasing them. One was in Plaza Mayor and the other was in Alhhaurin de la Torre. You need to know why they both closed down though!?? The one thing I did notice sadly, is that they were much more expensive than Indian restaurants I used to go to in the UK

Jo x
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We went to one last night in Pego. It cost €78 for four including wine and beer. I noticed about 3 other parties in there (7,30 to 9.30) and apart from that it was quiet. They were all Brits by the way.

I never realised there were so many Brits in Pego!
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Of course there are ... many of them live in Monte Pego which doesn't have an Indian Restaurant... although they do serve something called 'curry' at the Bellavista Hotel!
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

We went to one last night in Pego. It cost €78 for four including wine and beer. I noticed about 3 other parties in there (7,30 to 9.30) and apart from that it was quiet. They were all Brits by the way.

Well it was on A Place in the Sun once.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:48 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
Well it was on A Place in the Sun once.
I know where that house is
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:57 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

If you're wise then you will wait for all these businesses to go bankrupt / close down at the end of the lease. There are many restaurants that are not taking sufficient money to cover their overheads, let alone turn a profit.
Times is hard everywhere, and I would rspectfully suggest, better the devil you know.

Davexf
I have tried to figure out what this means you know!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

There are quite a few in nearby Adsubia, on the Urbs.

Last edited by Justlookin; Mar 3rd 2009 at 9:08 am. Reason: missed earlier post
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by godfather3886
Hi guys

I've really wanted to relocate out to Spain for ages,the Costa del Sol to be more precise.

I have'nt got many qualifications,so getting a job is out of the question.
So the plan I've come up with is buy an existing business.

I really want to buy an Indian restaurant,because I'm asian,so understanding curry's comes naturally and I just like the lifestyle that comes with running a restaurant.

At the moment I just want to keep the cash in my pocket,and let the recession knock down prices on everything.

I suppose what I really want to know is can it provide me with enough income to sustain me and my gorgeous wife?m not interested in the Jetset life,but I just want life to be a little bit more sunny and simple.
Please come and open your restaurant in Sayalonga or even Competa. We have a great Thai nearby and an Indian restaurant would be the icing on the moving to Spain cake.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

hitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Davexf
Surely that is a very unwise thing to do...Perhaps these businesses go bust because there is no demand in this time of economic doom and gloom! And also as sure is that if the lease came up and the owners were making a good profit they would renew it!
With so many restaurants of every ethnicity, competition is tough and I just dont think it prudent to invest in your dream. I know too many people that have had some of the most succesful restaurants in their areas, see their business slip away and end up selling up while they still can. Especially as they can then use the crap exchange rate and shift their cash back to the Uk in hope of the rate moving up so they can shift it back again, its a huge gamble, but less than that of opening a restaurant from scratch over there...not to mention all the permits you'd need and the red tape youd have to try to get through....best of luck at any rate...