Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a holiday house

Buying a holiday house

Old Apr 4th 2019, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

molly1664 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a holiday house

We are planning a trip over to look at properties with a view to buying a holiday home. Can anyone pass on any experience in how to avoid the pitfalls of buying and dealing with the estate agents?

How much and what reaserch can be done before our trip. Just trying to avoid the horror stories I’ve read about unscrupulous agents and illegal properties.

many thanks
Old Apr 4th 2019, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a holiday house

1. Trawl through this forum and others and digest as much information as you can.
2. In whatever area you wish to buy, rent accommodation there in the off season (for no less than 5 weeks if possible).
3. Believe me you will discover (a) If Spain is for you (b) the location is right.
4. OK! You've found your location. You want to discover what area in that location is best for you. Talk, listen, enquire, walk, think.
5. You're goin' well. You've decided on a specific property; hire a gestor (solicitor) to act for you only. Don't skimp using the Vendor's or real estate agent's solicitor. You've been warned! R E P E A T You've been warned!
6. Don't sell your property in the UK. Always leave room for a dignified retreat if necessary.
7. You can finance all your rental investigations by renting out your home in the UK and your pocket will be the better for it.
8. Don't believe everything you hear and don't assume anything. That railway line nearing completion might not be opened for another 5 years. That waterpark might never be started, never mind finished.
9. Enough English speaking people have screwed up; don't let you be one.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the sound advice Leper, any recommendations regarding solicitors?

Old Apr 5th 2019, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Before you can buy a property,Molly, you will need to get a NIE number.I have a British buyer for a property I own who ,at present,cannot get an appointment as the system in Alicante just now is overwhelmed.Too many folks wanting to get a residents card that maybe were "under the radar".
Old Apr 5th 2019, 11:17 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
Before you can buy a property,Molly, you will need to get a NIE number.I have a British buyer for a property I own who ,at present,cannot get an appointment as the system in Alicante just now is overwhelmed.Too many folks wanting to get a residents card that maybe were "under the radar".
Why don't you suggest they get one at the consulate in England (or maybe you have already)?
Old Apr 5th 2019, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for this guys we are not in the UK but have just checked our Spanish embassy and the earliest appointment is 15th May so it seems like it’s not just a problem in Spain. We have not yet booked flights to come over so it maybe that we hold off for a few more weeks to ensure that we have obtained our NIE!
Old Apr 5th 2019, 1:44 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molly1664
Thanks for this guys we are not in the UK but have just checked our Spanish embassy and the earliest appointment is 15th May so it seems like it’s not just a problem in Spain. We have not yet booked flights to come over so it maybe that we hold off for a few more weeks to ensure that we have obtained our NIE!
Are you sure you asked the correct place - it's the consulate NOT the embassy.
Old Apr 6th 2019, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

I’m pretty sure it was the right site as it would allow me to book appointment specifically to get NIC number, just that the earliest one was 15th May!
Old Apr 7th 2019, 5:44 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molly1664
I’m pretty sure it was the right site as it would allow me to book appointment specifically to get NIC number, just that the earliest one was 15th May!
Don't panic, why rush?
Why do you need to buy a house before 15th May?
Old Apr 7th 2019, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Get your NIE number appointment if you are serious about buying.The date may be cancelled anyway as the authorities have no clue about what is happening regarding Brexit which is why there is such a delay.My buyers are still waiting since late march for a confirmation yet have their finances in place ..
Old Apr 8th 2019, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys