Buying a goat

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 10:17 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a goat

Does anyone know how much a goat would cost. No I have not gone loopy (always have been some say) the question is being posed on behalf of Davein spain as he does not have internet access at the moment.

Rosemary
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 10:23 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a goat

He should ask a Cabrero (goatherd) local to where he lives
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Does anyone know how much a goat would cost. No I have not gone loopy (always have been some say) the question is being posed on behalf of Davein spain as he does not have internet access at the moment.

Rosemary
I'd guess a female would be anything between €40-90 at a guess. A billy, not sure. Bear in mind that one on its own might be 'lonely'. Two of a kind would be better.
Also, as you are probably aware, they'll eat almost anything within reach & higher than what sheep can. Fencing needs to be very good or they'll strip bare shrubs, young trees, etc.
For starters, try asking at a local 'cooperativa' where they sell agricultural equipment.
Hope that helps.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 1:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info I am sure that he will find it very useful, especially as I do not hink he has any experience with them.

Rosemary
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:02 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

it has been a running joke in our house because the BH said she wanted a house with some land so she could keep a few goats (along with this old one)

so how much land is really needed for a couple of goats ??
how much do they cost to keep ??
and on what ??
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
it has been a running joke in our house because the BH said she wanted a house with some land so she could keep a few goats (along with this old one)

so how much land is really needed for a couple of goats ??
how much do they cost to keep ??
and on what ??
In UK conditions where grass is plentiful, the average stocking rate, as it's known as, for sheep is around 5 per acre. That's over a year, including making hay/silage for their winter keep.
Goats are much the same size, but eat more 'shrubbery' than do sheep.
I'd reckon for 2 goats you'd need about 2-4 acres of land that is drier & less productive. Doubtless you could make it work with less.
You'll need to spend on good fencing; electric is OK provided the current is always good; plugging into the mains is best via a transformer that may cost you €100. Permanent post & wire fencing is best long term.
They'll also need to be provided with water.

If you buy females at least you then have the option of them rearing kids, provided you can get them pregnant. Sheep AI is practised a lot in Spain, but with only a 55% success rate.

Not exactly sure as to what they're likely to cost, but you could roughly work it out.
As with all animals, they'd need checking daily.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 10:05 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
In UK conditions where grass is plentiful, the average stocking rate, as it's known as, for sheep is around 5 per acre. That's over a year, including making hay/silage for their winter keep.
I'd reckon for 2 goats you'd need about 2-4 acres of land that is drier & less productive. Doubtless you could make it work with less.
You'll need to spend on good fencing; electric is OK provided the current is always good; plugging into the mains is best via a transformer that may cost you €100. Permanent post & wire fencing is best long term.

If you buy females at least you then have the option of them rearing kids, provided you can get them pregnant. Sheep AI is practised a lot in Spain, but with only a 55% success rate.

Not exactly sure as to what they're likely to cost, but you could roughly work it out.
You make some very good points there, especially with regard to the fencing.
Goats are exceptionally agile creatures and unless the OP doesn't mind being an outcast in his own neighbourhood, much attention is required to doing a very safe and sound job in this respect.
Should they escape even for one brief occasion theres no telling what they might get up to, from wrecking a newly planted garden to helping themselves to some clothes from the neighbours washing line.
It may be an idea to start off with a couple of fairly mature ones which may be slightly less inclined to wreak havoc, probably easier to handle and should save a few euros, providing of course they're not too old and ready for the knackers yard.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:23 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi

am I allowed to draw the line at that point
after all I might be an expat but.................
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

My advice. Don't.

Loads of reasons but just one. Goats ate Africa.

No wait, had a change of heart. I love matured goat's cheese. One of lifes' luxuries. Buy a small herd and I will buy your cheese. (don't forget to milk them twice a day 365 a year)
Old Jul 8th 2013, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Rosemary
Thanks for posting the question Rosemary Asking locally the price looks around 30 euros for a young female.The local herder I'm sure will have a guiri price at the ready.food shouldn't be a problem as we are in the middle of a 16,000 hectare national park.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 5:37 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
Thanks for posting the question Rosemary Asking locally the price looks around 30 euros for a young female.The local herder I'm sure will have a guiri price at the ready.food shouldn't be a problem as we are in the middle of a 16,000 hectare national park.
Bloody hell, so it's goodbye to the 16,000 acre National Park then.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Bloody hell, so it's goodbye to the 16,000 acre National Park then.
Give it a week or two
Old Jul 8th 2013, 5:46 pm
On the road again.

" Little Norah McCarthy the knot was going to tie,
She washed all her trousseau and hung it out to dry.
Then up came the goat and he saw the bits of white:
He chewed up all her falderals, and on her wedding night:

"Oh turn out the gas quick!" she shouted out to Pat,
For though l'm your bride, sure l'm not worth looking at.
I'd got two of ev'rything, I told you when I wrote,
But now I've one of nothing, all thro' Paddy McGinty's goat.'

Mickey Riley he went to the races t'other day.
He won twenty dollars and shouted, "Hip Hooray!!"
He held up the note, shouting "Look what I've got!"
The goat came up and grabbed at it and swallowed all the lot.

"He's eaten my banknote," said Mickey, with the hump.
They ran for the doctor, he brought a stomach pump.
He pumped and he pumped for that twenty dollar note,
But all he got was ninepence out of Paddy McGinty's goat.

Now old Paddy's Goat had a wonderous appetite,
and one day for breakfast he ate some dynamite.
A whole box of matches he swallowed all serene
and then he went and gobbled up a quart of paraffin.

He sat by the fireside, he didn't give a hang,
swallowed a spark and exploded and exploded with a bang.
SO if you go to heaven you can bet a dollar note....
that the Angel with the whiskers on is Paddy McGinty's Goat. "