Reload this Page >

Buying a dog in Spain

Buying a dog in Spain

Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Kayak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a dog in Spain

Hi,

We are thinking about buying a dog in Spain. We have seen dogs in pet shops but i'm not sure this is the right way to go. Does any one have any tips or experience on where to find a good breeder? Ideally I'd like to see where they are born etc and make sure it's not a cruel dog farm!

Thanks for any info...

Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:11 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a dog in Spain

OK, speaking personally, I would never be happy doing that. My preference would always be to get a puppy from someone where I could meet the parents to see if they had a good temperament.

Alternatively, visit the places where abandoned dogs are taken and see if you feel like giving one of them a break. It can be very rewarding.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
OK, speaking personally, I would never be happy doing that. My preference would always be to get a puppy from someone where I could meet the parents to see if they had a good temperament.

Alternatively, visit the places where abandoned dogs are taken and see if you feel like giving one of them a break. It can be very rewarding.

Yes absolutely, with emphasis on para 2. There is such a problem with unwanted dogs please at least consider this option.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:12 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend going to a charitable organisation like PEPA and seeing what dogs they have requiring adoption.

Please don't add fuel to the fire by encouraging dog breeders unless you specifically want/need a thorough-bred.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

There is no need to go to any pet shop to get a dog as this just feeds the pupy farms that feed the pet shops. Visit your local rescue centre or have a look on web sites like www.ace.charity.org , http://anbad.wordpress.com www.pepisdogrefuge.com. I know the websites are not on your doorstep but if you ring them they maybe able to tell you where your local one is or if there is a dog that pulls your heart strings you may be able to come to an arrangement.

Many of them have puppies or very young dogs looking for a forever homes as well as older dogs that for no reason other than no longer being wanted find themselves there.

By buying a dog even from someone who comes across as a reputable breeder it still encourages them to continue using these poor dogs as baby machines and when they get to about 7 they are put into a killing station and a new dog takes her place, the puppies that remain unsold are also dumped at killing stations as they are not worth spending the money on.

Take the time to go round a killing station and see the reality of animal exploitation here before even with best intention you purchase a dog, so many will be grateful to be given a second chance and for a puppy it is just any chance.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kayak
Hi,

We are thinking about buying a dog in Spain. We have seen dogs in pet shops but i'm not sure this is the right way to go. Does any one have any tips or experience on where to find a good breeder? Ideally I'd like to see where they are born etc and make sure it's not a cruel dog farm!

Thanks for any info...

Visit your local rescue center an make an adoption. If you don't know where it is then just visit any veterinary clinic and ask, they will be pleased to give you the information you need.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

www.segundamano.es
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:04 pm
Banned

naladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant future

I would really urge you not to buy a puppy in Spain, a lot of the dogs you see in pet shops are from puppy farms and the mother abandoned when she has popped out her limit.

If you look on

http://www.spanimal.org/

There is loads of puppies that desperately need a home and are all victims in a way of too many pups being bred here in Spain.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies. I don't think buying from a petshop is the right way to go...

The links are good for the rescue homes and I will certainly look into that option. I do have two small children small children so a puppy would be ideal to grow up with them.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:25 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kayak
Thanks for all the replies. I don't think buying from a petshop is the right way to go...

The links are good for the rescue homes and I will certainly look into that option. I do have two small children small children so a puppy would be ideal to grow up with them.
When we lived in Spain we aorked for PEPA, and they very often have puppies as many pregnant female dogs are just abandoned, or the puppies are once born, most of the other animal charities will have them as well. Just look in your local English language paper. As you havent put where you are it is a little difficult to point you in the right direction as most of the charities are local.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks mikelincs,

Never even considered that there could be unwanted pregnant dogs.

I'm in Alicante at the moment.

Costa Blanca news has been bought!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

Hi, I have a friend who rescues dogs, she has adults and puppies at the moment, she also work via PEPA sometimes, I can pass her number on if you wish, via PM, she in Bocairent, which is an hour from Alicante
Old Jul 15th 2011, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

You don't say exactly where in Alicante but there is a Torrevieja.co.uk website that has a pets section, there are always puppies found and waiting for adoption, some little beauties of late too check it out
Old Jul 15th 2011, 10:44 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Although I agree with what has been said about rescue dogs, if you want to buy a pedigree then you can normally buy direct from the breeder, and visit his premises before you do. The local vets can give you local information and most breeders will have a web site.

With a reputable breeder, you will receive a healthy puppy with all the paper work in place.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 11:00 am
Banned

naladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HBG
Although I agree with what has been said about rescue dogs, if you want to buy a pedigree then you can normally buy direct from the breeder, and visit his premises before you do. The local vets can give you local information and most breeders will have a web site.

With a reputable breeder, you will receive a healthy puppy with all the paper work in place.
That is a BIG !! claim " a healthy puppy " if you go to the trouble of ensuring that the breeders have done all the hip, eye , etc etc . tests you can still not ensure a healthy puppy. A lot of Spanish do not know that much about responsible breeding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.