Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Spain?

Buying a car in Spain?

Old Apr 11th 2021, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Owls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car in Spain?

Quick question please, UK resident and citizen looking to buy a property in Spain and fully aware of 90/180, but was thinking of buying a car in Spain instead of driving down every 3 months. Aware I can buy one easy enough (do have NIE numbers) but my concern is can I get insurance in Spain with a UK licence??
Cheers
Old Apr 11th 2021, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in Spain?

Most insurers will ask for the following as a minimum requirement:
https://www.expatica.com/es/finance/...-spain-126753/

But it might be worth looking at rental deals before you take on buying costs, tax, insurance and maintenance costs etc. or even a lease deal.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Thank you Rico just the answer I was looking for, hopefully I can tick every box.
Not really considered rental as just thought for 3 months the costs would be prohibitive to do on a regular basis, but will look into it.
Is there any insurance company you would recommend, buying in the Malaga province.
Cheers
Old Apr 11th 2021, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I have never rented (FT resident here) but some 'swallows' I know said they were renting for very low rates (but OK not 90 days) and another friend of mine (resident) now does a leasing deal with his bank. So I think it's worth you doing more research before buying.

Malaga, not my beat - suggest you try an online comparison site or a good local broker.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 10:23 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owls
Thank you Rico just the answer I was looking for, hopefully I can tick every box.
Not really considered rental as just thought for 3 months the costs would be prohibitive to do on a regular basis, but will look into it.
Is there any insurance company you would recommend, buying in the Malaga province.
Cheers
Salt Bay Insurance Brokers are very good. They will spend time talking to you to assess your needs and then find the best solution for you.

Rosemary
Old Apr 11th 2021, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Thank you Rico & Rosemary both extremely helpful.
Very much appreciated
Old Apr 11th 2021, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago now so pre brexit but I did just what you want to do but a motorcycle not car. I used Línea Direct and explained I had house etc in Spain but being non resident an English licence. It wasn't an issue. Brexit.may change that but I suggest ringing them they have English speaking advisors. Worth a phone call to get full answer.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Just looked and doyouspain have a fiat panda in september for 90 days for just under €1700. When you factor in repairs, insurance, ITV, parking at the airport (or taxi to your car at home), depreciation and hassle i'd opt for hiring. Also, i reckon if you hired for two week periods it would be half that price.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Freddy,
Really appreciate your thought and 'looking', I'll have a good hunt round and cost up. My thought is at the moment to buy a LHD vehicle in UK for about £5-10k as cheaper than buying in Spain, load it with 'personal' stuff, drive to Spain and leave it there then fly back. That would then do us for a few years just to knock around in, wouldn't worry if it got bumped/scratched etc, I know most cars in Spain have bumps and scratches on them and I'd be worried about same for a long term rental lol.
More than happy if you tell me I'm wrong, I can take it!!
Old Apr 11th 2021, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Most insurers will ask for the following as a minimum requirement:https://www.expatica.com/es/finance/...-spain-126753/

But it might be worth looking at rental deals before you take on buying costs, tax, insurance and maintenance costs etc. or even a lease deal.

Linea Directa don't ask for a copy of your licence. And to be honest neither should car dealers etc !. Its not a condition of owning a car....

The person buying the vehicle MAY not be the driver and MAY not even hold a licence. (think company cars here) And the last 2 cars I drove in the Uk were owned by my son (and he can't drive and does not even hold a provisional licence ).

Anyone can own a car, and with respect to the insurance here in Spain, its the car that has the insurance not the driver (I suppose if you have a crash and the driver has no licence then they have a get out clause)

I'm insured on my own car here (no licence asked for by either the seller or Linda Directa) And when I swapped my Uk for a Spanish one I phoned them and they didn't want to know. See above (its the car, not the driver was the answer)

I'm also insured on both my FIL and his partners cars (2 of them) Named but no driving licence given (they asked if I had one though).

You do need an NIE and Spanish address of course.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 2:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Mapfre and Linea Directa are ones I have used in Spain, no problems with either of them. I used Mapfre for my house insurance, needed to make a claim, they sent assessor, money was in my bank the next day, no quibbles at all.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Mike and Barrie appreciate both your thoughts and information, everyone has been fab thank you so much, given me real food for thought, even over the Home Insurance, I also say never know how good a company is until you need to make a claim, that goes for any insurer.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Thanks Freddy,
Really appreciate your thought and 'looking', I'll have a good hunt round and cost up. My thought is at the moment to buy a LHD vehicle in UK for about £5-10k as cheaper than buying in Spain, load it with 'personal' stuff, drive to Spain and leave it there then fly back. That would then do us for a few years just to knock around in, wouldn't worry if it got bumped/scratched etc, I know most cars in Spain have bumps and scratches on them and I'd be worried about same for a long term rental lol.
Even if it is LHD it will still have to be re registered (if on UK or another country's plates) in spain and that is both costly and bureaucratic. Last time i looked i was quoted 1,000€ but that was some time ago.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Freddy,
You might get questioned if you haven't owned the car for at least 6 months when you bring it over. You may also get a big customs bill as well.

If you are going to move stuff to a holiday home you will face lots of charges on your goods, customs, import etc.

There are a few Uk companies that sell LHD Spanish reg cars (although you need to ensure you have all the paperwork from the previous owner and the ITV is in date)
Buying a secondhand car from a private source is not the same here as in the Uk. You can't just rock up and pay and sign the old V5 and drive away.

Do you also have a UK driving licence? If so you can only use it as a tourist. Once you become resident you will have to take a Spanish driving test.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Despite all our attempts last year due to last minute ill health and the insurers not accepting pre existing conditions, we will now unfortunately be Spanish property owning 'tourists' 90/180 and therefore only have a UK driving licence.
We'd only be bringing odds and sodds over and note your thoughts over the term of buying a car in the UK.
Thanks Barrie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.