Reload this Page >

Buying a car, non resident

Buying a car, non resident

Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

z0s0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car, non resident

Hi,

A friend and I are planning on buying a (fairly crappy, old-ish) car to participate in the Mongol Rally this year. Having spent quite a bit of time in Barcelona - and having a number of local friends there who can help out with logistics - we're considering doing this in Barcelona instead of London.

Is this possible & legal or semi legal? The car will depart Spain shortly after purchase, and will not return (it will be donated to a charity in Mongolia at the end of the rally).

I'm not resident in Spain, although I do have an NIE if that helps.

Neither of us have EU drivers' licenses, but obviously do have International Permits to go along with our Australian licenses. As an aside, I know that it is legal to drive for your first 6 months as Spanish resident on said license + permit.

We don't intend to become residents (although we theoretically could if needed; both having UK passports)

As for the process, do I simply need to ensure the car has a current ITV and get the paperwork done?

In a general sense, it seems to me given that we have the legal right to reside in Spain (with said UK passports), we should be able to legally purchase a car.

Practically, would the insurance (specifically the tarjeta verde for non EU countries) prove likely to be a problem for us?

Would the process be much different in the UK? Yes I am aware that the car would likely be cheaper in UK, but that's not really the issue for us here.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
Old Mar 12th 2014, 8:11 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car, non resident

It would be far easier to ask one of you "local friends" to purchase, register and insure the car on your behalf. Spanish insurance covers any driver over 26 anywhere in the EU. You would need to extend cover for non EU countries.

Only concern I would have is how does one declare car has been exported? Otherwise the owner is still liable for annual car tax.

Good luck with your adventure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VwacRktz2c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x52XV7mHnY4

Last edited by missile; Mar 12th 2014 at 8:29 am.