Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a car but no address

Buying a car but no address

Old May 11th 2022, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car but no address

I am moving to Marbella for a new job in the summer. I will be living temporarily in a UK registered camper van for a few months on a camp site. Is it possible to buy a car if you have no permanent address in Spain? I am guessing it makes life more difficult. Thanks
Old May 11th 2022, 5:36 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car but no address

Never mind buying a car, if you don't have an address which you can add to a padron you'll find it difficult to get residency, and it's a pre-requisite to have residency before buying a car for non-EU citizens.
Old May 11th 2022, 5:37 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TandD2017
I am moving to Marbella for a new job in the summer. I will be living temporarily in a UK registered camper van for a few months on a camp site. Is it possible to buy a car if you have no permanent address in Spain? I am guessing it makes life more difficult. Thanks
It is actually impossible to register the vehicle as you need to notify the town hall so that they can issue you with car/road tax (IVTM). In Spain, each town collects vehicle tax - it isn't national.

You might be able to use the camp site office (although I doubt it) or perhaps a lawyers address (also doubt it).
Old May 11th 2022, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to buy a car this year and failed. To buy a car I needed to be registered at the town hall, to register at the town hall, I needed a 12 month rental contract. Good luck trying to find a 12 month rental contract in Marbella until the peak season is over. It won't happen.

With the town hall registration in place, you can then arrange a visa if you intend to stay longer than 90 days.

I ended up renting from Bipi - but they also needed a visa, which means the town hall registration.

Basically, my advice would be to drive the mystery machine until you get a 12 month rental contract.

Old May 11th 2022, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
Never mind buying a car, if you don't have an address which you can add to a padron you'll find it difficult to get residency, and it's a pre-requisite to have residency before buying a car for non-EU citizens.
This is incorrect. You don't need to be on the padron, or be resident, to buy a Spanish car but you definitely need an address. You need an NIE & proof of address (deeds, rental contract). You'll probably need to engage the services of a gestor to ensure that the "conveyancing" of the car is OK. Buying & owning a car in Spain is different from the UK and is similar to buying a house.
Old May 11th 2022, 9:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer
This is incorrect. You don't need to be on the padron, or be resident, to buy a Spanish car but you definitely need an address. You need an NIE & proof of address (deeds, rental contract). You'll probably need to engage the services of a gestor to ensure that the "conveyancing" of the car is OK. Buying & owning a car in Spain is different from the UK and is similar to buying a house.
It is not incorrect, many dealers will not sell a car without a current padron. So yet again it depends on where in Spain and also depends on the dealer.

Rosemary
Old May 11th 2022, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
It is not incorrect, many dealers will not sell a car without a current padron. So yet again it depends on where in Spain and also depends on the dealer.

Rosemary
Audi wanted a padron. Not a big deal to be fair, once you have the contract the pardon is only a utility bill away. You can get an appointment at the Marbella townhall in about a week.
Old May 12th 2022, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary
Like everything else paperwork related here.
The rules are interpreted differently everywhere you go.
The Padron is on the list of items to buy a car.
It's not required by law, its just the dealer etc being lazy.. Was told this by both companies I dealt with.
So is a utility bill, lease or deeds.
I've purchased 2 cars in the last 2 years and not been asked (first time was as a non resident so legally I can't have the padron)
If somewhere won't sell you a car without seeing the padron, move on there are loads of car dealers.

Old May 12th 2022, 7:57 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary
Actually, strictly speaking (following the law), a padron is NOT obligatory. All you need is proof of an address.

Many dealers etc. will ask for the padron as (1) they don't come across many non-residents registering a vehicle and (2) it's easier for them.

The DGT web site is clear, you just need some sort of proof of an address - it certainly should NOT vary by area as the law is national
Old May 12th 2022, 8:51 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Actually, strictly speaking (following the law), a padron is NOT obligatory. All you need is proof of an address.

Many dealers etc. will ask for the padron as (1) they don't come across many non-residents registering a vehicle and (2) it's easier for them.

The DGT web site is clear, you just need some sort of proof of an address - it certainly should NOT vary by area as the law is national
Totally agree with you. However, the law is one thing but the reality of various aspects of life here in Spain is different. Nothing is black and white and clear as crystal and rarely straightforward as the rules and laws are interpreted by individuals not robots.

Life in Spain is always interesting due to this. Impossible to sit back and relax and say that everything runs in a certain way because there are always vagaries being reported by various members experiences.

When I bought my new car a few years ago the dealer asked for the padron so I tested him out by giving him my first one from 2006, he started to get a bit flummoxed so I laughed and gave him the new one that I had got from the town hall and then told him that it was not necessary. He told me that it was on his list of ticky boxes. I always err on the side of taking anything and everything with me when dealing with any form of paperwork due to the manner in which they all operate.

Rosemary
Old May 12th 2022, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

KK78 is an unknown quantity at this point

If I own a property in Spain, but am a U.K. resident. Can I not own a car in Spain?

I plan to split my time 60/40 between U.K. and Spain.
Old May 12th 2022, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KK78
If I own a property in Spain, but am a U.K. resident. Can I not own a car in Spain?

I plan to split my time 60/40 between U.K. and Spain.
Non residents can and do own cars in Spain. As has been mentioned in the thread some areas/gestors/garages say you need to be on the padron the law says you need to be able to prove a Spanish address. Non residents shouldn't be on the padron. Utility bills copy of escrutira or rental contract should be sufficient. Worked for me when I bought a vehicle before obtaining residency.
Old May 12th 2022, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

KK78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobd22
Non residents can and do own cars in Spain. As has been mentioned in the thread some areas/gestors/garages say you need to be on the padron the law says you need to be able to prove a Spanish address. Non residents shouldn't be on the padron. Utility bills copy of escrutira or rental contract should be sufficient. Worked for me when I bought a vehicle before obtaining residency.
That is good to know.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the internet regarding things that should be standard for everyone. I’ve got a lot to learn before I go out to buy, including basic Spanish.

I think people are more helpful generally when they see you are making a genuine effort to fit in. Rather than assuming everyone speaks English.
Old May 12th 2022, 4:03 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer
A post of mine from a while ago shows the requirements for buying a car.

Just had my residency turned down

Non-EU citizens have to show a TIE to prove residency and you need to be on the padrón to get a TIE.

It also says if you don't have a residency card you show your passport and any document which proves residence. Make of that what you will.

Last edited by DLC; May 12th 2022 at 4:18 pm.
Old May 14th 2022, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Proof of address is all that's required, dealers will usually want a padron if you are using them to register a car but it's not written in law.

I believe there is a procedure whereby a Spanish resident can swear out a statement that their address is where you stay whilst in Spain but I have no details of it.