Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a bar in Spain

Buying a bar in Spain

Old Aug 20th 2003, 9:15 am
Just Joined

andilady is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Buying a bar in Spain

My boyfriend and I would like to buy a bar/cafe in Spain as soon as possible. Received info on lots available. Can anybody offer any advice available. Do we need permits, visa's, etc etc. Any recommendations for companies to deal with etc, etc. Would accept any info possible.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:36 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but why do you think there are loads for sale ??
Where i live in Benalmedena, apart from a few, most change hands seasonly or even monthly, and it aint cos they made their fortune .
Old Oct 8th 2003, 11:59 am
Just Joined

steveb is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are both British Passport holders you don't need visas. Residence paperwork can be gained within a couple of days although buisness paperwork will be a nightmare. Employ what is called a Gestor who helps will any paperwork, BUT, for ALL LEGAL PAPERWORK employ a very good and trusted solicitor whos knows spanish law.

As was previously mentioned bars can change hands frequently but these are usually the ones that are failing to make much money. The good earning ones are usually passed down through the family.

And finally if you don't speak spanish LEARN IT. If you don't you are likely to get ripped off! This isn't a slur on the spanish people just a general note about buisiness deals when one party doesn't understand what is going on.

If you do go ahead then I wish you all the best. In the words of that famous Peckham Philospher.

"Who Dares Wins"
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Buying a bar in Spain

Originally posted by andilady
My boyfriend and I would like to buy a bar/cafe in Spain as soon as possible. Received info on lots available. Can anybody offer any advice available. Do we need permits, visa's, etc etc. Any recommendations for companies to deal with etc, etc. Would accept any info possible.

Please be very careful trying to do this. My sister-in-law did this a couple of years ago and was really screwed over. They had gone to Spain to look at the place they were thinking of buying (Majorca) and it looked really good. It was making money etc and was in a nice location. They decided to buy it. On moving out to Spain to take possession of the business they found that the previous owner had gutted it. He had taken everything that was not nailed down. They spent a year and a considerable amount of money getting it ready for opening. They had to have it inspected first and when the inspector turned up they were told that the premises were not licensed and had infact never been licensed. They tried to take the guy to court, but of course they were Brits up against the Spanish legal system and they got nowhere. They had to return home penniless. So, beware.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Molly m is an unknown quantity at this point

[You can always try and open a bar the ultra safe way abroad and thats by getting in contact with the breweries in the UK that have pubs abroad or getting in contact with the pub and bar brokers - we did the same and got some really interesting info from Youngs about bars up for grabs in Paris. Also, try the Firkin chains and places like that - they're always looking for people to open bars for them abroad - I know it's not the same as having your own one as its under franchise but its worth doing it for the first few years until you completely understand the system and the market in the country you are based in. Also, if you are doing it on your own, approach the local breweries because they will normally do you a deal - ie - they give you a discount on the amount of beer they reckon you will sell in 5 years - that way you either take the discount off the beer or they give you the cash so you can use it to do the bar up before you open - most people take this option
hope this helps
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of
Default Spanish bar

Steveb-I think in the case of buying a bar in Spain, the correct words are----"Who care's who wins?" Certainly it seemed like that in Mazzaron--bars changed hands as quick as the "girlfriend"of the owners!
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, you didn´t say which part of Spain. The trouble is alot of people go to spain in the summer months and see bars full of tourists and think, hey this is a good way of making some dosh, in the sun etc etc............

In winter............its a lot quieter, and people dont realise its long hours for often very little return. Unless you are going to offer something totally different, to the 1000s (again depending on where you´re going to.....) bars, go and count them in the area you want to go to. If you seriously decide this is the way you want to go and have had experience in this, spend some time observing the cafe/bar etc you want to go to, off season for a few weeks on the trot, to get an idea on volume of people going there. Also question why the person is selling and get local gossip as well, without giving away what you are planning on doing........

Don´t trust anyone as most Brits will see you as a soft target if they think you are new on the block, and of course they will tell you they have a friend who knows.....Beware of Business brokers.....they are usually the worst con merchants....

Do some serious homework before you part with your money, location is very very important and also time of year, spend sometime in the location you wish to buy in, and not just a week......Too many people put their life saving into bars ect and go home disallusioned and often broke.....and finally best of luck and hope it works out to be a positive decision if you go ahead.....

Mercedes.

PS, get a bilingual spanish lawyer who hopefully will be of use to you. This is very important, ask a few Spanish people running bars to recommend one and then some other British to also away from the location you intend to buy in......(dont forget you will be competition to them also!!)

:lecture:
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Jetskigirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Costa Del Sol, is a good area to be careful, I´ve been personally ripped off in this area, and I dont think I´ve yet met anyone who hasn´t especially from expats. Unless you have worked or run a cafe/bar before, I would get some experience before you buy. It might be a an idea to work in a few in your chosen area, to see a) you like it b) you will make some money from it. It will give you more of a realistic insight to any probs before parting with your hard earned cash.

Like one of the other replies seen bars etc come and go like one night stands.....

Lifes an adventure, but the above is my two bobs worth - talking of bars I´m off to one

Jetskigirl

Old Oct 27th 2003, 7:13 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

As andilady has not replied yet, can we assume they have changed their mind and bought 20,000 lottery tickets instead.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Kay Fuller is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen your message about buying a bar in spain. Well i have recently bought a bar through www.fiestaproperty.com.
the service and the honesty was first class, and honesty i cannot fault. i am still involved with fiesta property 2 mnths after i have bought my bar, and i am so pleased with the service. Be warned out there it is a mine field. I can give you referalls of other people that has brought through this company.
Good Luck
Kay
Old Nov 25th 2003, 2:32 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jetskigirl
Costa Del Sol, is a good area to be careful, I´ve been personally ripped off in this area, and I dont think I´ve yet met anyone who hasn´t especially from expats.
Same applies in the Costa Blanca.

Working in one, especially in the long off season months is a great idea, and maybe try your hand at bar management before you invest so you can really see what you're letting yourselves in for.