Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a bar/cafe on east coast of Majorca

Buying a bar/cafe on east coast of Majorca

Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Keithevert is a jewel in the roughKeithevert is a jewel in the roughKeithevert is a jewel in the roughKeithevert is a jewel in the rough
Default Buying a bar/cafe on east coast of Majorca

Looking for advice on a complex issue. My wife and I would like to buy a bar/cafe in Majorca which she will run as I will work in Germany from Monday to Friday.
I will travel next week to Majorca to look at potential opportunities but realize the all inclusive trade is having a big impact on this type of business.
It would really be a lifestyle change and we are fortunate that my other business means we are not reliant on the bar business.
Can I have some recommendations on good areas to look at please, preferably on the east coast near Cala Dor
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a bar/cafe on east coast of Majorca

Best advice.............DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:43 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keithevert
Looking for advice on a complex issue. My wife and I would like to buy a bar/cafe in Majorca which she will run as I will work in Germany from Monday to Friday.
I will travel next week to Majorca to look at potential opportunities but realize the all inclusive trade is having a big impact on this type of business.
It would really be a lifestyle change and we are fortunate that my other business means we are not reliant on the bar business.
Can I have some recommendations on good areas to look at please, preferably on the east coast near Cala Dor
If you are not reliant on the income from a bar in Spain, then why would you consider buying your wife into slavery?

If you are commuting and will be in Spain for the weekends, why not enjoy your free time together?.

Why then would you want to spend your weekends watching your wife work?

Where would your quality of life come into it?

Just my opinion.

Last edited by JLFS; Mar 21st 2012 at 12:47 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Keithevert is a jewel in the roughKeithevert is a jewel in the roughKeithevert is a jewel in the roughKeithevert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JLFS
If you are not reliant on the income from a bar in Spain, then why would you consider buying your wife into slavery?

If you are commuting and will be in Spain for the weekends, why not enjoy your free time together?.

Why then would you want to spend your weekends watching your wife work?

Where would your quality of life come into it?

Just my opinion.
Oops that sounds wrong. My wife want to work and wants to run a bar as we have previous experience. I am lucky enough to earn the money to cover the venture. We are both still young (mid 40's) so do not consider retiring just yet but want to establish a base in Majorca where we love and see this is as a way of doing it. I will be home at weekends and will take part in the running of the bar as well
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:50 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Oops that sounds wrong. My wife want to work and wants to run a bar as we have previous experience. I am lucky enough to earn the money to cover the venture. We are both still young (mid 40's) so do not consider retiring just yet but want to establish a base in Majorca where we love and see this is as a way of doing it. I will be home at weekends and will take part in the running of the bar as well
I stick to my point about quality of life,
you will be working 5 days a week in Germany, then have the flights there and back, and then spend what is left of your 2 free days working in a bar?

Rather you than me.

I too am in my forties, and dont want to retire, but I would not want to work 7 days a week either...

Last edited by JLFS; Mar 21st 2012 at 12:55 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:54 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I stick to my point about quality of life,
you will be working 5 days a week in Germany, then have the flights there and back, and then spend what is left of your 2 free days working in a bar?

Rather you than me.
I agree

I've run bars & restaurants in the past & can't think of anything worse than doing a full time job & then a part time one in a bar

if the OP's wife really wants to work that much why not apply for a job in someone else's bar or restaurant

all the fun, none of the responsibilty & none of the OP's hard earned cash going down the drain
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:58 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on a minute...

We run a bar because we enjoy it and I don't see what's wrong with that. Get someone else to run it for you on weekends. Or close. Some bars only open a few hours a day - it doesn't have to be slavery. Many people would rather be doing something rather than just sitting around. If that something happens to be running a bar so be it.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 1:03 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Hold on a minute...

We run a bar because we enjoy it and I don't see what's wrong with that. Get someone else to run it for you on weekends. Or close. Some bars only open a few hours a day - it doesn't have to be slavery. Many people would rather be doing something rather than just sitting around. If that something happens to be running a bar so be it.
well yeah - but that's you & your bar could well be the exception & it's not reliant on tourist trade, is it?

I guess the OP's wife could do the opening short hours & no weekends - some frinds of mine do exactly that .............. what the OP doesn't want to be doing is losing money though, which is why I suggested working for someone else
Old Mar 21st 2012, 1:06 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

I will move this into the main Spain forum for you to gain more replies.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 21st 2012, 1:23 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Look, if you want to run a bar, and are well aware of the commitment required, then you should do just that. And if your livelihood doesn't depend on it, then all the better.

However, there are some very important considerations.

Upside:
  • Unlike many areas, Tourism is "not shrinking" in Mallorca. It's growing, and the balearic government is working pretty hard to promote increased tourism (although I sometimes question their methods and expectations).
  • We also have the windfall of the "arab spring" which is causing more people to spend their money here, rather than in Turkey, Egypt, etc.
  • Cala d'Or is a popular destination with both Germans and English, the two most prevalent tourist nationalities here.
  • I don't know how much you're planning to invest in this, but your choices could be a lot worse.

Downside:
  • Your business will be limited to May through October, really.
  • Hotels are increasingly moving to all-inclusive, which in some cases has literally destroyed the local economy. Look at Calas de Mallorca, for example. Virtually no business outside the hotels. I doubt this will happen to Cala d'Or in the near future, but as all-in becomes more and more popular and profitable, you may be faced with this at some point.
  • There are currently literally hundreds of very nice bars and restaurants in the Cala d'Or area. You face stiff competition. Where is the bar located? Is it next to major hotels? Other attractions? Will you get the traffic you need? Are the nearby hotel(s) that bring you the traffic considering all-in at any point? Important things to know!

I'd suggest taking several weeks, fly down here and talk to everyone in the area before taking the plunge, so you know what kind of journey you're in for.

In any case, if you need some help, feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

-Ami
Old Mar 21st 2012, 1:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jimenato
Hold on a minute...

I was giving my take on the subject of the bar from the info provided, ie hubby working abroad for 5 days, travelling to Spain and then working his weekends with the wife, ie a 7 day week and a commute to boot, unsustainable in my view, both physically and mentally.

The OP does not even know which part of Mallorca they want to move to, but you have already got them into a profitable business, that enables them not only to make money but also employ someone or more than one, who are so trustworthy that they can be left to run the bar at the weekend, when there is more work.

Old Mar 21st 2012, 1:36 pm
TLM
Just Joined

TLM is an unknown quantity at this point

I only have limited experience of Mallorca but I would look around the Alcudia area. Plenty of holiday makers there - but not the boisterous type found in the Malaguf area.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

thx for all of the messages but some of you sound quite bitter about it and we are not taking it lightly. We are lucky to be able to consider this venture but it wont be a rushed decision. Ideally we want to move to warmer climes and also buy property on a beautiful island. I am not worried about the euro as I have spent the last ten years working there and it has been good to me. I am fully aware of the economic situation of Spain, but if people adopt an island mentality then people will not take any risks or opportunities.
In summary my wife works now and is also a successful artist. She is independent and strong willed so the bar would not be an issue.
Staff hopefully would happen if the bar warranted it and my point was we do not want a 7:00am till 4:00 am business to try and eke out a living. We just want to keep busy and hopefully add something positive to wherever we live
Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:43 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TLM
I only have limited experience of Mallorca but I would look around the Alcudia area. Plenty of holiday makers there - but not the boisterous type found in the Malaguf area.
Alcudia (and the north coast in general) is one of the fastest-growing family resort areas - best beaches on the island, easy access, lots of highly-rated hotels, modern and well-run.

Yes, nice area to live in.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:53 pm
Banned

thx for all of the messages but some of you sound quite bitter about it and we are not taking it lightly. We are lucky to be able to consider this venture but it wont be a rushed decision. Ideally we want to move to warmer climes and also buy property on a beautiful island. I am not worried about the euro as I have spent the last ten years working there and it has been good to me. I am fully aware of the economic situation of Spain, but if people adopt an island mentality then people will not take any risks or opportunities.
In summary my wife works now and is also a successful artist. She is independent and strong willed so the bar would not be an issue.
Staff hopefully would happen if the bar warranted it and my point was we do not want a 7:00am till 4:00 am business to try and eke out a living. We just want to keep busy and hopefully add something positive to wherever we live
Why would we be bitter about you wanting a bar and by posting that comment you sound a right plonker ..... most of us in the know (like me) who sees the inside of more bars than most, because of my line of work both here and the UK, know how hard the "leisure" industry is.

I still stick to the 7 day a week malarky is for mugs and the quickest way to a burn out......but its your life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.