Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying 2 semi detached houses joined together

Buying 2 semi detached houses joined together

Old Dec 16th 2014, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

danielspaniel11234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying 2 semi detached houses joined together

My parents are thinking of buying a House that was originally two Houses but now one. It's not a big house even now joined. The House has two separate deeds as one House was originally rented out in the past, though my parents don't want to do this. I'm just wondering if there are any big negatives to this apart from the fact we will pay two taxes for having two properties.
Thanks for any helpful advice
Daniel
Old Dec 17th 2014, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying 2 semi detached houses joined together

Originally Posted by danielspaniel11234
My parents are thinking of buying a House that was originally two Houses but now one. It's not a big house even now joined. The House has two separate deeds as one House was originally rented out in the past, though my parents don't want to do this. I'm just wondering if there are any big negatives to this apart from the fact we will pay two taxes for having two properties.
Thanks for any helpful advice
Daniel
Apparently you don't need planning permission to convert two houses into one, but I'd check if they're actually being overcharged when it comes to taxes. Regarding deeds, I'm sure they have a good solicitor who can actually check that everything is really 100% legal. With so many houses available in Spain, I'd also get a decent architect to check everything. I don't know what the asking price is and the standard of the conversion, but they might be better off getting a house that was actually planned to be detached.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

If they do decide to buy then maybe they can get both houses concatenated onto a single deed. May make a difference to the taxes and will certainly make it easier to sell in the future.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 8:54 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Apparently you don't need planning permission to convert two houses into one, but I'd check if they're actually being overcharged when it comes to taxes. Regarding deeds, I'm sure they have a good solicitor who can actually check that everything is really 100% legal. With so many houses available in Spain, I'd also get a decent architect to check everything. I don't know what the asking price is and the standard of the conversion, but they might be better off getting a house that was actually planned to be detached.
Are you sure - any work (minor or major) will need a licence I thought?

Remember also that you will have to pay twice the standing charges for electricity and water (if both houses are connected).

As to 'overcharging' for taxes, I don't understand. They will have to pay 2 lots of IBI, 2 lots of basura etc. etc.

If they can be reclassified as one property then this would solve these sort of problems but this has to be agreed by all parties (cadastral, town hall, registro etc.).
Old Dec 17th 2014, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Are you sure - any work (minor or major) will need a licence I thought?

Remember also that you will have to pay twice the standing charges for electricity and water (if both houses are connected).

As to 'overcharging' for taxes, I don't understand. They will have to pay 2 lots of IBI, 2 lots of basura etc. etc.

If they can be reclassified as one property then this would solve these sort of problems but this has to be agreed by all parties (cadastral, town hall, registro etc.).
You're probably right and I would say that this would more or less fall under minor. If they removed walls, then they would need planning. If both houses were connected with a door and all they did was take out the door, then maybe not. I doubt that was the case though and they probably did knock walls down, so planning is required. I'd say that's the reason why they still pay tax for two houses. Well, we all know that anything is possible in Spain, so they should get it confirmed by the town hall before buying anyway. Would be good to know where the house is, because if it's not legal the current owners would risk having to pay a fine (put up a wall again) if potential buyers are asking. Or maybe the mayor is corrupt
Old Dec 17th 2014, 3:23 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Yes i agree, why take the risk when there is so much to choose from ?