Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

To Buy Or Not To Buy

To Buy Or Not To Buy

Old Oct 3rd 2018, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Mickeyfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To Buy Or Not To Buy

Do I I take the plunge before Brexit and buy a holiday home???

Will the market be flooded with apartments as Brexit approaches???

Am I best to wait and possibly miss the boat??

Can any help answer??

Is their a right answer??

Heeeeellllllllllllpppppp

Old Oct 3rd 2018, 7:17 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Buy Or Not To Buy

No one can answer that!

If it's what you want to do, then go for it.

If you are at all uncertain, then wait.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 7:17 am
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

She will know. Please post the answer when you have it.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 8:20 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mickeyfish
Do I I take the plunge before Brexit and buy a holiday home???

Will the market be flooded with apartments as Brexit approaches???

Am I best to wait and possibly miss the boat??

Can any help answer??

Is their a right answer??

Heeeeellllllllllllpppppp

Hard to say when, but if you decide to wait till after brexit consider putting some of your Sterling into a Euro account, otherwise if sterling drops a lot you'll be paying more for the same place.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 6:20 am
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Hard to say when, but if you decide to wait till after brexit consider putting some of your Sterling into a Euro account, otherwise if sterling drops a lot you'll be paying more for the same place.
Mickey, ignore the George Soros bar-stool advisers. The £ might go up, only Meg knows.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 7:22 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johncarzx
Mickey, ignore the George Soros bar-stool advisers. The £ might go up, only Meg knows.
If you know you are going to buy a large item in euros you want to get some of your sterling in euros to hedge against any movement in the interim.

Sure Sterling might go up and then you've got extra cash, alternatively if it goes down some people find themselves priced out of buying what they thought they could.

Your position is 100% stay in sterling and full-risk, mine is to spread the risk and move some into Euros.

The reality is that there is more downside risk in Sterling in the next six months.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 8:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
If you know you are going to buy a large item in euros you want to get some of your sterling in euros to hedge against any movement in the interim.

Sure Sterling might go up and then you've got extra cash, alternatively if it goes down some people find themselves priced out of buying what they thought they could.

Your position is 100% stay in sterling and full-risk, mine is to spread the risk and move some into Euros.

The reality is that there is more downside risk in Sterling in the next six months.
Hello Cape

I don’t wish to be rude, but are you qualified to give this sort of advice? Advising a new member what to do with substantial amounts of money when you know nothing about Mickey’s financial circumstances.

With regard to currency movements, neither the market experts nor the Chancellor know the future. However I being an expert in these matters can confirm that the £ may go up or down or stay the same against the €.

I believe giving financial advice on a social media platform is wrong and dangerous. It is perfectly acceptable to quote your own historic financial experiences or where to catch the number 9 bus.

Last edited by Johncarzx; Oct 4th 2018 at 8:47 am.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 9:05 am
Democracy advocate

Hello Cape

I don’t wish to be rude, but are you qualified to give this sort of advice? Advising a new member what to do with substantial amounts of money when you know nothing about Mickey’s financial circumstances.

With regard to currency movements, neither the market experts nor the Chancellor know the future. However I being an expert in these matters can confirm that the £ may go up or down or stay the same against the €.

I believe giving financial advice on a social media platform is wrong and dangerous. It is perfectly acceptable to quote your own historic financial experiences or where to catch the number 9 bus.
As you mention yourself, no one is qualified to know where Fx is going, if we were we'd all be sitting back on our private Caribbean islands with hot and cold running servants.

However I am not giving advice as to the directions of the euro or sterling, I am suggesting some basic logic - I said if they were looking to buy a large euro-denominated asset after Brexit to consider putting some into euros now to hedge the risk of a drop in sterling. At the moment they are 100% exposed to a change in FX between the two currencies, whether up or down for Sterling, my suggestion was to reduce this 100% risk of Fx by considering putting some of their money into euros so it is in the same currency as the large asset they intend to buy.

There is clearly more downside risk for Sterling around Brexit, especially a hard cliff-edge brexit, but my advice is not based around guessing the Brexit Fx direction, it is based around the logic of having some of your money in the same currency as the large asset you are going to buy to minimise the risk of Fx regardless.

And yes, I didn't do that in the early 2000's and my Spanish properties cost me an extra £10K from the day I looked at them to the day I moved the money across a few months later.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot see the market being flooded with properties because of Brexit - there are many other nationalities buying property in Spain who have Euros and are not affected by Brexit. You might miss the boat if you wait in terms of your rights which might be less given Brits will not be EU citizens but as others have pointed out Brits were buying property here before UK was an EU member. For accurate Brexit advice worth a look here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-f...ghts-agreement

Fluctuating currency exchange is a fact of life for UK Expats trying to gain as many Euros as they can for their pounds. If you decide to transfer money please research the best ways to move money which is seldom (never?) using bank-bank but currency exchange companies.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 9:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by spainrico
I cannot see the market being flooded with properties because of Brexit - there are many other nationalities buying property in Spain who have Euros and are not affected by Brexit. You might miss the boat if you wait in terms of your rights which might be less given Brits will not be EU citizens but as others have pointed out Brits were buying property here before UK was an EU member. For accurate Brexit advice worth a look here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-f...ghts-agreement

Fluctuating currency exchange is a fact of life for UK Expats trying to gain as many Euros as they can for their pounds. If you decide to transfer money please research the best ways to move money which is seldom (never?) using bank-bank but currency exchange companies.
Good point

Police investigate after Britons lose holiday home money in £10m company collapse
A couple who lost £272,000 say the collapse "stole our future and our dreams" - but they won't get any compensation.

https://news.sky.com/story/police-in...lapse-11492763

See thread

Best way to transfer money
Old Oct 4th 2018, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really want a holiday home ? Why not just keep the money in the UK ? There are plenty of short term rental options for holidays and you will escape all the hassle and expense of owning a property over a 1,000 miles away in a different country with a different langauage. Also you will gain greater flexibility in terms of holiday destination choice, no obligation to visit "your holiday home" , you can go anywhere in the world.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

OK so I will throw this into the mix and it should be treated as pure speculation and hearsay by anyone reading this.
I stayed with a very close friend in London last week who works for Commerzbank in London as a trader.
He told me that the currency market is currently priced - €1.09 - €1.16 for the UK getting a reasonable deal with the EU.
He stated that the Commerzbank estimation of where the pound would go in the months after a no deal Brexit could be as low as €0.89
He seem to think that the only upside for the pound to move significantly up, would be a second referendum / or that Brexit is halted in some way.He also stated that Commerzbank has no banking license to operate in the UK, outside of their Germany EU license and that the true effect of the UK exiting the EU without a deal would be very hard on the financial institutions and the currency .
Old Oct 4th 2018, 11:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Do you really want a holiday home ? Why not just keep the money in the UK ? There are plenty of short term rental options for holidays and you will escape all the hassle and expense of owning a property over a 1,000 miles away in a different country with a different langauage. Also you will gain greater flexibility in terms of holiday destination choice, no obligation to visit "your holiday home" , you can go anywhere in the world.
Not aimed at Mickey

Loafing, you are spot on, the reason most don’t is greed. They also want the holiday home to let out on the QT and make a few quid tax free. They also believe property only ever goes up in value.

Old Oct 4th 2018, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Not aimed at Mickey

Loafing, you are spot on, the reason most don’t is greed. They also want the holiday home to let out on the QT and make a few quid tax free. They also believe property only ever goes up in value.
That is a very UK mind-set - Property always goes up - until it doesn´t!

There is nothing wrong with wanting a holiday home and say borrowing a 30% mortgage and renting the Villa out to help pay for this mortgage.
In fact you get tax relief on the debt, from your rental income. Works fine so long as you can actually afford the mortgage with no rental income for example.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 1:52 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smithy73
That is a very UK mind-set - Property always goes up - until it doesn´t!

There is nothing wrong with wanting a holiday home and say borrowing a 30% mortgage and renting the Villa out to help pay for this mortgage.
In fact you get tax relief on the debt, from your rental income. Works fine so long as you can actually afford the mortgage with no rental income for example.
I'm not sure you do any more.

With the new licencing issues, this may not be the best advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.