Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

To buy or NOT to buy??

To buy or NOT to buy??

Old Jan 1st 2015, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To buy or NOT to buy??

Originally Posted by Porth
Not Spain but France. The French have a simply approach - 'a house is a place in which to live' Then it is a rental society as is Germany.
Apart from the UK most countries have that approach. At the end of the day you should buy in a place you want to live.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

nyosito is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i would like to know how can people compare London with any other properties in Spain market.The most attractive market in the world London, versus Spain the most distressed market in the developed world probably.

London = Great tax system at business and personal levels,unemployment rate at 6%(UK) 3% London, when you buy you buy with confidence.
House price levels may correct a bit but long term would be a great investment.

Spain=The worse tax system in EU (ex. if you hire an employee you as business owner would pay 54% towards his contributions on top of his salary, a great incentive to hire!!!!!!!) unemployment rate Spain 24% , Andalucia 35%,no wonder why.This would be just a few small details.And i forgot that you would be set back about 20 years in any level between UK and Spain.

On another note the housing crash was caused by the subprime lending and easy lending with no doc. loans
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough

I dont because of all the problems you have listed above. There is no comparison really.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Pablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the rough

Its all heading back to what we spoke about at the start of the thread.....its a great time to buy in Spain if you want buy a "lifestyle", BUT, if I was going to buy as an Investment over a 10 year period it would Of course be London hands down, no contest...this coming from an owner of 2 London properties and 3 in southern Spain since 1992!
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough

Yes I was talking about investment. I wouldn't invest into a Spanish property to make money but as you say a life style. Still having said that you have to make sure that you buy the right property in Spain which you intend to say put in because selling is a nightmare unless it is a particularly unusual property and/or going cheap. I would like to sell my property and buy elsewhere but no chance.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

nyosito is an unknown quantity at this point

When you say lifestyle you mean the weather right?Because other than that i don"t know what is so great about Spain, rather than pulling your hair out everyday from everything you have to do
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

G-Diffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nyosito
When you say lifestyle you mean the weather right?Because other than that i don"t know what is so great about Spain, rather than pulling your hair out everyday from everything you have to do
the lifestyle is not just the weather at all. It's sitting outside the local bar from 10am drinking a coffee and a large brandy reading the Daily Mail and putting the world to rights.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 11:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.

For me lifestyle means having some wonderfully supportive friends and neighbours who genuinely care. The weather means that I can dry my washing outside the majority of days and events that the town organise are rarely rained off. What is "great about Spain" for me are the Spanish people and their outlook on life.

Rosemary
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Pablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Welcome to the forum.

For me lifestyle means having some wonderfully supportive friends and neighbours who genuinely care. The weather means that I can dry my washing outside the majority of days and events that the town organise are rarely rained off. What is "great about Spain" for me are the Spanish people and their outlook on life.

Rosemary
Rosemary hits the nail on the head, Its a "lifestyle"....drives me mad when people try to put others off buying a property in Spain because its "not a good investment".....utter rubish, its not about that, its about investing in YOU and the lifestyle you wish to have, a rented property comes with many restrictions, to have your own place in the sunshine in this wonderful culture is one of the most rewarding things you can do! Ive done both, UK has worked better as an investment BUT for the quality "lifestyle" we live in Spain it does not come close!
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

I have 'done' UK France for so many years and latterly just a short sojourn into Spain. In fairness I lived in Spain in a tourist/ex-pat area and that was difficult to get used to. I say that in that for the majority of the time in France we lived near La Rochelle and there were only two of us who spoke English in the village. A life style I suggest is richer is one is able to integrate into 'their' society.

Of course one cannot compare and contrast between the Spanish and French way of life (style) for I do not have the requisite knowledge of Spain.

However to date France shades it but who knows after Hollande.

Some time ago much was made on this site as to the new 'political' party in Spain - where are they please in the polls?
Old Jan 4th 2015, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo the sailor
Rosemary hits the nail on the head, Its a "lifestyle"....drives me mad when people try to put others off buying a property in Spain because its "not a good investment".....utter rubish, its not about that, its about investing in YOU and the lifestyle you wish to have, a rented property comes with many restrictions, to have your own place in the sunshine in this wonderful culture is one of the most rewarding things you can do! Ive done both, UK has worked better as an investment BUT for the quality "lifestyle" we live in Spain it does not come close!
I agree.

My homes in Spain are not a financial investment but purely a lifestyle choice. If I looked at it from a financial point of view I would never have bought in Spain, simply down to the cost of running the properties that are only used for a total of around 20% of the time as they are holiday homes that I do not rent out and only allow my immediate family to use. I have highlighted homes as that is what they are to me, my other homes not an investment property.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Those that want to work here going forward are probably better to rent a home if it does not look a long term secure job, if you are wanting a bar (I know a lot about this from experience) get a FREEHOLD and pay cash for it (there are some great prices now) so that you are not under pressure to pay monthly rent! The days of coming here with little to your name and making a fortune are lost in the 1980s! Spain is still a great place to come and live BUT its not as easy to survive these days as it once was!
Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: To buy or NOT to buy??

Originally Posted by Porth
I have 'done' UK France for so many years and latterly just a short sojourn into Spain. In fairness I lived in Spain in a tourist/ex-pat area and that was difficult to get used to. I say that in that for the majority of the time in France we lived near La Rochelle and there were only two of us who spoke English in the village. A life style I suggest is richer is one is able to integrate into 'their' society.

Of course one cannot compare and contrast between the Spanish and French way of life (style) for I do not have the requisite knowledge of Spain.

However to date France shades it but who knows after Hollande.

Some time ago much was made on this site as to the new 'political' party in Spain - where are they please in the polls?
The new party is Podemos and they are just in the lead on the other two big parties about 23% in the polls. They did very well from no where in the Euros and are expected to figure in the balance of power after the National elections in May.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute

It's sitting outside the local bar from 10am drinking a coffee and a large brandy reading the Daily Mail and putting the world to rights. that late in the morning G-DIFFY my hubby be there at 8 if he could hahaha
Old Jan 4th 2015, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, i would like to know how can people compare London with any other properties in Spain market.The most attractive market in the world London, versus Spain the most distressed market in the developed world probably.

London = Great tax system at business and personal levels,unemployment rate at 6%(UK) 3% London, when you buy you buy with confidence.
House price levels may correct a bit but long term would be a great investment.

Spain=The worse tax system in EU (ex. if you hire an employee you as business owner would pay 54% towards his contributions on top of his salary, a great incentive to hire!!!!!!!) unemployment rate Spain 24% , Andalucia 35%,no wonder why.This would be just a few small details.And i forgot that you would be set back about 20 years in any level between UK and Spain.

On another note the housing crash was caused by the subprime lending and easy lending with no doc. loans
The problem is that people always bring London up and think it's the only place in the world. We're in the Spain forum and most people want to buy in Spain and not in London. Even London will see a decline at some point and it's up to every individual what they want in life. If we keep building and building all these people will need food, so maybe someone who bought land in Spain to grow fruit has a good investment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.