Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

To buy or NOT to buy??

To buy or NOT to buy??

Old Jan 10th 2015, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To buy or NOT to buy??

Originally Posted by Pablo the sailor
Crosssrail is the Biggest development of its kind ever seen in Europe, it will change the City of London forever, some journey times will be slashed by 50% which brings new areas into the commuter belt, those who had the vision to see this some years ago were smart BUT, there are still good investment opportunities in the "new areas",
I am not a property investor but generally transport improvements to areas do not fail. eg the Overground upgrades and extensions. Aren't there plans for a north/south London crossrail and extensions to the underground south of the river? These shall increase property prices when they happen. If I was an investor that is where I would be looking.
I also believe HS2 if it goes ahead shall have the complete opposite effect than planned. It will not make the Midlands and North more attractive but just enlarge the London commuter zone.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Pablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the rough

This is an interesting read re UK property and the next 5 years, these guys are normaly not far off with what they predict!

House prices to rise 30% by 2019, new Rightmove and Oxford Economics forecast reveals | Property Blog by Rightmove

I just dont see this sort of overall growth equally across Spain in the same time window!
Old Jan 10th 2015, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I am not a property investor but generally transport improvements to areas do not fail. eg the Overground upgrades and extensions. Aren't there plans for a north/south London crossrail and extensions to the underground south of the river? These shall increase property prices when they happen. If I was an investor that is where I would be looking.
I also believe HS2 if it goes ahead shall have the complete opposite effect than planned. It will not make the Midlands and North more attractive but just enlarge the London commuter zone.
Improvements of transport links will encourage more people. Widen the M25 add extra lanes and more traffic will use it, common sense. The same as building more skyscrapers and living boxes, all this may be good for the economy but not necessarily the quality of life for the people that live and work there. With technology and communications improving all the time more and more people will not need to commute everyday to an office to work, they will and can work anywhere and maybe travel once a week. Dorset for example the only county without any motorways but many who live there work for firms all over the world. High prices and congested living conditions force both people and firms to change locations. The firms can't afford to pay the employees a living wage.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer quality to quantity.

Originally Posted by surreygirl
7000 posts!! I have made fewer than 216!
Old Jan 11th 2015, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Horlics
I prefer quality to quantity.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Those involved in this debate might find this interesting.....

BBC iPlayer - The Super-Rich and Us - Episode 1

Relevant parts start at around 38 minutes in. The bit about London's unique position is at 41 mins.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

I bought in Spain last March. It's worth about the same now as it was then. That's exactly what I expected and I am expecting similar for 2015.

My house in the UK is worth 8% more now than it was last March. My view of 2015 is that it will creep up a little more but not by another 8%.

This is an interesting read re UK property and the next 5 years, these guys are normaly not far off with what they predict!

House prices to rise 30% by 2019, new Rightmove and Oxford Economics forecast reveals | Property Blog by Rightmove

I just dont see this sort of overall growth equally across Spain in the same time window!
Old Jan 12th 2015, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

I used to use the Virgin line to get into London a couple of days a week. Birmingham to Euston was an hour and 24 minutes. HS2's time for London to Birmingham Interchange (a new station) will be 40 minutes. The Midlands will become part of the London commuter zone!

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Old Jan 12th 2015, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
I bought in Spain last March. It's worth about the same now as it was then. That's exactly what I expected and I am expecting similar for 2015.

My house in the UK is worth 8% more now than it was last March. My view of 2015 is that it will creep up a little more but not by another 8%.
You never know, but at the end of the day every case is different. I just think it's wrong to say Spain isn't a good investment, because again it depends what you pay and how much you can sell for. As said, our Spanish property increased by 70% in less than a year, because it was a bargain. Our Irish property is also worth 40% more than what we paid 2-3 years ago.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 12th 2015 at 5:58 am.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Pablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You never know, but at the end of the day every case is different. I just think it's wrong to say Spain isn't a good investment, because again it depends what you pay and how much you can sell for. As said, our Spanish property increased by 70% in less than a year, because it was a bargain. Our Irish property is also worth 40% more than what we paid 2-3 years ago.

You are incredibly fortunate to see a 70% increase in less than a year in Spain, that has certainly not happened in any of the areas where I own property, is that down to capital growth OR was it just a distressed sale?? I would suggest your Irish property is a more accurate guide to Capital growth across the board!
Old Jan 12th 2015, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Some small houses here.

Hackney house is less than seven feet wide - AOL Money UK
Old Jan 12th 2015, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

You are incredibly fortunate to see a 70% increase in less than a year in Spain, that has certainly not happened in any of the areas where I own property, is that down to capital growth OR was it just a distressed sale?? I would suggest your Irish property is a more accurate guide to Capital growth across the board!
I was fortunate, but also did plenty of research and wasn't stuck on a location, be it Ireland or Spain. Both were distressed sales, but just saying that Spain can be a good option.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

There are those who'd say that I bought at less than market value. The circumstances of the owners meant they'd cut the price considerably. A very nearby identical property is now for sale at 30% more.

There's a difference, though. About 6 houses on the same road as mine in the UK have gone onto the market in the last 6 months. All sold within 2 weeks, some for more than the asking price and none for less. Therefore, when I talk about the rise of value in the UK home I can do it with confidence that it would sell quickly at the value I put on it, i.e. it's up 8% in a year.

I could be claiming that I've made 30% on the home in Spain as that's what a neighbour is asking for over the cost of mine. In reality, I know that place might be on the market for some time unless they shift the price down.

Different.