Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buy or hire a car

Buy or hire a car

Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future
Default Buy or hire a car

We spend approx £2000 per year on hire cars, would it be better to buy a say 2 year old car and leave it at the airport, we have been told there is a company at Alicante that charges 300 euros per year that will look after your car and they will deliver it to the airport on your arrival up to 12 visits per year.
Thanks in advance
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:20 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice
Default Re: Buy or hire a car

£2K a year on a rental car. It is probably still cheaper than buying your own. You would have to insure it, maintain it, pay tax on it and pay to park it.
With the rental you are almost cetainly given a good reliable vehicle with no maintainence issues.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:48 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the timescale I guess

€150 ish to service it pa
€100 road tax (guestimate) pa
€300 pa parking
€500 estimate pa to insure
€100 ITV & associated costs pa
plus the cost of the car
Old Oct 25th 2009, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Also wear & Tear, plus, are they a reliable company?? Have heard for these so called "storage" people using the vehicles either themselves or hiring them out while they are supposedly being looked after
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

€300 pa parking
plus the cost of the car
Say over the next 5 years, also the longer stays we have the more it pays to have your own car . Must be worth thinking about ?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil8999
Say over the next 5 years, also the longer stays we have the more it pays to have your own car . Must be worth thinking about ?
Well, you'r going to pay €1150 a yearish maintenance/tax etc to own your car, and then you have to buy one / finance one as well, so thats €6000 odd euros over 5 years excluding car purchase / depreciation. As opposed to €10k hiring.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

€300 pa parking
plus the cost of the car
My last service was over 250€.... it is a big 4x4 & I do high mileage but 150 a YEAR?

So on Mitz's calculations you'd be 4k up & still have a car? If I got that right I think I know which I'd choose
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:22 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by fionamw
My last service was over 250€.... it is a big 4x4 & I do high mileage but 150 a YEAR?

So on Mitz's calculations you'd be 4k up & still have a car? If I got that right I think I know which I'd choose
A full service hereabouts is €150 - €180, and I was assuming their mileage wouldnt be that great so probably only need a major service every year. Of course, I can only generalise
Old Oct 26th 2009, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

A full service hereabouts is €150 - €180, and I was assuming their mileage wouldnt be that great so probably only need a major service every year. Of course, I can only generalise
True, as do all of us
Old Oct 26th 2009, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

Older cars won't need an expensive service, and you can buy all the parts at your local supermercado if you're that way inclined. It only gets expensive the more kms you do - I spent over €1000 on my daily driver last year, but only €79 servicing my weekend car.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carter71
Older cars won't need an expensive service, and you can buy all the parts at your local supermercado if you're that way inclined. It only gets expensive the more kms you do - I spent over €1000 on my daily driver last year, but only €79 servicing my weekend car.

Oh for the joys of having two cars
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

Oh for the joys of having two cars
...so when Miguel tells me that the parts won't arrive for another two weeks, at least I can still get the kids to school
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

...so when Miguel tells me that the parts won't arrive for another two weeks, at least I can still get the kids to school

At least that´s logic. We´re looking at buying a 2nd car cos (despite being there at the test drive & declining his turn at the wheel) my jag-driving OH won't drive our tank of a 4x4 cos it's 'too big' so I've been the sole driver for 3 years.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

At least that´s logic. We´re looking at buying a 2nd car cos (despite being there at the test drive & declining his turn at the wheel) my jag-driving OH won't drive our tank of a 4x4 cos it's 'too big' so I've been the sole driver for 3 years.
A sore point in our house. Hubby (when he's here) "drives" a showroom condition X350, showroom condition because he refuses to drive it anywhere! He takes one of my cars whenever we go anywhere, unless he knows he's able to park on a friend's drive!

Have suggested he trade it in for a Seat Ibiza!!
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A sore point in our house. Hubby (when he's here) "drives" a showroom condition X350, showroom condition because he refuses to drive it anywhere! He takes one of my cars whenever we go anywhere, unless he knows he's able to park on a friend's drive!

Have suggested he trade it in for a Seat Ibiza!!
I've suggested a Citroen Berlingo, Renault(?) Kangoo, Fiat whatever, Peugeot whatever -..... all small white van man fodder but good on campo tracks, but I don't think he'll quite go with that! Given that he's half the time in the UK on Gloucestershire's finest tarmac with his admittedly wonderful Jag, I don't stand an earthly of converting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.