British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Butano safety (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/butano-safety-936793/)

spainrico Jan 26th 2021 11:00 am

Butano safety

I understand you can have an official safety inspection but can someone accurately detail the safety requirements for using butano regarding the gas escape vents/grills ie size/location etc.

Also, does anyone use a gas detector alarm?

By the way, there are all sorts of regulations regarding transporting butano in your car which I did not know after 20 years here - maximum 2 bottles, must be placed upright and don't park underground with gas in the car.

tebo53 Jan 26th 2021 12:36 pm

Re: Butano safety

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12964506)
I understand you can have an official safety inspection but can someone accurately detail the safety requirements for using butano regarding the gas escape vents/grills ie size/location etc.

Also, does anyone use a gas detector alarm?

By the way, there are all sorts of regulations regarding transporting butano in your car which I did not know after 20 years here - maximum 2 bottles, must be placed upright and don't park underground with gas in the car.

Hi,
I had to have safety vents fitted after a gas safety inspection. The vents are around 8 inches x 6 inches. I needed one at the bottom of the outside kitchen wall and one more in the kitchen window on the same wall. He would not issue a safety certificate until he saw that the work had been done. Our landlord paid for all the required work.

They didn't insist on a gas detector.

Steve

spainrico Jan 26th 2021 12:39 pm

Thanks, Steve - 8x6 quite big then and 2 of them...

tebo53 Jan 26th 2021 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12964545)
Thanks, Steve - 8x6 quite big then and 2 of them...

They insisted on 2 vents so you get a flow through. The orange gas connector pipes have to be renewed every so often but I can't remember the time scale for that.

Steve

Lynn R Jan 26th 2021 1:02 pm

We had to have a vent (only one, though) fitted when we applied for a contract from Repsol for our old house. It wasn't possible to put one in the kitchen because they have to be no more than a certain height above the floor (sorry, can't remember what that was) and our kitchen floor was lower than the ground outside. So the inspector said the vent had to go in the front door instead (the downstairs of the house was open plan). As I had just spent weeks stripping, refinishing and restaining our double wooden doors I was none too pleased but we didn't have a choice.

The inspection period is every five years. My husband used to buy replacement tubes and fit them himself just before the inspection was due Repsol always delivered our bombonas to the door so we never had to concern ourselves with transport regulations..

missile Jan 26th 2021 2:26 pm

You are required to have a gas inspection and flexible pipes are stamped date for renewal.

teuchterpete Jan 26th 2021 2:58 pm

We have a gas water heater which is wall mounted in a partially covered outside space. I was advised it must be inspected every 5 years. We also have a portable gas heater, I use a Carbon monoxide detector as it is in a closed space.. A chemical called "Ethane thiol" which smells like cooked cabbage is added to the ( Butane) gas and you should have no trouble smelling it, even if there is the smallest of gas leaks, in fact you will get a whiff of it every time you change an empty bottle.
Pete

bobd22 Jan 26th 2021 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 12964551)
The orange gas connector pipes have to be renewed every so often but I can't remember the time scale for that.

Steve

The orange pipe should have the expiry date on it.

spainrico Jan 26th 2021 3:29 pm

They have an expiry date (caducidad) clearly marked on them and so it is easy to see when to replace them.

I am not sure about the actual metal connector valves - but they are not expensive and I would think it a good idea to replace along with the tubes.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

VFR Jan 26th 2021 4:54 pm

I went into the large town to visit the Repsol shop and asked for the inspector to call and at the time the inspection was 50 euros.
Quite reasonable fellow & fitted new Repsol pressure valves & pipes as mine had seen better days, the Repsol items were better quality as well (IMO) and orange in colour, cost was 15 each (Fitted) so as he then tests everything after was happy with that.
Some time later a certificate arrived and all good for the next 5 years.

snikpoh Jan 27th 2021 7:55 am

We have carbon monoxide detectors (and smoke detectors) in every room that uses butano.

missile Jan 27th 2021 10:05 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 12964860)
We have carbon monoxide detectors (and smoke detectors) in every room that uses butano.

New regulations in the UK, require detectors to be interlinked. I do not know if there is similar regulation in Spain(?)