Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

To But now in Spain or wait?

To But now in Spain or wait?

Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:31 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To But now in Spain or wait?

Originally Posted by sonofspain1973
I admit what I have read in the history books and what have taught me in the school, nor more, nor less. What have taught to me is that Spain is Spain thanks to the Catholic Kings, Isabel and Fernando (And Spain is more than 2500 years of civilization, not everything is summarized to a Muslim period). But if to think that Spain is Spain thanks to the Muslims makes you happy, here we leave it

No problem
But Spain is Spain thanks to Catholic Kings from the 1400's.

You said somewhere that Spain doesnt have that many Arabic words, yet you use at least one every day of the week.

Many historians feel that "Hola" is a bastardization of the word "Allah" and is part of a long lost greeting among Iberian Moors, not to mention the word Andalucia, or Al Andalus in Arabic.

Lets look at words like aceite, a Spanish word surely, well you may think so, but when we look at the Arabic for oil, az-zeit, we start to question it don't we?

Even the word Hasta, when we look at the Arabic word for "until", hatta, they sound VERY similar don't they?
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
But Spain is Spain thanks to Catholic Kings from the 1400's.

You said somewhere that Spain doesnt have that many Arabic words, yet you use at least one every day of the week.

Many historians feel that "Hola" is a bastardization of the word "Allah" and is part of a long lost greeting among Iberian Moors, not to mention the word Andalucia, or Al Andalus in Arabic.

Lets look at words like aceite, a Spanish word surely, well you may think so, but when we look at the Arabic for oil, az-zeit, we start to question it don't we?

Even the word Hasta, when we look at the Arabic word for "until", hatta, they sound VERY similar don't they?
Yes, are there muslim swords, roman words, greek words, something of english words... which is the problem? In English there are many words that are Latin pure; many tribes of Indians from North America (that today is United States) do they use some words in Spanish, due to the Spanish presence in those territories when they formed of the Spanish crown, even in Philipine also does happen something similar, then which is the problem with the words in Spain? What you want to tell me concretely?

Because I have not denied anything, is you who is inventing the movie
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 9:59 am
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Good, the spaniards also brought to Europe the chocolate, the corn, the tobacco, the potato, etc, and this didn't prevent us to be in war with some countries. You didn't thank us. Ingrate!
So its your fault everbody is over weight and chain smoking.

Thanks
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 10:02 am
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

You forget roman constructions as the amphitheater of Merida, the Aqueduct of Segovia, etc etc etc, or of christian constructions as the Fortress of Segovia, of the Monastery of The Escorial, of the Walls of Avila, the city of Toledo, of the Papa Luna's castle...do you forget many things, I believe

No, I was pointing out the ones that are semi famous around the world.