Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Business Venture in Health and Beauty

Business Venture in Health and Beauty

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Emsie31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Business Venture in Health and Beauty

Hi, Can anyone give me any advise about opening my own business in health and beauty in marbella.

I am looking to open a shop in the high street or on a main, busy street.

I will have trained staff doing nails, massage, waxing, makeup, etc.

I am to do a nail technician and beauty course so I know what to look for when hiring staff.

My plan is to rent a shop and to let spaces out to fully trained and qualified staff for nails and have my own staff working for me doing the waxing, massages, etc.

Before taking this huge step I would like to know peoples thoughts, advise and ideas.

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Venture in Health and Beauty

Originally Posted by Emsie31
Hi, Can anyone give me any advise about opening my own business in health and beauty in marbella.

I am looking to open a shop in the high street or on a main, busy street.

I will have trained staff doing nails, massage, waxing, makeup, etc.

I am to do a nail technician and beauty course so I know what to look for when hiring staff.

My plan is to rent a shop and to let spaces out to fully trained and qualified staff for nails and have my own staff working for me doing the waxing, massages, etc.

Before taking this huge step I would like to know peoples thoughts, advise and ideas.

Sorry to dampen your spirits, but can you do something else, it`s been tried a thousand times all along the coast ?
Some of them used to post on here.
Marbella Belles
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply - but what went wrong with their businesses?

Was there not enough clients or can't the staff be found?

My partner has a business in Marbella but lives here at present. He wants to move to Marbella to be closer to his business and he wants me to go with him - I can't live with him and not work, so he wants to open a business for me. He has his own clients so in marbella so hopefully there should not be a problem with building a database of clients for me.

If this business is not going to work then I will have to look into something else but I have no idea what else to do!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply - but what went wrong with their businesses?

Was there not enough clients or can't the staff be found?

My partner has a business in Marbella but lives here at present. He wants to move to Marbella to be closer to his business and he wants me to go with him - I can't live with him and not work, so he wants to open a business for me. He has his own clients so in marbella so hopefully there should not be a problem with building a database of clients for me.

If this business is not going to work then I will have to look into something else but I have no idea what else to do!
I would say too much competition and not enough talent. ;-)
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Thank you....

I think a bit of good marketing and advertising along with my partners PR skills should hopefully make it work.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Try a google search for nail technicians in marbella

One directory site alone lists 53 outlets.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:09 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, how many nails and massages will you have to do per day to cover the costs of renting and running a premises on a "main busy street" in Marbella?
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

sunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nice

Hi,
it's a pity it has to be Marbella as usual, as there are so many others areas of Spain where we expats live who would love to treat themselves to manicure and eyebrow shaping!!. Not many buisness here!!

Sue
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Hi,

It can't be too far away from Marbella - what about Torremolinos?

It's about half an hour away.

I need as much advise as possible and I am listening to all of your opinions.

You are all helping a great deal, thank you.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:46 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I think what people are telling you emsie, is that starting a business in the UK from scratch is a long term thing and challenging, to say the least. Starting one in spain is the same with bells on!! Especially when you are going into a busines which is already so competitive in ex pat areas. Isn't this something you can start up as "mobile", i.e. going to peoples homes, rather than take on a premises overhead from day 1?
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:53 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Hi,

Have you a helicopter, as you will struggle to drive it in 30 mins.

Step 1. First you have to work out how much competition there is nearby as you will need clients.
Step 2. Find out rent, taxes, licences, insurances, wages, overheads, double them then add on profit you want.
Divide by process`s you do.
Can anyone afford to go to you and is there enough time in the day for it to happen ?
If there is then go for it.

PS. Almost forgot the langauge, do you speak business Spanish ?
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Have you a helicopter, as you will struggle to drive it in 30 mins.

Step 1. First you have to work out how much competition there is nearby as you will need clients.
Step 2. Find out rent, taxes, licences, insurances, wages, overheads, double them then add on profit you want.
Divide by process`s you do.
Can anyone afford to go to you and is there enough time in the day for it to happen ?
If there is then go for it.

PS. Almost forgot the langauge, do you speak business Spanish ?
My next step is to go out there with my partner in April this year, this will give me an rough idea of competition in the area.

I will be looking for a premises to rent during our stay in April and the overheads are not a problem as my partner will be funding it for the first year. This gives me a year to get everything up and running.

Clients are not too much of a problem as my partner has a lot of business clients around the local area, so we are looking to build a small database of his clients and build it up with the locals thoughout the year.

Although my partner has his business in Marbella his villa is in Torrevieja which is why we do not know the local area of Marbella. We are looking to move into the Marbella area this year so he can be closer to his business therefore my business cannot be too far away.

I have a rough idea of what I need to do but he is the one with the business degree! He knows nothing about the beauty industry and has advised that I do my homework before we go out there.

We know enough Spanish language to get us by but a little help from his friends and the local lingo will be helpful.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

I've had some reviews back - what do you know about estepona?

Would this be an ideal location for my business venture?