Business sense

Old Feb 11th 2012, 6:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Business sense

We have just had the builders in to alter our roof terrace, change the drainage system and put down new tiles. I absolutely hate having workmen in the house but they were a pleasure to have around and they did a great job. Today the owner of the company came to give us the final bill but he softened the blow by giving us a large carrier bag of oranges, very sensible man.

I asked him about a couple of other things in the house and instead of gaining extra work for himself he told me how I could do these jobs easily and cheaply myself. A good honest man.

What sensible business experiences have you found here in Spain.

Rosemary
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business sense

Originally Posted by Rosemary
We have just had the builders in to alter our roof terrace, change the drainage system and put down new tiles. I absolutely hate having workmen in the house but they were a pleasure to have around and they did a great job. Today the owner of the company came to give us the final bill but he softened the blow by giving us a large carrier bag of oranges, very sensible man.

I asked him about a couple of other things in the house and instead of gaining extra work for himself he told me how I could do these jobs easily and cheaply myself. A good honest man.

What sensible business experiences have you found here in Spain.

Rosemary
I'll have a think... but none to match that! Wonderful story. Hope he's as successful in business as it seems he deserves to be.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I'll have a think... but none to match that! Wonderful story. Hope he's as successful in business as it seems he deserves to be.
Made me laugh when I saw the oranges because he possibly does not realise that if he had not brought them to me his wife would have anyway. He is quite a shy man who has walked in and out of the house to check on the mens work and deliver things to them and just nodded or raised his hand slightly. Today he gabbled away at me and he is very, very hard to understand but I did manage better with him than I expected.

Rosemary
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:39 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

What sensible business experiences have you found here in Spain?..
What a refreshing change to discuss honest spanish workmen.

My wife has ordered some new curtains in the UK. We have paid a deposit and have to pay the balance prior to delivery.
Co-incidently, she has ordered some in spain. "Would you like a deposit?" "No not necessary, pay me after you have them fitted."
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by missile

My wife has ordered some new curtains in the UK. We have paid a deposit and have to pay the balance prior to delivery.
Co-incidently, she has ordered some in spain. "Would you like a deposit?" "No not necessary, pay me after you have them fitted."
Not had anything but honest, straightforward and excellent dealings with the tradespeople here. When we had a large dresser delivered they had huge problems getting it into the house and we gave them a tip, they shook their heads and said no but we insisted that they buy themselves a beer and eventually they unwillingly took it. They were very surprised in the shop that we ordered it from that we paid in full prior to delivery, at the time we did not realise that they expected to be paid on delivery.

I cannot fault the attitude or the quality of workmanship of the tradesmen we have used.

Rosemary
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Not had anything but honest, straightforward and excellent dealings with the tradespeople here. When we had a large dresser delivered they had huge problems getting it into the house and we gave them a tip, they shook their heads and said no but we insisted that they buy themselves a beer and eventually they unwillingly took it. They were very surprised in the shop that we ordered it from that we paid in full prior to delivery, at the time we did not realise that they expected to be paid on delivery.

I cannot fault the attitude or the quality of workmanship of the tradesmen we have used.

Rosemary
Our experiences have been the same!
We always try to use the local Spanish tradespeople whenever we can, we have always had good service from them and many go above and beyond...can't fault any of them.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile

Same experience we've had almost everywhere (only paid all the cost of my new spex upfront before receiving them cos was paying by card and it seemed easier!) ...... everyone virtually without exception 'do you want a deposit' ... no, (strange look why would you want to pay) pay when you come to get it, or when we deliver, or even after we deliver or whenever...
Old Feb 13th 2012, 3:46 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK we are used to paying for our drinks when plonked on the bar in front of us, so getting used to the spanish pay when you have finished took a little bit of getting used to
yesterday went into small back street bar with the BH, very local, no chance of other expats - nowhere to park a car, the second time we have visited it in 2 weeks. The owner told us to sit down at a table, when he had got the 2 drinks ready on the bar BH got up to get them, he told her to sit down and brought them out to us at our table and then returned with a 2 person tapas with a big grin on his face.

1 bottle of beer 1 bottle of coke and a plate of tapas for €2.80
how do they make a profit and keep the genuine grin on the face ??

you know where we are going next weekend .............
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Same experience we've had almost everywhere (only paid all the cost of my new spex upfront before receiving them cos was paying by card and it seemed easier!) ...... everyone virtually without exception 'do you want a deposit' ... no, (strange look why would you want to pay) pay when you come to get it, or when we deliver, or even after we deliver or whenever...
I was amazed when I needed new glass for my washing machine door - tried some local suppliers but they couldn't help, so I contacted the spares supplier listed in the manufacturer's instruction manual, by email. Got a reply within hours, yes we can supply it, you can either collect it from our depot in Malaga, or we will deliver it to your door by courier for €6 extra. I expected to have to pay by credit or debit card, but no, it was cash on delivery, payable to the courier who brought it. Marvellous service.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 7:38 am

Forgot to say that he had obviously used an on line translator to make out the invoice in English. He is the first one to have done anything like that and we appreciated it, also gave us a bit of a giggle.

Rosemary
Old Feb 15th 2012, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

Although this was a few years ago, we got lost in the campo and finally found our way to Antequera. We were hot and tired and tbh a bit fed up. We parked the car and walked into a tiny bar on the corner of the street. Neither of us then spoke any Spanish. The bar was crowded but the owner moved some 'locals' away and got us both a stool. We ordered 2 drinks and he placed a couple of tapas on the bar next to us. MY OH suggested I try the ham with a sherry (something I would never have touched). 2 manzanillas arrived along with a huge plate of jambon. The owner seemed to want us to try every tapas in the bar. Several drinks later we left well watered and fed. the bill was €8! We have never been back that way but we intend to look it up once we are living there.

That attitude is only one of the reasons we decided on Spain for our retirement.

We certainly hope to use local tradesmen.

Last edited by sujee; Feb 15th 2012 at 8:01 am. Reason: typos
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by sujee
Although this was a few years ago, we got lost in the campo and finally found our way to Antequera. We were hot and tired and tbh a bit fed up. We parked the car and walked into a tiny bar on the corner of the street. Neither of us then spoke any Spanish. The bar was crowded but the owner moved some 'locals' away and got us both a stool. We ordered 2 drinks and he placed a couple of tapas on the bar next to us. MY OH suggested I try the ham with a sherry (something I would never have touched). 2 manzanillas arrived along with a huge plate of jambon. The owner seemed to want us to try every tapas in the bar. Several drinks later we left well watered and fed. the bill was €8! We have never been back that way but we intend to look it up once we are living there.

That attitude is only one of the reasons we decided on Spain for our retirement.

We certainly hope to use local tradesmen.
What a lovely experience you had.

Not sure whether you have done this on purpose or not because I gather that you like a joke. Not sure that I would enjoy soapy tasting ham or wash my hands in soap smelling of ham.

Rosemary
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What a lovely experience you had.

Not sure whether you have done this on purpose or not because I gather that you like a joke. Not sure that I would enjoy soapy tasting ham or wash my hands in soap smelling of ham.

Rosemary
My schoolgirl French says ... I think
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

Have you never tried a plate of soap?

LOL I had already edited it for typos blame it on old age and poverty
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by sujee
Have you never tried a plate of soap?

LOL I had already edited it for typos blame it on old age and poverty
No, will not blame it on anything but a sense of humour.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.