Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BUS & TRAIN PASSES FOR THE RETIRED IN SPAIN – INFO REQUIRED

BUS & TRAIN PASSES FOR THE RETIRED IN SPAIN – INFO REQUIRED

Old Aug 27th 2011, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

mdavidfrost is on a distinguished road
Default BUS & TRAIN PASSES FOR THE RETIRED IN SPAIN – INFO REQUIRED

Does anyone know anything about bus and train passes for the retired in Spain?

I'm returning to the city of Málaga after five years in Miami, where all I needed to get a free bus pass for unlimited travel on local buses and trains was proof of my age and my address.

No doubt it isn't that easy in Spain. Although I have an NIE and utility bills for proof of address, my residencia has expired. Can anyone tell me what documents are required?

Also, does a pass entitle you to completely free travel or just reduced fares on some or all buses and trains and within what geographical area?

David
Old Aug 27th 2011, 5:08 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BUS & TRAIN PASSES FOR THE RETIRED IN SPAIN – INFO REQUIRED

Originally Posted by mdavidfrost

I'm returning to the city of Málaga after five years in Miami, where all I needed to get a free bus pass for unlimited travel on local buses and trains was proof of my age and my address.

No doubt it isn't that easy in Spain. Although I have an NIE and utility bills for proof of address, my residencia has expired. Can anyone tell me what documents are required?

Also, does a pass entitle you to completely free travel or just reduced fares on some or all buses and trains and within what geographical area?

David
you'll need to sign on as resident again - the residencia you had before no longer even exists

then the padrón & I think in some areas that's all you'll need

in my area at one time you also had to get some sort of proof from the UK pension office - but I think they stopped that
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks lynnxa. What you said is more or less what I expected as far as documents go.

I know I won't get a residencia card when I register as a resident again, which is why I got bank cards with a photo one summer when I was in Spain, so that I didn't have to carry my passport around to buy with plastic.

Do you happen to know if the pass that I get at the municipal bus office in Málaga will be valid or buses outside the city and on the local RENFE trains?

Also, do you travel completely free, or are there just reduced fares?

Bus and train travel is very cheap in Málaga compared with the USA or the UK, but with the pound so low against the euro and my pensions in sterling, every little helps.

David
Old Aug 27th 2011, 7:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The train one is called a gold card (tarjeta oro) and allows reductions on fares, but not free.
Last one i got was from the ticket office at the train station, cost 5€`s and lasts for a year, so should save you money.
He didn`t ask for any ID or padron and just gave me the ticket, maybe my grey hair influenced him.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks jdr. Now I know what that tarjeta oro option in the ticket machines means. I'll ask at the María Zambrano Station in Málaga.
David
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdavidfrost

David
Train card is, as above, la carta dorada & is about €6. You get up to 40% reduction. The card is renewed annually.
For buses, you have to be 65 at least! That entitles you to a red card which gives you very reduced tarriffs.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi retired in euzkadi,

Thanks for your reply.

I now have the Tarjeta Dorada for trains, which I think cost me €5, using my expired residencía. However, here in Málaga, unlike in the Basque country, it seems that my income from pensions is too high to qualify for reduced bus fares. There's a limit of €700.

David