Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bus services Chiclana/Barossa/Novo Sancti

Bus services Chiclana/Barossa/Novo Sancti

Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future
Question Bus services Chiclana/Barossa/Novo Sancti

This one is a bit specific but I know that a couple of members live around the Chiclana area so someone might know.... I'm not yet a fully fledged local. We have a house at La Loma, just near the Tartessus hotel. The local bus route is a bit of a mystery to me. I know that if you walk up the road to the Rui Chiclana hotel there's a bus stop for a number 8 bus and it goes into Novo Sancti Petri, Barossa and then I think also to Chiclana.

But the mystery is... there's only bus stops on one side of the road down that part of the road, as far as I can see, going towards NSP and then presumably onto Barossa etc. I also know there is a No 8 bus stop outside the commercial centre in NSP by the Iberostar hotel and that one seems to be going out of town towards the Rui again, but again no bus stops on the other side of the road, so I'm assuming the bus does a circular loop ... but does anyone know whether I'm correct in assuming that's what it does. And is it only the Novo Sancti Petri bit that is a loop? Ie when it goes on to Barossa does it go in both directions or what????

I haven't managed to work it out yet... and I'd like to use the bus service when I'm there but my spanish isn't brilliant so I can't ask the driver and I don't want to find myself on the bus on a magical mystery tour, (although that is one way of finding out where it goes).. Also anyone any idea of how much it costs... or any other info on local bus services, ie into Jerez, Medina Sidonia etc? I would like to not have to rely on my husband driving me everywhere as so far I've been too weedy to try driving on the other side of the road and I'd like to be a bit more independent when we do get over there.

The house gets rented out in the summer and it would be nice to be able to tell people about the local bus service too.

Any info gratefully received, thanks.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bus services Chiclana/Barossa/Novo Sancti

Originally Posted by cindyp
This one is a bit specific but I know that a couple of members live around the Chiclana area so someone might know.... I'm not yet a fully fledged local. We have a house at La Loma, just near the Tartessus hotel. The local bus route is a bit of a mystery to me. I know that if you walk up the road to the Rui Chiclana hotel there's a bus stop for a number 8 bus and it goes into Novo Sancti Petri, Barossa and then I think also to Chiclana.

But the mystery is... there's only bus stops on one side of the road down that part of the road, as far as I can see, going towards NSP and then presumably onto Barossa etc. I also know there is a No 8 bus stop outside the commercial centre in NSP by the Iberostar hotel and that one seems to be going out of town towards the Rui again, but again no bus stops on the other side of the road, so I'm assuming the bus does a circular loop ... but does anyone know whether I'm correct in assuming that's what it does. And is it only the Novo Sancti Petri bit that is a loop? Ie when it goes on to Barossa does it go in both directions or what????

I haven't managed to work it out yet... and I'd like to use the bus service when I'm there but my spanish isn't brilliant so I can't ask the driver and I don't want to find myself on the bus on a magical mystery tour, (although that is one way of finding out where it goes).. Also anyone any idea of how much it costs... or any other info on local bus services, ie into Jerez, Medina Sidonia etc? I would like to not have to rely on my husband driving me everywhere as so far I've been too weedy to try driving on the other side of the road and I'd like to be a bit more independent when we do get over there.

The house gets rented out in the summer and it would be nice to be able to tell people about the local bus service too.

Any info gratefully received, thanks.
If you go into the centre of Chiclana across the bridge from where they are building the new multi storey car park there is the bus station. I am sure you should be able to get buses from there to Medina and Cadiz. Also I have a chiclana telephone directory and in the front it gives the following for linea 8 - Centro-Almendral-Mayte-Los Gallos-La Barrosa, Novo S.P- La Barrosa-Los Gallos-El Campito. Buses seem to run frequently up until 1000 hrs and then every 30 mins until 23.30. Hope this helps. By the way take the bull by the horns when you come over in the Autumn and start driving, start a short distance at a time. I did this last year starting in Barossa which is amazingly quiet from 1st September. You will soon get used to it and it is so important to be independent.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Bus services Chiclana/Barossa/Novo Sancti

Originally Posted by glynis
If you go into the centre of Chiclana across the bridge from where they are building the new multi storey car park there is the bus station. I am sure you should be able to get buses from there to Medina and Cadiz. Also I have a chiclana telephone directory and in the front it gives the following for linea 8 - Centro-Almendral-Mayte-Los Gallos-La Barrosa, Novo S.P- La Barrosa-Los Gallos-El Campito. Buses seem to run frequently up until 1000 hrs and then every 30 mins until 23.30. Hope this helps. By the way take the bull by the horns when you come over in the Autumn and start driving, start a short distance at a time. I did this last year starting in Barossa which is amazingly quiet from 1st September. You will soon get used to it and it is so important to be independent.
Thanks for that info Glynis, that explains a lot, it does seem to go in a loop around Barossa and NSP then which would be the reason why the bus stops are only on one side of the road!

I was going to have a go at driving last time we were there a couple of weeks back but didn't do it. I did drive back from the centre of NSP once on a previous visit (about a 5 min drive) but I couldnt do the gears in the other hand and drive at the same time so my husband had to do the gears - we had a system of him shouting 'Clutch!' and changing gear for me whilst I concentrated on the rest. It was quite a laugh and we got back home OK but next time I drive I think I need to get used to the gears!!!

cindy
Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Good point Cindy.
We have our rhd car still so I don't have that problem changing gears etc. Wait until the Autumn and try again it really is worth it. The obvious reason is clothes shopping - who wants their man there when buying clothes they just get in the way!
By the way Mango are opening up in Bahia Sur shopping centre.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glynis
Good point Cindy.
We have our rhd car still so I don't have that problem changing gears etc. Wait until the Autumn and try again it really is worth it. The obvious reason is clothes shopping - who wants their man there when buying clothes they just get in the way!
By the way Mango are opening up in Bahia Sur shopping centre.
You are so right about the clothes shopping... I must have a proper look in Bahia Sur, so far I've only done rushed hits in carrefours whilst we have been getting the house sorted out. That furnishings shop on the way out always intrigues me with all the brightly coloured linen etc but my husband is always running ahead with that 'keep up' look on his face and I've never yet had a chance to go in there. LIkewise with El Corte Ingles and all the other shops there that I've been dying to get a look at. Will make a change to go to Mango or Zara instead of Polanco and Carrefours!!!

But until they stop changing the road layout on the way in and out I think I will let the other half drive, we have got lost every time so far as the junctions that we last used changes in the few months since we last went.

We did go to Novo Sancti Petri and have a look at the shops there but I picked up a pair of jeans and put them down again really quickly when I realised they were 170 euro!!!! They wanted something like 80 euro for a pair of jeans for a 13 year old too... they are lovely shops there but blimey a bit out of my price range. Suppose that's what comes of buying a house in a posh area, I can't afford to acutally shop there!!!

But we are going to visit again September or October so I will try and be brave.with the driving

take care

Cindy..

cindy