British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Burning bulls (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/burning-bulls-845821/)

rspltd Oct 25th 2014 9:48 am

Burning bulls

When you read about people wanting to emigrate to Spain for a better life and to immerse themselves in the Spanish culture, perhaps it should be pointed out that this is part of the culture they are seeking
Help Stop the Sadistic 'Fire Bull' Festival in Soria | Take Action | PETA.org.uk - 1

Neptuno Oct 25th 2014 11:06 am

Re: Burning bulls

Those who do this , and those who condone this are nothing more than barbaric, inhumane barsxxxxs.
What a rotten image of Spain
Do decent Spaniards really want to be associated with this?

cliff b Oct 25th 2014 12:27 pm

I wouldn't consider going to a bullfight never mind this barbaric atrocity!!!!

The Spanish government and people should be ashamed of their selves for allowing this, and to call it entertainment,,,,,,,, i would question their sanity!!!

bobd22 Oct 25th 2014 12:42 pm

I agree with the comments so far, disgusting and barbaric custom and treatment.

jjh Oct 25th 2014 12:51 pm

Sign the petition and show your disgust. I have.

bxpuser24710519 Oct 25th 2014 1:50 pm

I am absolutely against cruelty to animals, unfortunately the way this petition is worded means I would have to lie to sign it.

I have not and will not go to anything like this in any country. I cannot see how any decent human could sanction this for any reason. The people who allow these 'events' are as bad if not worse then the people who actually do the evil act.

big wheels Oct 25th 2014 5:36 pm

This is a part of Spanish culture that belongs in the dark ages.
However I will not sign any petition supporting the fanatical peta org :thumbdown:

bobd22 Oct 25th 2014 7:51 pm

Yes I too as a meat eater could not sign this without being a hypocritical given the beliefs of the organisation.

stuboy Oct 26th 2014 12:42 am

I suspect the same people who oppose this also oppose the recent beheading in Iran.

I suspect that many people were opposed to Saddam Hussein's treatment of his own people.

The same for Afghanistan where over 80% of the worlds heroin is grown.

Colonel Gaddafi took no prisoners.

Or the Libyan regimes use of chemical weapons.

But yet we impose our Western liberal values and sensitivities on the whole world and feign indignation from behind a keyboard and do nothing practical.

The rest of the world does things differently than us, it doesn't make them wrong.

scot47 Oct 26th 2014 1:05 pm

PETA are a bunch of ultra loonies.

rugbymatt Oct 27th 2014 6:52 am

Originally Posted by stuboy (Post 11450637)
I suspect the same people who oppose this also oppose the recent beheading in Iran.

I suspect that many people were opposed to Saddam Hussein's treatment of his own people.

The same for Afghanistan where over 80% of the worlds heroin is grown.

Colonel Gaddafi took no prisoners.

Or the Libyan regimes use of chemical weapons.

But yet we impose our Western liberal values and sensitivities on the whole world and feign indignation from behind a keyboard and do nothing practical.

The rest of the world does things differently than us, it doesn't make them wrong.

Eh?

bobd22 Oct 27th 2014 11:13 am

But we are entitled to hold an opinion on it just as we are entitled to hold an opinion on the organisation that posts it. You can agree with one without agreeing with the others principles or everything they stand for.

IamStu Oct 27th 2014 2:45 pm

I´m yet to meet a Spaniard in favour of such "fiestas".
Likewise with bull fighting.
I knew many brits in favour of fox hunting, but I think I lived too far south to know any badger baiters.
All of which looks pretty lame to how the chinese fur farms treat those animals!!!
For me, I would put an end to all "death" "sports" but to sign anything by PETA, no can do. Sorry!

Lenox Oct 30th 2014 3:28 pm

I know many Spaniards who support la corrida, I also know a vet who works at the bullrings, and I also known the son of a famous bullfighter from the fifties and sixties. It's all part of Life, and in this case, Death. You can't pretend those two states don't exist.
Putting pitch on bulls' horns and setting them on fire (as is done in the Carrebou in Catalonia), is horrible I agree, but is horse racing so much nicer? According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equine_fatalities_in_the_Grand_National, some of them die. How about mounting butterflies with a pin?
It doesn't make people any the worse for enjoying a bullfight, indeed it might make them better. Go and see one.

IamStu Oct 30th 2014 3:40 pm

A horse bread for racing actually wants to run. Fact!
I´m not sure a bull wants to be slowly stabbed to death, or have their heads set on fire!
As for watching such an event making one a better person, I beg to differ.
In fact I´d go as far as to say it would put one in the dwindling minority group of sadistic sick minded freaks that I consider such people to be!