Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Building on Rural (Rustic) Land?

Building on Rural (Rustic) Land?

Old Apr 30th 2007, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

IntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Building on Rural (Rustic) Land?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
This was the other link I found when we were thinking about a few things.
Oooo yeah! It looks like they've got a natural swimming pool (says chlorine-free). That's something else I've designed into my plans. Nicely spotted
Old Apr 30th 2007, 5:59 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IntuitiveNipple
Oooo yeah! It looks like they've got a natural swimming pool (says chlorine-free). That's something else I've designed into my plans. Nicely spotted
someone I work with on larger projects is a natural pool designer, I'm sure he would be happy to talk to you, they build quite a few a year.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:02 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I also have this book, it is amazing and full of really stunning info, pics and inspiring people.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

IntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura about

It's fantastic just how much prior art there is out there if you search, although a shame it isn't presented in a more systematic way that regular construction businesses might find appealing.

I've been working on a self-supporting vaulted straw-bale roof with a shallow arch (very large diameter) using bevelled bales and twine punched through to compress the span.

A university researcher in Australia did some construction-code tests on a similar style, as did a firm of architects in San Francisco, and they both found that the bale-roof can survive both earthquakes and wind-sheer much better than conventional roofs, and its elasticity is vastly superior in both scenarios.

I'm toying with the idea of combining this with a long-straw thatch weather-proofing, if the angle of the roof is sufficient to ensure the rain runs off rather than through!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:17 pm
Straw Man.

It's fantastic just how much prior art there is out there if you search, although a shame it isn't presented in a more systematic way that regular construction businesses might find appealing.

I've been working on a self-supporting vaulted straw-bale roof with a shallow arch (very large diameter) using bevelled bales and twine punched through to compress the span.

A university researcher in Australia did some construction-code tests on a similar style, as did a firm of architects in San Francisco, and they both found that the bale-roof can survive both earthquakes and wind-sheer much better than conventional roofs, and its elasticity is vastly superior in both scenarios.

I'm toying with the idea of combining this with a long-straw thatch weather-proofing, if the angle of the roof is sufficient to ensure the rain runs off rather than through!

Sounds like such a buz mate, I would love to see the end results.

What I find the most amazing thing is that here in Britain we lived in round houses longer than in "conventional" long houses yet we have turned our back on them in a flash.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like such a buz mate, I would love to see the end results.
You're welcome to come along and help
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:51 pm
Straw Man.

You're welcome to come along and help
I would love that, we build loads of structures mainly out of oak with work, this is a "continuous" fence I did this winter.
Attached Thumbnails Building on Rural (Rustic) Land?-sheep-fencing-022.jpg  
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

I would love that, we build loads of structures mainly out of oak with work, this is a "continuous" fence I did this winter.
Oh that is superb. Brings back memories of my grand-father's farm in Lincolnshire when I was a kid. They still practised a lot of the traditional crafts.

If everything goes to dream (I daren't say plan else I'll be tempting fate) then I'll have the land this time next year and by harvest-time have all the necessary permissions in place.

My intention is to build in stages since I'm aiming for at least 7 bedrooms. First stage will be to install all the power and water infrastructure and build at least 2 bedrooms plus wet-rooms, kitchen, and living area.

Depending on lessons learned from that the remaining rooms and outbuildings will be added in 1 or 2 stages, with the intention of completing the external walls and roofs before winter. The internals can then be tackled on a more relaxed time-frame.

Of course nothing ever goes to plan, but provided I know what I'm up against and do my research I think the entire project will be fun.

Several friends here in the UK have already volunteered their services in return for a free vacation and exposure to my cooking (probably an army tent, bunks, and cooking on an open fire ). From everything I've read of other straw-bale builds its a great way to connect with the local community too.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Intuitive Nipple,

I was wondering why you hadn't been posting much recently, but now I know!
You must have been very busy doing all this researching and designing
Your house and your ideas sound wonderful; good on you!
You've obviously got a lot of skill and courage, and I really hope it all works out for you

Please do keep us all up to date with how your land search and build project is going; it sounds like it will be very interesting reading.

All good wishes,
Sam.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:16 pm
Straw Man.

Oh that is superb. Brings back memories of my grand-father's farm in Lincolnshire when I was a kid. They still practised a lot of the traditional crafts.

If everything goes to dream (I daren't say plan else I'll be tempting fate) then I'll have the land this time next year and by harvest-time have all the necessary permissions in place.

My intention is to build in stages since I'm aiming for at least 7 bedrooms. First stage will be to install all the power and water infrastructure and build at least 2 bedrooms plus wet-rooms, kitchen, and living area.

Depending on lessons learned from that the remaining rooms and outbuildings will be added in 1 or 2 stages, with the intention of completing the external walls and roofs before winter. The internals can then be tackled on a more relaxed time-frame.

Of course nothing ever goes to plan, but provided I know what I'm up against and do my research I think the entire project will be fun.

Several friends here in the UK have already volunteered their services in return for a free vacation and exposure to my cooking (probably an army tent, bunks, and cooking on an open fire ). From everything I've read of other straw-bale builds its a great way to connect with the local community too.
IN I also have a bit of experience in the building trade, step dads a developer and he gave us no handouts, we had to work, so I would be interested in coming and helping me, PM me mate.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brisca
I was wondering why you hadn't been posting much recently, but now I know!
I have to confess that this is not the case - I had to be a slave to the keyboard in preparation for a meeting last week. If it hadn't been for that meeting I was going to fly out to Spain with Andrew (although I'd only have been doing a recce, not staying!).

I've been developing and testing these plans for several years, endlessly refining and updating them as technology advances.
Please do keep us all up to date with how your land search and build project is going; it sounds like it will be very interesting reading.
Indeed I will. I've been trying to keep all the research information and web-site bookmarks organised in a local installation of WordPress (that is blogging software to you) but have been considering making it available online for others to use and comment on.

I anticipate that getting a grip on the local regulations and synchronising them with an optimal build schedule will be the most difficult part of the entire project (Hence my desire to have early command of the language and nuances of the bureaucracy).

Being a farm-boy I'm intensely practical and can turn my hand to anything on the design and build side, and it's a perfect excuse to stay away from computers during the day-time.

If it goes well I have it in the back of my mind to set-up a design & build consultancy, training centre and demonstration facility to promote this kind of building and the related technologies.
All good wishes,
Sam.
Thanks Sam, I appreciate them. I'll make sure you get an invite to the official opening, although you may have to provide your own scissors for cutting the tape
Old May 1st 2007, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

I thought these quotes from my ongoing research might be useful to others:
Unlike urban land, where the rules are laid down by the local town hall, it is the regional government who makes the rules regarding the minimum size of the building plot in rustic areas. In this case the authority comes from Valencia and the law requires a minimum area of 10,000 m2.

However, rustic land may be sub categorised into three distinct types namely Protected, Restricted or building land. It does not always follow therefore, that because the plot is 10,000m2 or greater that it will be possible to build. These categories are shown on the General Plan available in the local town hall and should be checked before any agreement to purchase is made.
How big can you build?
Area Occupancy
This is always fixed at 2% of the plot size
EG on a plot of 10,000m2 it is possible to build the ground floor to a maximum of 200m2
Total Construction
This is always fixed at 4% of the plot size.
On a plot of 10,000m2 it is possible to build two floors each of 200m2 making a total constructed area of 400m2.

It should be noted that these are the maximum areas of occupancy and construction however they exclude a cellar, (which may be the same area as the ground floor,) terracing, porches/pergolas and a swimming pool.

There are other rules governing the maximum height of the building. Rustic houses are restricted to two floors. Rules vary as to the height of sold boundary walls typically 1 to 1.80 metres.

Ascetic appearance

As you might expect, in order to maintain a traditional country house effect, properties built in rustic land should be designed to fit in with the country style. Such houses are commonly known as Finca's. and are often clad in natural stone.

Rules regarding aesthetics are laid down by the Town Hall and therefore vary from area to area. Benissa Town Hall for example has particularly stringent rules concerning the direction of the roof-line, types of windows, number and dimensions of arches, etc etc. Other towns have less rigid restrictions.
Source: thelandregister.com Building Regulations In Spain
Old May 1st 2007, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Another small snippet I found whilst Googling which might assist:
Every town hall operates differently and there are always loop holes to all kind of restrictions, it is just a case of researching and finding them out. There are lots of steps that people take to help their case, such as registering as almond farmers, in order to be granted permission to build on finca rustica which requires that the land be used for farming purposes.
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

BBC News is carrying an interesting article today: Harvesting houses for the planet
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Registering as farmers may well be a requirement.

In Andalucia, since early 2003, the minimum rustic plot size for a vivienda is 30000m2 and you need to be a registered farmer - that means fully registered and paying social security.

You will also need to be sure that the local building regs will allow the sort of construction you are talking about. Your architect should be able to advise you on this. If the College of Architects do not approve it you will not get a building licence.

Best of luck with it - it sounds like a very interesting project.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.