Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Building in Mallorca: advice needed

Building in Mallorca: advice needed

Old Mar 26th 2019, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

NatashaD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Building in Mallorca: advice needed

Hi all, my husband and I are considering buying a plot of land and building a prefabricated house on Mallorca. We’ve previously visited a number of properties, but there has always been too much to compromise on. The idea is to build an efficient 3-bedroom property on a land which allows pool construction, ie >15.000 sqm.
We’ve done a fair bit of home work and are lining up visits, as well as meetings with construction/ project management companies for early May. We’re aware that the process can be very complicated, and would therefore highly appreciate input from anyone, who went down the same way and has experience in building or can share contacts in the field. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 10:30 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building in Mallorca: advice needed

The building rules in Spain tend to differ significantly depending on the region. Unless the information you get is based on information and experiences in Mallorca, treat it carefully as it may not be relevant.

Having bought a plot and built on it in Andalucia, I would be happy to share my experiences, but sadly, it is probably not relevant.

All I would say is that in every region, the bureaucracy involved can be terrifying!
Old Mar 27th 2019, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaD
Hi all, my husband and I are considering buying a plot of land and building a prefabricated house on Mallorca. We’ve previously visited a number of properties, but there has always been too much to compromise on. The idea is to build an efficient 3-bedroom property on a land which allows pool construction, ie >15.000 sqm.
We’ve done a fair bit of home work and are lining up visits, as well as meetings with construction/ project management companies for early May. We’re aware that the process can be very complicated, and would therefore highly appreciate input from anyone, who went down the same way and has experience in building or can share contacts in the field. Thanks in advance.
Not familiar with Mallorca but I do know that even in Mallorca different areas have different regulations but overall the process is the same and everything needs a license. Do you have the land already, or are you searching for land at the moment?
Old Mar 28th 2019, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both. We’re aware that bureaucracy can be overwhelming, and the rules vary by region, thus looking for specific information regarding Mallorca.
We have two plots in mind, which we will visit next month, but we won’t buy until we have all required information.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 8:13 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

If it's "urban" zoned, what you can build is up to the township that oversees it.

If it's in the campo or otherwise classed as "rustica", then you need 14000 sq. Meters of land to build anything that will be for habitation (agricultural buildings are different). You can build up to about 400 sq. meters of living space on 14000 meters of land. That will include outdoor terraces, pool area, etc.

It's actually not that bureaucratic. It's really quite simple. You have an architect submit the plans, and usually it will take a month or two to get the permission. Getting a reliable builder is a different issue.
​​​​​​
Any decent architect can submit the plans and connect you to the right builders.

Services can be quite bureaucratic. Endesa, the electric company, is a monopoly. They couldn't give a hoot whether you need it or not, or if you can afford it. Any work they do is outrageously expensive. They are a slow, tedious dinosaur. The paperwork and bureaucracy of endesa is stunning. Get an independent electrician to advise you on how to navigate that. You'll thank me.

Telephone and internet is highly competitive. Conectabalear seems to offer the best services at competitive prices. They can get you phone and internet just about anywhere. And they're very responsive. Very reasonable. Forget Movistar (Telefonica) they're worthless. Avoid IBred. They're slightly cheaper than Conectabalear, but slow, unresponsive, and can't offer anywhere near the same services.

Water is another issue. If you're in the campo, you can use water delivery by truck. You'll need to build a "deposito", a water tank (build at least 15000 litres! You'll thank me for that too). Usually underground. Getting permission for a well can take up to 5 years. So, assume you'll be getting your water by lorry at first. Sewage is another issue. You'll need a septic tank. Widely available, not terribly expensive. Effective.

Last edited by amideislas; Apr 3rd 2019 at 8:35 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by amideislas
Telephone and internet is highly competitive. Conectabalear seems to offer the best services at competitive prices. They can get you phone and internet just about anywhere. And they're very responsive. Very reasonable. Forget Movistar (Telefonica) they're worthless..
Oh, slightly off the main topic of this post, but this part jumped out at me. I have been with Movistar for over 2 years. I have a fibre connection all the way to my apartment, and have to say that the service has been fine, I've had no service issues at all. But what I do have an issue with is the cost. I only require a reasonable speed internet connection, not a full blown TV/mobile/landline package, and Movistar don't do that. I've managed to get the monthly cost down to 48, but I'll certainly take a look at Conectabalear. Cheers amideislas.

Edit: Actually just checked with Conectabalear, and despite being a bit cheaper (39 for 30Mb Fibre) they don't supply my area anyway. Ah well, looks like I have to bite the bullet with Movistar for a bit longer...

Last edited by SportyPorty; Apr 9th 2019 at 10:50 am. Reason: Update
Old Apr 15th 2019, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Amideislas, your response gives me hope! Can you possibly recommend a good architect? Thank you!