Building laws

Old Dec 3rd 2014, 9:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Building laws

In February 2012 we had our roof terrace redone to stop the rain seeping into our bedroom so that I would not have the worry once I was living here alone. Last Sunday we had really heavy rain but it was Tuesday before I thought to look and was amazed that there were big wet patches. Left a message for the builder who came quickly but only to say that he will return on Saturday. He speaks very rapidly with a strong accent so I have great difficulty with him.

What I need to know before he returns is whether there are any building laws that say that he has to do the work for free due to the roof proving not to be waterproof? I know that there are laws regarding a new build but not about house renovations or repairs so please give me the benefit of your knowledge.

Rosemary
Old Dec 4th 2014, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building laws

Originally Posted by Rosemary
In February 2012 we had our roof terrace redone to stop the rain seeping into our bedroom so that I would not have the worry once I was living here alone. Last Sunday we had really heavy rain but it was Tuesday before I thought to look and was amazed that there were big wet patches. Left a message for the builder who came quickly but only to say that he will return on Saturday. He speaks very rapidly with a strong accent so I have great difficulty with him.

What I need to know before he returns is whether there are any building laws that say that he has to do the work for free due to the roof proving not to be waterproof? I know that there are laws regarding a new build but not about house renovations or repairs so please give me the benefit of your knowledge.

Rosemary
I assume you got an invoice from him. If you didn't you'll have to rely on his good nature. If he refuses to re-do the job properly just use the word 'denuncia'. It's usually enough. But I wouldn't assume you have a bad 'un and start throwing these sort of threats around unless he tries to wriggle out. It's a last resort really.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 6:15 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Specifically, there are no such laws that I am aware of. Certainly no NHBC or such like as you would get on new builds.

As said, if you got an invoice (and didn't pay in black), then you should be able to get him to fix any problems as you will always be able to make a formal complaint otherwise.

If you paid in black - then he may or may not try and fix it.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 6:32 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

It can be very difficult to eliminate water leaks from a flat roof.

Water leak may or may not be due to shoddy workmanship? If it is, builder should make good any repairs for free. As has been said if he does not you can denounce him at the town hall.

You are in a better situation than you would be in the UK. I would suggest you take some digital photos of the issue.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:17 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I always make sure that I gain licences, estimates and invoices and use reputable people so I am well covered on that, thank goodness. The builder is a neighbour and the most expensive in the town so I am hoping that it will not end up as a denouncia but who knows.

I noticed the wet patched on Tuesday morning and did not think about taking photo´s until the afternoon so it had dried out a little and when he came in the evening it was difficult to see properly in the electric light and I forgot to show him the photo´s so I will do that on Saturday.

Graham used to paint the roof with the waterproof paint but of course he could not do that in his last few years so we decided that instead of paying someone to do this on a regular basis we would have the roof done properly to save future worry and stress. You can imagine my shock when I saw the large wet patches, I did not think logically for several hours hence the delay with the camera.

Rosemary
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:28 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully your builder will sort the issue. Waterproof paint should not be necessary.

From bitter experience I have found, most expensive is not always best.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:54 am

He has a good reputation around the town, I really only used him as he is so accessible for me. He has just arrived actually with another fellow, they looked at the ceiling and of course can see only slight discolouration now, then went onto the roof. When they came down I showed them the photo´s and they are now up on the roof again complete with some tools so I am hopeful. However, now I will never feel relaxed when it rains.

Rosemary
Old Dec 4th 2014, 9:22 am
Started off with nothing

I am pleased your builder is so prompt - that is a very good indication that he will do his very best to resolve the issue.

Owning a house is a constant source of expense and worry.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 10:27 am

OK, they used a hosepipe and a lot of water to prove that the roof itself is not at fault but that the seepage has occurred because the washroom wall badly needs the protection of paint. It was painted regularly by Graham up until the end of 2009 but not since then so it does sound feasible. He showed me the problem by hosing the wall and the paint washed off easily. He gabbled on and on so I did not get everything that he said but did get the bare bones.

Rosemary
Old Dec 4th 2014, 10:34 am
Started off with nothing

Sounds like he has investigated and come up with one likely(?) source of your water ingress. Hopefully he has a proposal to rectify?

I would suggest rendering rather than painting a wall which lets in penetrating water.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by missile
Sounds like he has investigated and come up with one likely(?) source of your water ingress. Hopefully he has a proposal to rectify?

I would suggest rendering rather than painting a wall which lets in penetrating water.
Thank you for that suggestion. When he was gabbling away he mentioned leaving things as they are for a couple of days for the wall to dry out again after he had lambasted it with the hose but I do not think that he suggested rendering. He definitely said about rubbing the old paint off and repainting.

Thank you for your support, it is great to be able to talk it over with someone.

Rosemary
Old Dec 4th 2014, 11:43 am
Started off with nothing

Pleased to help. If you were a bit closed, I would offer to come have a look. Good luck.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by missile
Pleased to help. If you were a bit closed, I would offer to come have a look. Good luck.
That is so kind of you.

Further to the saga, the builder returned this afternoon to patch up the hole that he had made in the wall when testing it and told me that a painter was coming. Initially I was not happy because I have a favourite painter but he knew who had painted the outside of my house and had called him. They discussed the wall in depth and the outcome is that the builder has done some remedial work in preparation for the painter and it will be painted next week. Hopefully I will then be able to relax.

Rosemary